• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

exNavyOffRec

I'd really like some opinions on how competitive I would be if only putting SNA. I'm really battling with whether or not to put SNFO as well, I'm sure I would enjoy it but I feel like I would always regret not trying just for SNA.

My ASTB is 62 8/9/8
MSc 4.00, BSc 3.44 both chemistry
I'm somewhat lacking in extracurriculars as I worked during most of my free time, which is what I'm most worried about I suppose.
Anyway thanks in advance for your thoughts
If you want want to be a pilot then only put in for SNA and no one cares about extra-curriculars as they won't help you in flight school.

ccrutchfield

Hey y'all! I have been mostly hanging around in the background just browsing through the comments but wanted to leave my own remarks and ask a couple of questions.

First off, I scored 51 6/8/7 when I took the ASTB this past Monday. My recruiter said that those are competitive scores for SNA but I wanted to see some of your opinions. I'll try to break it down by section and how it went then leave off with some general advice. Here is some background on me though:

Senior Year of college at Cal Maritime, getting my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (3.5 gpa), minor in Mathematics and a USCG 3AE License. Have a bunch of leadership and work experience under my belt with all the jobs and positions I have held while in school.

OAR Specific

Math
- This section I breezed right through even though I started to get some really complex systems of equations, exponents and the like. It ended after I would say 15-20 questions, but nonetheless felt really good about this section. I would recommend purchasing Barrons book and maybe some of the others just for the practice tests. Kyle's gouge is also extremely helpful (I will be referencing this a lot) and I believe the link has been posted a thousand+ times on here so I won't spam it again. To be frank, it was a huge step down in the level of math (at least for me), definitely more Algebra and beginner calculus topics but nothing too hard as long as you get some decent practice in.

Reading
- I did not study for this section at all and to be frank I believe it was my downfall for the OAR. I was reminded of why I joined Mechanical Engineering, because numbers are easier than words. The reading and text were pretty bland and every question has multiple 'right' answers but only one 'right' answer. I hate these and they drive me nuts but just push through. Also, I would recommend actually studying for it by running through practice problems, and just reading novels/books.

Mechanical - Also, not too bad and the questions are general overview so that was nice. For this section I would recommend just reviewing from Barron's and Kyle's gouge. This will prepare you for any question on this test and the more exposure to the material and practice problems you do, the better.

ASTB Specific

ANIT - This part was not too bad for me, especially with the nautical background that I have from my school. This one is all about exposure and remembering the key planes, dates, people, laws and etc. This one I just ran through flashcards after flashcards and still had some questions come up on the exam that I had no clue on how to answer. It asked about VOR and I was like "Welp...not a clue" but again, just exposure, exposure to practice problems flashcards and the material will prepare you for this section. I also found it helpful to look at the different planes and jets that fly around everywhere and try to always state what they are, what airspace they are in and more. My friends and family found this rather annoying but hey...it helps.

NAFTI
- Weird questions, but just pick the one you feel describes you more. This one you actually can't prepare for but I would recommend answering in the way that an honest, determined and responsible person would. Also, since you have some decent time, use it as an additional break from your brain

PBM - For my star wars people out there, "This is where the fun begins"
1st - You take the UAV directional test, practice practice practice the flashcards and draw the little compass thing and use that trick. I was able to answer all of the questions within 1-3 seconds with the exception for one where I got a little disoriented but no matter, just keep going.
2nd - Dichotic listening test. WRITE DOWN WHICH ONE IS THE TRIGGER AND THE CLUTCH. I got really really lucky because I switched them up in the practice test and because something was off in my gut, switched them at the last second for the real and it saved my butt! I started to write down absolutely everything after that little hiccup. I think the leaning into the ear is helpful for some but for me it didn't really make the difference. I found myself closing my eyes or zoning out and just focusing on the one ear. I went full tunnel vision on focusing on just that one ear and it will be hard but keep 'er going.
3rd - Ace combat time. If you are not familiar with a stick and throttle, don't worry, because what is important is shockingly whether or not you play video games and have exposure to good hand-eye coordination, response time and multitasking. Note that I include the ASTB trainer that is on the internet as a videogame, made it a little more fun for me to practice. Nonetheless, in all of your games, invert the controls and get used to that. If you have a decent computer or gaming system, I downloaded Rocket League and Tom Clancy's Rainbow six siege and while it is fun to play with friends, it also helped me get back into the competitive nature of gaming, which is what you will need here. Like everyone before has said, it will suck. The target will move so fast you won't be able to touch the damn thing, but you have to keep on going through each of the scenarios and give the same level of effort for each. When they start adding the dichotic listening test and the emergency scenarios write them all down and make a little paper tent that you can rest right in front of you below the computer screen. That way you can make a quick glance if you forgot and keep going from there. Read the instructions carefully, take a deep breath and tell yourself a little "It's go time" before every section. Lastly, I must repeat it again, play some videogames and improve your hand-eye coordination, response time and multitasking. It will give you a good break from studying the dry material (the rest of this test) and have some fun while you are at it.

