• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

fryer35

Just got out of my second of my second ASTB atempt:
OAR: 56
AQR: 8
PFAR: 9
FOFAR: 9
LPSS: 68

Went to this from a 5-5-6 on my last attempt (just burned an attempt to get an idea what the test was like). I studied about 100+ hours for this test and used the AirWarrior threads to my advantage. I studied all the resources on this reddit post: . I made flashcards for literally everything on these documents and memorized it to a tee. Took me about two months. I also bought a X-52 and practiced the Janzten Sim on Hard until I could get a combined throttle and stick score of -250. I was hitting 220s by the time I took the test. This will make the actual sim seem like babyfood. I also took a look at the Barron's Book: https://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Military-Flight-Aptitude-Tests/dp/1438005695 This has some really good physics questions and math questions. I also used the cram flashcards: https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163 The biggest thing I did study was stuff for the ANIT and practiced the shit out of the sim. I didn't bother studying for the reading section at all because its a waste of time in my opinion.

I'm a senior MIDN at the Merchant Marine Academy and will be submitting my package to the navy early next month. I have a 3.0 GPA and don't play any sports. I'm in a running club and also have about 12 hours on my PPL. Hopefully my new score and the fact that I'm applying from a service academy will get me a spot. GOOD LUCK YALL!!!!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

Went to this from a 5-5-6 on my last attempt (just burned an attempt to get an idea what the test was like). I studied about 100+ hours for this test and used the AirWarrior threads to my advantage. I studied all the resources on this reddit post: . I made flashcards for literally everything on these documents and memorized it to a tee. Took me about two months. I also bought a X-52 and practiced the Janzten Sim on Hard until I could get a combined throttle and stick score of -250. I was hitting 220s by the time I took the test. This will make the actual sim seem like babyfood. I also took a look at the Barron's Book: https://www.amazon.com/Barrons-Military-Flight-Aptitude-Tests/dp/1438005695 This has some really good physics questions and math questions. I also used the cram flashcards: https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163 The biggest thing I did study was stuff for the ANIT and practiced the shit out of the sim. I didn't bother studying for the reading section at all because its a waste of time in my opinion.

I'm a senior MIDN at the Merchant Marine Academy and will be submitting my package to the navy early next month. I have a 3.0 GPA and don't play any sports. I'm in a running club and also have about 12 hours on my PPL. Hopefully my new score and the fact that I'm applying from a service academy will get me a spot. GOOD LUCK YALL!!!!
Kings Point? I taught history there about 12 years ago!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Congrats but there is a whole mega thread dedicated to this:

MotorCookie

Congrats! I used all the same study material and scored a very similar score. I'm going to recommend others use those resources too.

Nnamdi25

how was the math portion?

fryer35

how was the math portion?
Math is something I've struggled at a lot. Had to reteach myself long division and stuff. Didn't think I did to hot on the math when I took it. There was a lot of basic stuff. It got harder which was a good sign but there some problems that worked halfway through and was able to make a good quess. Good amount of algerbra (solving for X), there was a factoring problem, foil problem, volume of cylinder, some weaird graph problem, etc.

Nnamdi25

Math is something I've struggled at a lot. Had to reteach myself long division and stuff. Didn't think I did to hot on the math when I took it. There was a lot of basic stuff. It got harder which was a good sign but there some problems that worked halfway through and was able to make a good quess. Good amount of algerbra (solving for X), there was a factoring problem, foil problem, volume of cylinder, some weaird graph problem, etc.
What about the new sub test how was that and how did you navigate thru that?

fryer35

What about the new sub test how was that and how did you navigate thru that?
I didn't do too hot on that. Its 18 questions. Theres two terrain pictures side by side (looks like a satellite image off google maps). The left pic is a north up picture of the terrain and the left one is a turned image of the turrain that is the camera view of a drone. The top of the left pic is the direction or heading of the drone. I fifured out a strat on like the last five questions after getting like all them wrong I think. You have to look at the picture on the left then try and match the picture to the one on the right almost like its a puzzle piece and thatll give you the heading. I wouldn't sweat it if your taking the test soon because the system doesnt have enough data to have it bring your score down.

Nnamdi25

I didn't do too hot on that. Its 18 questions. Theres two terrain pictures side by side (looks like a satellite image off google maps). The left pic is a north up picture of the terrain and the left one is a turned image of the turrain that is the camera view of a drone. The top of the left pic is the direction or heading of the drone. I fifured out a strat on like the last five questions after getting like all them wrong I think. You have to look at the picture on the left then try and match the picture to the one on the right almost like its a puzzle piece and thatll give you the heading. I wouldn't sweat it if your taking the test soon because the system doesnt have enough data to have it bring your score down.
Nice nice yea I take mine soon. How was the anit did the cram flash cards help?

DBM

For the vertical part of the sim on Jantzen, is the jet supposed to move faster than your throttle? ( I have it on the highest speed). I feel like if I mess up my tracking by a little bit, no matter how fast I push the throttle, the jet moves so fast that I almost have to wait for it to get back to me again.

MotorCookie

For the vertical part of the sim on Jantzen, is the jet supposed to move faster than your throttle? ( I have it on the highest speed). I feel like if I mess up my tracking by a little bit, no matter how fast I push the throttle, the jet moves so fast that I almost have to wait for it to get back to me again.
In the sim, the throttle can only move so fast so it's hard to catch up. On the real test the more you push the throttle the faster the throttle reticle will move. So it's much easier to keep up with the little jet on the actual test.

If you're playing the sim on the highest speed/difficulty, I wouldn't really worry about this stuff.

Reactions: DBM