• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Man, you guys always love to dish some crap.:icon_mi_1 I am just saying that you are not going to blow your chances of getting an SNA slot because of some speeding tickets, and some people on the boards actually like to see them. I heard this from a retired Navy test pilot instructor who was in a position to know such facts, as well as my OR. I am not saying they are going to send you straight to jets because you drive like these guys:

1969-Dodge-Charger-General-Lee-DOH-Barn-1024x768.jpg

It would be sweet if they did though!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy does want type A personalities but they don't want IDIOTS. Getting a few speeding tickets is no problem. Getting large numbers of excessive speeding tickets is just STUPID.

The Navy used to test for TYPE A behavior using the BI section of the ASTB, but they no longer use it as a qualifier. If I had two equal candidates and one had multiple speeding tickets, I'd probably choose the one with out the baggage.

Have even been selected? Until you are selected, I'd be careful about the advice your are giving.

-ea6bflyr ;)

DavidC

Speed limit...limit load factor...both just a rough limit, right?

I doubt a ticket or two would be a deal breaker, but I feel better applying with a clean record. Pilots who exceed established limits frequently turn themselves (and their expensive aircraft) into smoking craters.

Edit: My ASTB was 9/9/9/67

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Navy does want type A personalities but they don't want IDIOTS. Getting a few speeding tickets is no problem. Getting large numbers of excessive speeding tickets is just STUPID.

Have even been selected? Until you are selected, I'd be careful about the advice your are giving.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Now thats the ticket, so to speak ;). Type A personalities manifest themselves different ways, and there are lots of Type A people. There is Type A stupid, and Type A not stupid. Type A stupid would be going 90 in a 45 with an open container on a dark and stormy night. Or in a naval aviation scenario, exceeding limit load factors, flying sick while under the influence of prescription meds, and busting weather mins on low level just to complete the mission and get weapons on target. Type A not stupid is vice president of his motorcycle club and takes his rice burning crotch rocket out to the track on track days, he plays lead guitar in a rock band, he walks quickly with his head up, aware of his surroundings, in the morning he follows a routine that insures he efficiently and quickly prepares for the day and his daily tasks are completed logically without missing anything.

Put simply, there are desirable Type A traits and undesirable Type A traits for a prospective Naval Aviator. How the hell is the Board going to discern which is which in an applicant based on speeding tickets not knowing the facts surround each case? Well, I'll tell you one way. Too many tickets is bad. You don't learn from getting fined a few hundred dollars and having your insurance go up. The traffic school didn't make any impression on you because your sh!t doesn't stink and you know better then anyone else. The threat of losing your license and the ability to get to work or school didn't make an impression on you. How many is too many? In my day it was usually a couple in a year got attention. Over four in the typical 4-5 year driving career of the typical OCS applicant got attention. Never, ever, was there a benefit to an applicant for having traffic tickets. It was simply a matter of how many before they became a detriment. MAKK85 you are full of sh!t. You have not been a Navy recruiter, you have never talked to anyone on an OCS selection board, you have never been briefed on selection criteria by an OCS selection board, you don't know people on the OCS selection board, you have never passed judgment on the suitability of anyone to be an officer or Naval Aviator. You have never sat on a Navy promotion board, aircraft commander board or mission commander board. You have not been selected yourself. You are not a psychologist. If you want to know about high speed flutter and dynamic instability, ask your test pilot friend. About OCS selection for aviation, he doesn't know what he is talking about.

For cimixcoati: ANY driving and alcohol incident is going to hurt, real bad. Talk to your recruiter about all the details. Unless you have a very strong app and tell a very good story about the open container incident, you will have a very tough time.

femaviator

split?

I was told by my recruiter that I could split up the OAR and ASTB sections. That I can take the OAR part on wednesday and then come back and take the ASTB part on friday. Is that allowed? Will it make my score inelligible by taking it on 2 seperate days?

FireDraconian

I took the ASTB and scored a 5/5/5 57 - my recruiter said this was a good score, so I didn't worry, but when the board came up, I didn't get selected. Now he's telling me to retake the ASTB and get five points higher so I can resubmit.

Is my OAR really too low? Or should I be focusing more on the 5/5/5? Does the resubmission depend on the OAR score or the other three, or some combination? Would a good score on the ASTB be screwed by a bad score on the PRT?

Krafty1

Head in the clouds
my recruiter won't even send an app in unless the OAR score is above 50, and your score is well above that. Did you apply SNA/NFO? If that were the case you want to raise the first 3 numbers, particularly the second and third above a 6 at least. I suppose thats good that he wants you to retake the ASTB, your recruiter must feel that is your only controllable weakness in your app.

Lobster

Man, you guys always love to dish some crap.

First of all "dish some crap", figure it out, the proper way to say that would be "you guys always love to dish it out" or "you guys always love to rag on people". What you said just adds to the head shakes you're getting from your earlier comments.

Welcome to the Navy...Don't say stupid sh!t and you won't get sh!t on...seems pretty simple.

As far as your claim that all the pilots you know are speeders and have the driving records to prove it...you must not know many pilots, or the ones you do know aren't happy with the civilian aircraft they fly, so when they get on the road they feel the need to prove something.

And with regards to your overall theory, someone on the board must have screwed up because I've never gotten a speeding ticket (knock on wood) and I've been selected for SNA...weird...

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Not that it makes a whole lot of difference, I realize my original comments were a bit overzealous, but I just got pro-rec'd for SNA with a long list of speeding tickets. I am not saying go out and get tickets to help your application however don't get down on yourself just because you have a few.

prana

hey

does anybody know where is can find more practice exams for astb? i've already have the one from the gouge, barron , arco (which sux i don't recommend this guide).
is there anyone on else have problems with time constraint? i'm retaking this test and i just don't know how to do the problems any faster without making dumb miscalculation. my brain doesn't work that way.

swerdna

None
Contributor
hey

does anybody know where is can find more practice exams for astb? i've already have the one from the gouge, barron , arco (which sux i don't recommend this guide).
is there anyone on else have problems with time constraint? i'm retaking this test and i just don't know how to do the problems any faster without making dumb miscalculation. my brain doesn't work that way.

sorry buddy but it sounds like you've exhausted the testing aids. If you're not quick enough, you're just not quick enough.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Prana, one thing I found helpful in speeding up my math calcs was to practice the times tables and long division. It sounds like 4th grade all over, but if you can do the basic math in each problem faster, the problems get that much easier.

Also, there are several SAT/ACT type guides out there. Search this site as I think people have named several ones they found helpful.

Shockershot87

Prana,

If your going for Marines, there's a Marine ASTB practice guide out thats devoid of the spatial apperception parts, but I hear is pretty spot on for the Math, Mech, Aviation/Nautical that it contains. I have it.

PM me for it if you haven't gotten it yet.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Prana,

If your going for Marines, there's a Marine ASTB practice guide out thats devoid of the spatial apperception parts, but I hear is pretty spot on for the Math, Mech, Aviation/Nautical that it contains. I have it.

PM me for it if you haven't gotten it yet.

Bad gouge,

Marines and Navy take the exact same ASTB

Marines just don't care about the OAR score
but all the spatial apperception parts are the same as in, included.