• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

NevarYalnal

Hey so I'm taking the ASTB in July and I've been studying Kyle's study guide. I'm having problems with the Mechanical composition section.... any tips or websites that helped?
i used khan academy on youtube to supplement my mechanical comprehension knowledge; i needed it esp since i hadn't taken physics since high school.

villo0692

i used khan academy on youtube to supplement my mechanical comprehension knowledge; i needed it esp since i hadn't taken physics since high school.
is funny, I was actually thinking, that the best way to study for the mechanical comprehension section was to take Physics I in college hah

NevarYalnal

is funny, I was actually thinking, that the best way to study for the mechanical comprehension section was to take Physics I in college hah
lol yup, and if you take calculus-based physics it certainly can't hurt if you're applying to an IWC designator (believe oceano, CW and IP all mention it on their program authorizations).

villo0692

lol yup, and if you take calculus-based physics it certainly can't hurt if you're applying to an IWC designator (believe oceano, CW and IP all mention it on their program authorizations).
I took all that....funny, when I took the ASTB I was asked the formula for the volume of a cone.....I didn't remember it so I had to use calc to integrate and derive the formula....there is such a thing as overcomplicating simple shit

DGoldy

hey so i'm getting the rest of my packet together and whatnot and I'm retaking my ASTB however, I found out that I have a -8.25 astigmatism at meps but I have really good depth perception and no color blindness Am I screwed for an SNA slot? I'd genuinely like to be a fighter pilot. is there someone on here who got accepted with a worse astigmatism or eye problem than I who made it to pilot or NFO?

kwright18

Hello all. I've taken the ASTB twice already and only one more attempt unfortunately. On the first attempt I made a 41, 4/4/4: I didn't study and used this attempt to get a feel for the test. The second attempt which I took in February of 2021 I made a 45, 4/4/3. Any tips would be helpful especially since I only have one more attempt left. I know I definitely screwed up on the dichotic listening part and the emergency procedures. I've been getting math tutoring as well from a former NFO and Naval Academy instructor. I have a B.S. in Aviation Science & Management with a GPA of 3.03 and a PPL with around 150 flight hours. Thanks!

exNavyOffRec

hey so i'm getting the rest of my packet together and whatnot and I'm retaking my ASTB however, I found out that I have a -8.25 astigmatism at meps but I have really good depth perception and no color blindness Am I screwed for an SNA slot? I'd genuinely like to be a fighter pilot. is there someone on here who got accepted with a worse astigmatism or eye problem than I who made it to pilot or NFO?
any astigmatism greater than -8 is disqualifying factor per the medical manual, you could see about getting a civilian doc opinion and see what they say, and you have 20/20 vision otherwise?

DGoldy

Yes that's
any astigmatism greater than -8 is disqualifying factor per the medical manual, you could see about getting a civilian doc opinion and see what they say, and you have 20/20 vision otherwise?
Yeah it's 20/20 otherwise my other eye meets the requirements and that's what the meps paper work said on there correctable to 20/20 and my wavier said "addition info need for the eye waiver". Like my eyes are healthy but my left eye just sucks lol damn genetics

exNavyOffRec

Yes that's

Yeah it's 20/20 otherwise my other eye meets the requirements and that's what the meps paper work said on there correctable to 20/20 and my wavier said "addition info need for the eye waiver". Like my eyes are healthy but my left eye just sucks lol damn genetics
is your uncorrected vision no worse than 20/40

exNavyOffRec

No it's bad it's like a low 100 or 200 out of 20 but my left eye is definitely 20/300 or 20/400 because my other eye is at a -7

That is disqualifying for SNA, for uncorrected vision you can be no worse than 20/40 in just one eye with the other eye no worse than 20/30 but you could look at corrective surgery.

DGoldy

That is disqualifying for SNA, for uncorrected vision you can be no worse than 20/40 in just one eye with the other eye no worse than 20/30 but you could look at corrective surgery.
Well damn I guess I'm gonna have to do swo and that board is in August :/ is there anything high speed swo's do other than drive ships?