• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BigL17

Also it sounds like the height is not listed, so you would have to use the pythagorean theorem to find it. Then you can use the area formula.

texasblood_1836

GPA/ASTB score requirements?

I am currently in the midst of the application process for the Marine Corps. Keeping in mind that this is indeed the Marine Corps, and NOT the Navy or Air Force, what would the expected GPA be for an applicant with an interest in the aviator MOS? Additionally, what scores should I shoot for on the ASTB?

I will be graduating soon from the University of Texas at Austin with my BA very soon. With that being said, it is a very competitive university. Keeping this in mind, I have a UTGPA of 2.4, yet my overall cumulative GPA (including transfer credits) is between a 2.9-3.0. Will this suffice if I score high enough on the ASTB? Thank you so much gents. I thoroughly appreciate everybody's willingness to answer questions on this forum.

eyes2theskies

Hungry for Flight
History?

For those who have taken the test, how much history is included in the nautical and aviation portions?

Oh, and Texas, just keep browsing the site. From what I've read, if you can make up for the weaker aspects of your package by being notably strong in other areas, you can very possibly be selected. Good luck!

Steve24

I took the test a little more than a month ago, but I seem to remember there being very little history if any. I would still look over war dates (d-day, etc.) and prominent figures in Naval History (John Paul Jones)...

Jynx

*Placeholder*
Contributor
For those who have taken the test, how much history is included in the nautical and aviation portions?

Oh, and Texas, just keep browsing the site. From what I've read, if you can make up for the weaker aspects of your package by being notably strong in other areas, you can very possibly be selected. Good luck!

I think it went about as deep as "What ship has the nick name old ironsides" for me...
Maybe one more about Who said "I'll be damned if I strike"

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
I had version 5 of the ASTB with no history that I can remember. At most maybe scan over the history info in the gouge and prep books just in case.

black2003ss

Hi. I'm new ot the site and need to introduce myself.

I just completed the ASTB this morning and scored a 7/7/7 with an OAR of 60. My OR told me that was very good and should compensate for my 2.79 GPA. I just simply didnt apply myself in college in my younger days. I'm 29 and took almost 10yrs to complete my BA.

So are these good scores?

I have tons of questions and lots of reading to do. I'm glad my recruiter gave me the link to this website.

The computerized test I took this morning had a little bit of history, basics of seamanship, and questions about parts and their functions of an airplane.

Thanks,
Doug

ru838434

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and guidance. There's a lot of great info on this site. I took the ASTB this morning and scored a 7/8/8 61.

zachass4

I am currently in the midst of the application process for the Marine Corps. Keeping in mind that this is indeed the Marine Corps, and NOT the Navy or Air Force, what would the expected GPA be for an applicant with an interest in the aviator MOS? Additionally, what scores should I shoot for on the ASTB?

I will be graduating soon from the University of Texas at Austin with my BA very soon. With that being said, it is a very competitive university. Keeping this in mind, I have a UTGPA of 2.4, yet my overall cumulative GPA (including transfer credits) is between a 2.9-3.0. Will this suffice if I score high enough on the ASTB? Thank you so much gents. I thoroughly appreciate everybody's willingness to answer questions on this forum.

Im currently in the process of trying to fly for the USMC myself and the way my OSO broke it down to me was you had to have a minimum 2.0 gpa in order to be qualified for OCS. As far as the ASTB goes, it's pass/fail with the Marines, and I think the minimum scores are 4/6 for the pilot rating and for NFO its 4/6 also, so if you want to qualify for all of the above its 4/6/6. I took the test yesterday and I scored 5/6/5 and they told me my scores were good enough for pilot so there you go.

axisofoil

I used the Arco book... it helped with the spatial, and seemed to be spot on with the level and variety of questions for Form 4. The gouge helped some to relieve my stress about taking it also.

I scored an 8/8/8 69. is that any good? :D

Review fighter codenames, and figure out what planes are used for carrier based operations (including carrier deliveries and logistics)... Figure out what navigation lights on planes/ships are. I had ~15 questions on runway marker lights and signal lights, as well as lights on boats.

cmixcoatl

First off, great site.

I am concerned if my speeding ticket and open container of alcohol violation will greatly diminish my chances of being offered a SNA or NFO contract. How much should I be worrying about this?

Thanks in advance.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
cmixcoatl: I have a pretty nasty driving record too, but they actually seem to like that I am an aggressive driver; guess it shows an aggressive personality which is crucial for a fighter pilot. As for your open alcohol violation just be up front and honest about it and it probably won't be an issue. According to my recruiter, typically, as long as you don't have multiple alcohol violations, the alcohol thing shouldn't be an issue. If you are a strong applicant in other areas (ASTB,PRT, GPA ect.) and have a good story about how you learned from your mistakes you should have no problem. In my limited experience it seems if you have what they are looking for in other areas they tend to overlook small issues like these.
Good luck with your app, I am sure you will be fine. Try using the search bar and you can look up other peoples stories that have gone through similar problems.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
It is definately funny but there is some truth to it. Who would probably be more fit for hardcore aerobatics and combat flying, a guy who gets scared everytime he gets over 45 mph or the guy who likes to push the limits a bit? Getting some speeding tickets shows you probably like to push the limits. Every pilot I know has a lead foot, and the less than perfect driving record that accompanies that type of personality.

MettGT

pilot
Right...because they already have that jet slot lined up for you because you have a couple of speeding tickets. :sleep_125 I'm sorry, I just find that line of thinking hilarious...