• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
If you are taking the exam on a computer be sure to use the mark feature, skip the q's you don't know, then go back to answer them. If you're low on time, educated guesses are excellent and a must. Just relax, and as stated above, get a good night's rest and eat a healthy, but light, meal in the morning. Be sure that you're hydrated. Water is good for the mental faculties. And don't sweat it. :)

8WOOD

I just took the ASTB, and also studied from those guides. The math is much easier than the guides but everything else MC, SA,& N/A terms is much harder than the Barrons/Arco guide. I got a 6,6,6 55--which passes for the Marine Corps. I feel like I could do better if i took it again.

On the practice exams, I was missing 3-5 on Math, 3-5 on reading, 1-3 on mechancial comprehension, zero on spatial, and 5-7 on Nautical/aviation. However, on the actual test I know I missed way more than that.

Arco/Barrens do a horrible job of covering avation and nautical terms because they fail to cover specifics. The actual test is much more specific... for example the test might ask you what is the specific task of a "certain" fixed wing aicraft in the navy is--and not the obvious ones like fighter/attack/ or electic warfare. Know the different styles of aircraft parts--for example not just the empennage but the style of empennage not just an elevator but the type of elevator etc...

Hopefully this helps and good luck.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
The more resources to study from the better, and just like others are saying practice taking the tests timed so you learn the pace. I studied from Arco's, Barrons, Marine gouge and the NAMI pratice test and did great. These study guides prepare you for most of it. If you're new to aviation you will want to look into some of the FAA format publications out there that private pilots use to study for thier ground schools, Jeppesen makes a good one called the Private Pilot Manual (Big, hard cover brown book). I thought the actual test was easier than the study guides aside from a few random questions (they asked about reading binary...WTF?)
Good luck today, don't sweat it!

BullGator

...Jeppesen makes a good one called the Private Pilot Manual (Big, hard cover brown book). ...
There is also an online Private Pilots Handbook for free; it's linked several times on AWs somewhere. Just search for PPH, I believe.

So, how did you do today WingForce87? What were your scores?

WingForce87

I guess I failed to mention that I also took a PFT before my ASTB. So I was a little tired, but it wasn't too bad...

I felt that the ASTB was easier than the practice test in any of the study guides I looked at. I thought the mechanical and aviation sections were very straight foward and studying definately helped here. There was a study guide posted here on the boards that someone put together, which included a lot of questions from the ARCO guide, plus some others from various sources, it helped a LOT.

The most difficult part of the test was the last subtest. It was all quantitative, and some of the questions seemed to take forever just to read. I probably didn't do too well here, because I was really tired of doing calculations and felt like my mind was about to explode. So I guessed on a few.

Overall, I think I did pretty well on the test. It was done on paper so it will be another week or so before I know my scores. :(

8WOOD

Overall, I think I did pretty well on the test. It was done on paper so it will be another week or so before I know my scores. :(

I got a 6/6/6/ and i thought I failed it after taking it; so if you feel like you did good, I'm guessing you'll score higher than I did.

And yes waiting for your scores is :(. Nomi emailed the results back to my OSO after about 5 business days.

zachass4

ASTB scoring.

I'll be taking the ASTB in 17 days, and I had a couple of questions regarding the test itself. First, is it really true that if you get qualifying scores on the ASTB, and you pass the flight physical you're given the flight contract (pending graduating OCS and TBS)?
The other question I have is pertaining to the actual scoring breakdown of the test. I have a study guide, and I am curious as to how I am doing on the actual test itself, because I can obviously break my scores down into a percentile, but I was wondering if there was anyone who could break down how to actually score the percentages that I am getting in relation to the actual test? Because I know it would be a great confidence boost to know that I am getting qualifying scores on practice tests prior to actually taking the exam.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'll be taking the ASTB in 17 days, and I had a couple of questions regarding the test itself. First, is it really true that if you get qualifying scores on the ASTB, and you pass the flight physical you're given the flight contract (pending graduating OCS and TBS)?..

Yes its true that there are flight contracts and if you meet all the qualifications and you get selected you get one. Not really sure what you're asking beyond that point. Theres more to it than just the ASTB, but a good score will help.

...The other question I have is pertaining to the actual scoring breakdown of the test. I have a study guide, and I am curious as to how I am doing on the actual test itself, because I can obviously break my scores down into a percentile, but I was wondering if there was anyone who could break down how to actually score the percentages that I am getting in relation to the actual test? Because I know it would be a great confidence boost to know that I am getting qualifying scores on practice tests prior to actually taking the exam.

You're score is based off of everyone else's score so its difficult to give you an answer here. Just keep studying your ass off as though you're not going to pass at your current state. You only have 2 weeks so its not like you're going to ruin your life by studying a little extra. If knowing you're doing good will help you, then you sound like you're doing good to me!

BullGator

There is also an online Private Pilots Handbook for free; it's linked several times on AWs somewhere. Just search for PPH, I believe.

So, how did you do today WingForce87? What were your scores?
My apologies, when looking for the link myself I realized that I gave out the wrong gouge the other day when I recommended the PPH; what i meant was the http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/ (PHAK) Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge.

batesdl

ASTB Scores

Just got my scores back and just wondering how competitive I will be for a pilot slot.

Here are my credentials:

ASTB: 5/6/5-43
MBA with 3.8 GPA
Bachelor's of Science in Business Admin with 3.8 GPA
Associates of Business Management with 3.7 GPA
4 years prior service honorable conditions

Thanks,

Dan

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Just got my scores back and just wondering how competitive I will be for a pilot slot.

Here are my credentials:

ASTB: 5/6/5-43
MBA with 3.8 GPA
Bachelor's of Science in Business Admin with 3.8 GPA
Associates of Business Management with 3.7 GPA
4 years prior service honorable conditions

Thanks,

Dan

Good GPA, but your ASTB are pretty so-so for going for pilot. There are a lot of pages about ASTB scores, so search some and you'll see what others are getting.

But remember its a package deal... whats your PRT like? I would definitely give the ASTB another go if you have time and think you can do better. How old are you?

batesdl

I have yet to take the PRT but am in great shape and I am 26 years old. I always scored very high on all of my enlisted prt's.

Dan

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
Well I definitely recommend trying to give it another try atleast once. The cut off is 27, but I'm not sure if you get an extension for prior enlistment. I know you do if you are still active when you cross over.

There is a TON of really good gouge on here so I recommend giving it all a good look through. Good luck to you.