Overall
One of the biggest lessons I learned is that yes the material is dry but you have to smack your ego in the face and review it all and do multiple practice problems. I felt like I put myself at a disadvantage because I had the mindset of "Oh I'm a mechanical engineer, I can do this without looking." This is when I realized that it is not about your capability, but your exposure. I had not done some of these simple mathematical equations for quite some time and when I looked at the wording of question I was outright confused. I have been doing finite element analysis, complex analysis yet figuring out how much bob will have to add to his bank account so that the interest rate of 6% will equal 40 dollars...what.
So expose yourself to the questions, and spend a solid amount of time actually studying for this test. I let all of my other responsibilities take charge of my life and so I only got a solid 3-4 days of actual studying in, and it was definitely not enough. Oh, bring some snacks and drink some water as your brain needs the energy.

Let me know if you would like any other information from me or some of the links. I already wrote so much that I didn't want to clutter the screen so I refrained from adding them.

If all else fails, follow your gut. You got this.

Oshun8235

Hey y'all! I have been mostly hanging around in the background just browsing through the comments but wanted to leave my own remarks and ask a couple of questions.

First off, I scored 51 6/8/7 when I took the ASTB this past Monday. My recruiter said that those are competitive scores for SNA but I wanted to see some of your opinions. I'll try to break it down by section and how it went then leave off with some general advice. Here is some background on me though:

Senior Year of college at Cal Maritime, getting my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering (3.5 gpa), minor in Mathematics and a USCG 3AE License. Have a bunch of leadership and work experience under my belt with all the jobs and positions I have held while in school.

OAR Specific

Math - This section I breezed right through even though I started to get some really complex systems of equations, exponents and the like. It ended after I would say 15-20 questions, but nonetheless felt really good about this section. I would recommend purchasing Barrons book and maybe some of the others just for the practice tests. Kyle's gouge is also extremely helpful (I will be referencing this a lot) and I believe the link has been posted a thousand+ times on here so I won't spam it again. To be frank, it was a huge step down in the level of math (at least for me), definitely more Algebra and beginner calculus topics but nothing too hard as long as you get some decent practice in.

Reading - I did not study for this section at all and to be frank I believe it was my downfall for the OAR. I was reminded of why I joined Mechanical Engineering, because numbers are easier than words. The reading and text were pretty bland and every question has multiple 'right' answers but only one 'right' answer. I hate these and they drive me nuts but just push through. Also, I would recommend actually studying for it by running through practice problems, and just reading novels/books.

Mechanical - Also, not too bad and the questions are general overview so that was nice. For this section I would recommend just reviewing from Barron's and Kyle's gouge. This will prepare you for any question on this test and the more exposure to the material and practice problems you do, the better.

ASTB Specific

ANIT - This part was not too bad for me, especially with the nautical background that I have from my school. This one is all about exposure and remembering the key planes, dates, people, laws and etc. This one I just ran through flashcards after flashcards and still had some questions come up on the exam that I had no clue on how to answer. It asked about VOR and I was like "Welp...not a clue" but again, just exposure, exposure to practice problems flashcards and the material will prepare you for this section. I also found it helpful to look at the different planes and jets that fly around everywhere and try to always state what they are, what airspace they are in and more. My friends and family found this rather annoying but hey...it helps.

NAFTI - Weird questions, but just pick the one you feel describes you more. This one you actually can't prepare for but I would recommend answering in the way that an honest, determined and responsible person would. Also, since you have some decent time, use it as an additional break from your brain

PBM - For my star wars people out there, "This is where the fun begins"
1st - You take the UAV directional test, practice practice practice the flashcards and draw the little compass thing and use that trick. I was able to answer all of the questions within 1-3 seconds with the exception for one where I got a little disoriented but no matter, just keep going.
2nd - Dichotic listening test. WRITE DOWN WHICH ONE IS THE TRIGGER AND THE CLUTCH. I got really really lucky because I switched them up in the practice test and because something was off in my gut, switched them at the last second for the real and it saved my butt! I started to write down absolutely everything after that little hiccup. I think the leaning into the ear is helpful for some but for me it didn't really make the difference. I found myself closing my eyes or zoning out and just focusing on the one ear. I went full tunnel vision on focusing on just that one ear and it will be hard but keep 'er going.
3rd - Ace combat time. If you are not familiar with a stick and throttle, don't worry, because what is important is shockingly whether or not you play video games and have exposure to good hand-eye coordination, response time and multitasking. Note that I include the ASTB trainer that is on the internet as a videogame, made it a little more fun for me to practice. Nonetheless, in all of your games, invert the controls and get used to that. If you have a decent computer or gaming system, I downloaded Rocket League and Tom Clancy's Rainbow six siege and while it is fun to play with friends, it also helped me get back into the competitive nature of gaming, which is what you will need here. Like everyone before has said, it will suck. The target will move so fast you won't be able to touch the damn thing, but you have to keep on going through each of the scenarios and give the same level of effort for each. When they start adding the dichotic listening test and the emergency scenarios write them all down and make a little paper tent that you can rest right in front of you below the computer screen. That way you can make a quick glance if you forgot and keep going from there. Read the instructions carefully, take a deep breath and tell yourself a little "It's go time" before every section. Lastly, I must repeat it again, play some videogames and improve your hand-eye coordination, response time and multitasking. It will give you a good break from studying the dry material (the rest of this test) and have some fun while you are at it.

