• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

jpmatta16

Does anyone know how is the ASTB scored??

Well I definitely recommend trying to give it another try atleast once. The cut off is 27, but I'm not sure if you get an extension for prior enlistment. I know you do if you are still active when you cross over.

There is a TON of really good gouge on here so I recommend giving it all a good look through. Good luck to you.

batesdl

A bunch of different formula's from what I have seen. Some sections of the test have a lot more impact on your final scores than that of others. The math, reading and mechanical comprehension account for the largest overall OAR. The nomi medical website displays a few details which explains a little more in depth. I have never really understood how the whole thing is graded myself.

Dan

d3west86

Your credentials are very impressive. However, you might want to see if you could retake the OAR portion of the the test. Try shooting for 50 or higher.

5 6 5 are solid score, and are certainly good enough for consideration. Just increase your OAR a bit and you'll be golden.

WingForce87

Got scores today. Took form 3 and got 6/6/5/ 54. Definately didn't do as well as I had hoped but I passed for pilot. Should a take it again?

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
From what I have seen posted on here that is a fairly good score and above what is required for SNA. Like others have said, getting selected depends on your whole package so if you have a really good GPA, volunteer time, good PRT, good LOR's, sports, a technical degree that stuff will help you out too. I have heard stories of guys getting picked up with the bare minimums on GPA's or ASTB, but it sounds like if you're weak in one area you want to be strong in others.
If you feel pretty solid in your package as a whole that ASTB shouldn't hurt you. If you apply and don't get picked up, study and retake the ASTB. Good luck!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Got scores today. Took form 3 and got 6/6/5/ 54. Definitely didn't do as well as I had hoped but I passed for pilot. Should a take it again?

Unless you can expect to do remarkably better, I would not risk it. Your most recent score is used when submitting your package, not your highest score.

nugget61

pilot
Got scores today. Took form 3 and got 6/6/5/ 54. Definately didn't do as well as I had hoped but I passed for pilot. Should a take it again?

Apply with what you have. If you aren't picked up and feel that you can do better on the test, retake it. If you improve your scores then that is grounds to reapply in the following month (instead of having to wait the cool off period between applications).

Yeah, besides that, I'm going Marines so it's pass/fail. I passed for pilot but not for co-pilot.

I think you mean you passed for SNA but not NFO?

loydma3

sometimes i wonder what these type of test actually measure. When I see guys with really bad scores and really great gpas etc, I wonder is there really any point in taking these test. Better yet what are they predictors of?

By no means did I blow the AFOQT or the ASTB out of the water but I did score decent (6,7,7,54 - 88, 75, 70, 68, 63) and my GPA sucked nuts...I dont get it.

BullGator

sometimes i wonder what these type of test actually measure. When I see guys with really bad scores and really great gpas etc, I wonder is there really any point in taking these test. Better yet what are they predictors of?

By no means did I blow the AFOQT or the ASTB out of the water but I did score decent (6,7,7,54 - 88, 75, 70, 68, 63) and my GPA sucked nuts...I dont get it.
It's an aptitude test. Some people have bad GPAs because of whatever reason early on, and it is difficult to pull up a GPA once it is down.

The ASTB also reflects your preparation, and some with the higher GPAs may not have tried as hard while preparing... I don't know, but I have sometimes noticed the same disparities you spoke of. Also, some people just aren't great at taking standardized, timed tests under pressure I guess. My 2 cents.

Raider86

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2nd attempt at the ASTB gave me a 5/5/6 50. I applied in November for SNA/NFO but was not accepted. Now, I am wondering if I should re-take the ASTB for the final time and risk lowering my scores. I believe that my package was decent otherwise (3.8 GPA, excellent employment history) and hopefully I can get some better LOR's this time around. Any thoughts?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My 2nd attempt at the ASTB gave me a 5/5/6 50. I applied in November for SNA/NFO but was not accepted. Now, I am wondering if I should re-take the ASTB for the final time and risk lowering my scores. I believe that my package was decent otherwise (3.8 GPA, excellent employment history) and hopefully I can get some better LOR's this time around. Any thoughts?

Apply and see what happens. Those scores are marginal at best. If you do not get in the first time, why would you not want to seize an opportunity to better your kit?

There will be much more difficult challenges ahead than the ASTB. You should change your attitude and look at it as an opportunity to better your score instead of an opportunity to do worse.