• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

BullGator

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2nd attempt at the ASTB gave me a 5/5/6 50. I applied in November for SNA/NFO but was not accepted. Now, I am wondering if I should re-take the ASTB for the final time and risk lowering my scores. I believe that my package was decent otherwise (3.8 GPA, excellent employment history) and hopefully I can get some better LOR's this time around. Any thoughts?
What were your 1st scores?
When did you take your 2nd ASTB?

If there was a (significant) improvement then apply again. Ask your OR before anything though. Maybe there is a way to otherwise improve your package like officer interviews, new community service, ect... Your OR will help you I'm sure. Good luck.

Thunderkiss

ENS - SNFO
/thread jack

OUSOONER, as you probably already know. Im a big GATOR fan. When are you coming to OCS. I hope it is soon I would sure like to see you as one of my classes INDOCS

/end thread jack

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
/thread jack

OUSOONER, as you probably already know. Im a big GATOR fan. When are you coming to OCS. I hope it is soon I would sure like to see you as one of my classes INDOCS

/end thread jack

That's okay I had Tim Tebow pray for me, so your powers are useless.

I haven't gotten my final select yet...so most likely a March or April class date.

MadRebel

Math Section

Been in the working world for a couple of years now and am having trouble studying for the math portion of the ASTB. I haven't done any math in about 4 years now because I just had to take Business Cal 1 and 2 for my major in college. I've looked at a couple gouges I've found on the internet but most just give the multiple choice answer and not how the answer is derived. I've also got the ARCO book but there are only so many problems in there and I'm afraid on the test they'll look totally different. My question is: Does anyone know of any sites that can help better prepare me for this section or am I just worrying a little too much?

Lobster

I went to the book store and just bought a basic math study guide. It covered algebra, geometry, and some calc. Good for the extra practice.

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
I thought the Barrons ASTB books were way better than the ARCO. A lot more information and study problems.

Also, study hard but don't be too worried. The books make the math portion seem harder than it actually is. You may be surprised.

But that's just my $0.02

Sennin

Sucker free since OH 3
Absolute life saver for me was:
"Cliffs Math Review for Standardized Tests"
ISBN: 0-8220-2033-5
Lists for 10.99, picked one up for 8

Its really super, cant say enough. I've taken a few stand. tests, and bought books for all of them, and I wish I had this thing. You can stick it in your pocket, and it covers everything, really really well, even breaks out all possible types of word problems and has a lot of good practice questions. Layout is concise, simple and easy to follow.

I honestly took like...two college alg. classes freshman year of college (1997-8) and forgot it all on purpose. A week with this thing, and Im solving quadratics in my sleep!

Good luck on the ASTB!

RabidMoose

I thought the Barrons ASTB books were way better than the ARCO. A lot more information and study problems.

Also, study hard but don't be too worried. The books make the math portion seem harder than it actually is. You may be surprised.

But that's just my $0.02

I agree...the Barrons book was great...just study that and take the practice tests to see how you do. Most of the math isn't that hard, for me the hardest part was not having a calculator. Just brush up on your basic multiplication/long division/fraction skills and you will be ok. The book will teach you the basic format of most of the problems so if you get that down your pretty well off.

batesdl

ASTB Scores/Credentials?

I posted a week ago regarding my ASTB Scores and some of my credentials. Now I have got together the majority and wanted you guys to see what you thought my chances are for SNA.

ASTB- 5/6/5-43
Associates of Arts Business- 3.8 GPA
Bachelor's of Science Business Mgt- 3.8 GPA
Master's of Business Administration- 3.8 GPA
Prior Naval Service 4 years Honorable Conditions
5 LOR's- CO, Test Pilot, Vice President of BE Aerospace, Director of BE Aerospace and a Project Manager.
Excellent High on PRT
Low and High Power Turn Qualified on F-18 A-F
Hold an A&P License
No criminal record
26 Years Old

Thanks a lot,

Dan

BTP1368

Pro-Rec SWO!!!
Hi, percentage wise I got an 86 and a 90 on the OAR portion of the Barron's practice tests. On the ASTB I got a 67 on the OAR portion. When you are using Barron's just be careful to watch out for typos, there were a lot, especially in the mechanical section.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^---- There is no way to predict or compare success using the study aides. The scoring for the ASTB is a complex formula only known by NOMI, who administer the test. Also, your score can vary compared to how well others around the nation did during the time you tested as well.

Do the best you can do, that's the best advice anybody can give you...and practice the problems over and over.

BullGator

Does anyone think before starting a new thread on the ASTB? There were two almost identical threads to this one made just about a week ago. :icon_rage

RabidMoose

I had barely if any trig or geometry problems when I took mine. No quadratic or anything like that either. It was mostly pure number crunching problems that required a little thought. None of the math is going to be super involved because for one you don't have a calculator and second its not made to test your overall knowledge of math formulas. It's made to see how quickly you can think through a problem and solve it. If I remember right I think you only have maybe a little over a minuet to solve each math problem. The practice tests in Barrons were very similar to the actually test. I've looked at the Arco after I had taken it and was glad that I hadn't gotten it. The problems were really nothing like the actual test. Just my opinion though.

Gills

Come on, Bullgator. Not everyone can use the search function like you, sir. It is clearly much too difficult. :bunny_125