Overall
One of the biggest lessons I learned is that yes the material is dry but you have to smack your ego in the face and review it all and do multiple practice problems. I felt like I put myself at a disadvantage because I had the mindset of "Oh I'm a mechanical engineer, I can do this without looking." This is when I realized that it is not about your capability, but your exposure. I had not done some of these simple mathematical equations for quite some time and when I looked at the wording of question I was outright confused. I have been doing finite element analysis, complex analysis yet figuring out how much bob will have to add to his bank account so that the interest rate of 6% will equal 40 dollars...what.
So expose yourself to the questions, and spend a solid amount of time actually studying for this test. I let all of my other responsibilities take charge of my life and so I only got a solid 3-4 days of actual studying in, and it was definitely not enough. Oh, bring some snacks and drink some water as your brain needs the energy.

Let me know if you would like any other information from me or some of the links. I already wrote so much that I didn't want to clutter the screen so I refrained from adding them.

If all else fails, follow your gut. You got this.
Congratulations and thanks for the words.

Isabellg

@ccrutchfield

Great info. I've just started really setting aside time to retake my test. Stupid question but, since you just took your test can you remember the Dichotic listening test rules? Like we lean into the target ear and press the clutch/trigger for BOTH odd/even numbers correct? Or if the target ear is the right only odd numbers? Sorry I'm just trying to prepare as I feel I bombed this section and no one has asked it here. Thanks!

Jae.brown

@ccrutchfield

Great info. I've just started really setting aside time to retake my test. Stupid question but, since you just took your test can you remember the Dichotic listening test rules? Like we lean into the target ear and press the clutch/trigger for BOTH odd/even numbers correct? Or if the target ear is the right only odd numbers? Sorry I'm just trying to prepare as I feel I bombed this section and no one has asked it here. Thanks!
I believe it's trigger for Even, Clutch for Odd regardless of whatever ear. You do both.

ccrutchfield

@ccrutchfield

So the way it works is that on one ear the headphones will work and say something that indicates that this ear will be the test ear. Then when the test starts both will start and say a mixture of letters and numbers, then you have to pay attention to just that ear and follow with the corresponding movements that @Jae.brown noted above ^^

Taking my first round of the OAR exam tomorrow. I plan on applying for SWO and Intel. Any suggestions on last minute studying for the OAR exam? I'm a little nervous since I don't exactly know what to expect. I've ran through the "OAR Math Practice Guide", didn't really "study" much for reading comp but I hear it isn't to be slept on. Have been doing Mechanical flashcards online.

Oshun8235

Taking my first round of the OAR exam tomorrow. I plan on applying for SWO and Intel. Any suggestions on last minute studying for the OAR exam? I'm a little nervous since I don't exactly know what to expect. I've ran through the "OAR Math Practice Guide", didn't really "study" much for reading comp but I hear it isn't to be slept on. Have been doing Mechanical flashcards online.
It's natural to be nervous but stay calm and focus. Use your gut instincts. Let me know how everything turns out. Good luck!

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Not studying specific, but get a good night's sleep, breath before the test. I knocked out a set of 20 or 30 push-ups between sections to work out the nerves.

First attempt on the OAR and I received a 46. I was told by my recruiter that I should apply for the next SWO board (August), with this score. He said I have a strong APSR motivational statement and Letter of Rec. file. I'm nervous that this OAR doesn't "stand out" enough. I am tempted to apply with this score though so I don't waste another try on the OAR this go around. Thoughts? 3.25 GPA in Accounting. Captain of athletic teams in the past, and some other marketable things.

NavyFanatic32

First attempt on the OAR and I received a 46. I was told by my recruiter that I should apply for the next SWO board (August), with this score. He said I have a strong APSR motivational statement and Letter of Rec. file. I'm nervous that this OAR doesn't "stand out" enough. I am tempted to apply with this score though so I don't waste another try on the OAR this go around. Thoughts? 3.25 GPA in Accounting. Captain of athletic teams in the past, and some other marketable things.
What designator did you want?
if SWO is what you want go ahead and apply! The min for SWO is 42. Don’t want to risk getting a lower score. If you don’t get picked up. Retake OAR and apply to the next SWO board.

Oshun8235

Congratulations. If that's what your recruiter told you than that's all you need to know. He would be the best to get advice from. Put the rest in God's hands and stop stressing.