• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

LCatch

Does anyone know of any good 1 on 1 tutoring resources available? I just took the ASTB today and did not score to well (4,3, and 4) and need some extra help studying. Thanks!
For the math/mechanics portion, any HS/college-level tutor should be able to teach you what you need to know. The pilot and NFO portions are mostly on you. Buy a joystick and practice with the online simulator. Practice flashcards.

FlyingGamecock

Hey all,

I have been studying for the ASTB now for about a month, but I have a question I seem to find mixed answers on. Is there negative points for wrong answers? Basically, after going through all the questions, is it best to go back and guess on questions that I am not positive on? Any tips would be super helpful.

Thanks!
You have to answer the question to move on to the next. There is no going back, at least on the computer version. Idk if there is a paper version or not

Spoke to a recruiter, and apparently in the October 2022 board they only selected 22 SNA's and 45 SFO's out of 270.
He said that while my GPA (mechanical eng) is good, I need almost all 9s in order to have a shot at SNA. Haven't taken it, but I'll give it my first try next month.

Also asked him about everything being backed up and he thinks that in 6 months it'll go back to normal.

Would I really need almost perfect scores in order to have a shot?

esmbenbenek

Spoke to a recruiter, and apparently in the October 2022 board they only selected 22 SNA's and 45 SFO's out of 270.
He said that while my GPA (mechanical eng) is good, I need almost all 9s in order to have a shot at SNA. Haven't taken it, but I'll give it my first try next month.

Also asked him about everything being backed up and he thinks that in 6 months it'll go back to normal.

Those numbers are correct for the Oct 2022 board. And yes if the other boards are as selective as the Oct board than you’ll need 8s and 9s. If you go to that boards thread and look at the civilians that were selected, I believe all had 8s and 9s.

Kawika

To anyone that sees this, im a senior in high school and wanting to pursue a career in aviation. I understand I have to take the ASTB, and was wondering when's the best time I should take it. Would it be bad to wait to do it until college and take it now, or is it something I don't have to worry about at the moment. I apologize if this should fall under the stupid questions forum.

elariosa95

SNA (A-Pool)

I was a civilian selected in the 31OCT22 board. After three ASTB attempts, I got a 73/9/7/7. Make of that what you will.

Edit: it’s worth noting that almost everyone else selected had an 8 or 9 PFAR.

You can find more info on that board here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/31oct22-sna-snfo-board.48995/

To anyone that sees this, im a senior in high school and wanting to pursue a career in aviation. I understand I have to take the ASTB, and was wondering when's the best time I should take it. Would it be bad to wait to do it until college and take it now, or is it something I don't have to worry about at the moment. I apologize if this should fall under the stupid questions forum.
All officers/officer applicants have a college degree or are currently pursuing one. You most likely don’t have to worry about it at the moment. Bc of how long the application process is, junior year would be the time to start thinking about it.

Alternatively, you could think about ROTC but I don’t have any experience with that.

Last edited:

eranger24

I would focus on college first. You only get three chances on this test so no need to rush it if you don't have your degree yet. Work hard in school and keep you goal in sight. I would recommend taking the ASTB around your junior/senior year. Good luck

Kawika

I would focus on college first. You only get three chances on this test so no need to rush it if you don't have your degree yet. Work hard in school and keep you goal in sight. I would recommend taking the ASTB around your junior/senior year. Good luck
appreciate the insight!

Biff42

Did my second attempt today, definitely felt alot better than my first attempt. Unfortunately immediately after the UAV portion during the stick and throttle calibration the APEX system went down and I have to resume tomorrow. My question for the group. So for the calibration portion it had me turn the knobs counter clockwise for 100% and Clockwise for 0%. Will this be the same for the Emergency Procedures? Example: FIRE ( low , low, clutch = clockwise, clockwise, clutch)?? Is the way we calibrate correspond to low and high for the EPs. My apologies for the long winded question just want to clarify before tomorrow. Thank you!

BurnedCash55

Did my second attempt today, definitely felt alot better than my first attempt. Unfortunately immediately after the UAV portion during the stick and throttle calibration the APEX system went down and I have to resume tomorrow. My question for the group. So for the calibration portion it had me turn the knobs counter clockwise for 100% and Clockwise for 0%. Will this be the same for the Emergency Procedures? Example: FIRE ( low , low, clutch = clockwise, clockwise, clutch)?? Is the way we calibrate correspond to low and high for the EPs. My apologies for the long winded question just want to clarify before tomorrow. Thank you!
Hey, I have this pdf that may help I am not sure if it will change but when you take the test IT WILL TELL YOU THE PROCEDURES AND HOW TO CLEAR THEM It did so for me when I took my last 2 tests if you are unsure write it down when you are there on some leftover scratch paper from math I hope that will help you out. I took the UAV portion and didn't keep my cool all the way through I got 3 misses in an attempt to go as fast as I can. relax and make sure its right keep your head clear and do well !https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ACJt4IdCkPjU2lkCQMdb8AJX_MzsS_nN/view?usp=share_link

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
It might already be too late, but yes, the calibration is the same as the test. The EP both times I took the test came in order so they were very easy to predict. I was able to clear the failures within a sec of them appearing. First, spin both knobs counterclockwise and tap the clutch in one fluid movement. Reset to center. Spin both knobs clockwise etc. I wouldn't over think it. Just practice which way the knobs go during the instructions and you should be golden.

MotorCookie

I'm trying to make the Jantzen sim feel as authentic as possible but I don't know what it's like on the actual test. When using the Jantzen sim, it's pretty hard to keep the crosshairs over the targets. Though, when using the TBAS Prep software it is much easier and the controls feel much more precise.

I made a short recording of me using both sims and the difference is pretty big -

Does the PBM section on the ASTB resemble the tracking style of the TBAS sim or the Jantzen sim in the video? If it's more like the Jantzen sim, I'm gonna have a really bad time lol.

I'm using the x52 and I use AntimicroX with default settings when using the Jantzen sim.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I'm trying to make the Jantzen sim feel as authentic as possible but I don't know what it's like on the actual test. When using the Jantzen sim, it's pretty hard to keep the crosshairs over the targets. Though, when using the TBAS Prep software it is much easier and the controls feel much more precise.

I made a short recording of me using both sims and the difference is pretty big -

Does the PBM section on the ASTB resemble the tracking style of the TBAS sim or the Jantzen sim in the video? If it's more like the Jantzen sim, I'm gonna have a really bad time lol.

I'm using the x52 and I use AntimicroX with default settings when using the Jantzen sim.

U of A guy! Saw D2L bookmarked lol, and Jantzen sim is more accurate

fighter12

I took the ASTB about a month ago and Jantzens is almost identical to the real thing. The joystick is pretty sensitive as well in the test so it would be beneficial to practice at a higher sensitivity. Just make small adjustments on jantzens to keep the crosshairs over the target. Hope this helps