• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ahansen

Congrats on your OAR score! With regards to your question on “options,” it essentially means that if you’re selected for SWO-(insert option whether it be oceano, intel, pao, etc), then you do your first Divo tour as a SWO on a ship with the requirement of earning your SWO pin during that tour. From there you make a choice to either stay in the SWO community or transfer to a different community for the option you were selected for. Surprisingly, some stay SWO, but most transfer for different reasons.

Here’s a link for a general overview/career path for Oceano (dated 2019) if you haven’t seen this yet.

Thank you! I hadn't seen that link yet. Do you put the option down on your app? Is it a different board? If you don't, is there a possibility to transfer after your first divo anyway? (Can ask my recruiter this, as well, I'm sure.)

Cloddish

I am taking the OAR/ASTB on February 4th, and I have some questions about the best ways to prepare. I have been working through the Barron's Military Flight Aptitude Tests book, as well as am using a couple other resources, and am feeling good about Math Skill, Reading Comprehension, and Mechanical Comprehension. I am still working on Aviation and Nautical Information, but wanted to know if the Barron's book was a sufficient resource or if it is lacking in important information that I should know for the test. Moreover, I am mostly curious about advice on the Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory and the Performance-Based Measures portions of the exam. Are there any tips or suggestions on how to best prepare for these sections? Thank you all very much!
Barron's is good to reintroduce you to some of the basic math that will serve as the foundation for the test, however it is definitely not sufficient enough as it is missing or doesn't get complicated enough in many areas(reading and mechanical are fine I think). See what people have been seeing on the test the past few weeks and find the practice sheets in Kyle's drive. Kyle's is all you need for the math portion, and there are some good flashcards on this forum to help out with the ANIT.

Larick

None
Contributor
Thank you! I hadn't seen that link yet. Do you put the option down on your app? Is it a different board? If you don't, is there a possibility to transfer after your first divo anyway? (Can ask my recruiter this, as well, I'm sure.)
Yes, you can put the option in your application. In the application, there’s a section where you rank your designator preference and you can put SWO-Oceano there. If I recall, a SWO-Oceano option would just go through the SWO board only, but I would verify that with your recruiter.

If you decline to execute your option after your first divo tour, then you will have to do a second divo tour in accordance with the SWO career path. During your second tour, you would have to then apply for a lateral transfer to Oceano or any other designator via a lateral transfer board that meets twice a year (Feb/Aug), pending availabilities for that particular designator you are going for based off your commissioning year group. If you don’t get selected during that board, and you’re still set on transferring to a different community, then you can try again during your shore tour or after your Department head tour(s).

exNavyOffRec

Yes, you can put the option in your application. In the application, there’s a section where you rank your designator preference and you can put SWO-Oceano there. If I recall, a SWO-Oceano option would just go through the SWO board only, but I would verify that with your recruiter.

If you decline to execute your option after your first divo tour, then you will have to do a second divo tour in accordance with the SWO career path. During your second tour, you would have to then apply for a lateral transfer to Oceano or any other designator via a lateral transfer board that meets twice a year (Feb/Aug), pending availabilities for that particular designator you are going for based off your commissioning year group. If you don’t get selected during that board, and you’re still set on transferring to a different community, then you can try again during your shore tour or after your Department head tour(s).

The various SWO options (IP/IW/Oceano) are picked by the IWC board since that is the ultimate destination. The IWC board is an interesting one, you could apply to SWO-Oceano and they might just put you in an Oceano billet.

Sky3100

Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR) Guide
Math Skills Test – 30 Questions, 30 Minutes
Reading Comprehension Test – 20 Questions, 30 Minutes
Mechanical Comprehension Test – 30 Questions, 15 Minutes

No calculator allowed only scratch paper, some formulas are provided on test screen. There is also a timer on test screen you must click on it to see how much time you have remaining.
On the computer adaptive subtests, examinees are advised against randomly guessing as time is about to expire. The current time limits for each subtest have been established to allow as many examinees as possible to finish the test without time expiring. If an examine has worked diligently and quickly on a given subtest, random guessing will, in most cases, be more detrimental to scores than the penalty received for not completing the entire test.

Math Skills Test (MST). Measures the examinee's ability to: Apply mathematical processes to solve equations. The math skills assessed by the ASTB subtests include arithmetic and algebra, with some geometry. The assessments include both equations and word problems. Some items require solving for variables, others are time and distance problems, and some require the estimation of simple probabilities. Skills assessed include basic arithmetic operations, solving for variables, fractions, roots, exponents, and the calculation of angles, areas, and perimeters of geometric shapes.

Reading Comprehension Test (RCT). Measures the examinee's ability to analyze written information and form logical conclusions: Reading comprehension items require ASTB examinees to extract meaning from text passages. Each item requires the examinee to determine which of the response options can be inferred from the passage itself. It is very important for examinees to remember that incorrect response options may still appear to be ‘true,’ but only one answer to each item can be derived solely from the information in the passage.

Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT). Measures the examinee's ability to Perceive and understand the nature of physical relationships, Solve practical problems related to mechanical principles Items contained within the mechanical comprehension portion of the ASTB include topics that would typically be found in an introductory high school physics course and the application of these topics to a variety of situations. The questions in this portion of the test gauge examinees’ knowledge of principles related to gases and liquids, and their understanding of the ways in which these properties affect pressure, volume, and velocity. The subtest also includes questions that relate to the components and performance of engines, principles of electricity, gears, weight distribution, and the operation of simple machines, such as pulleys and fulcrums.

Youtube Aids: Minute Math (Videos for Kutasoftware worksheets problems), Grammer Hero, Organic Chemistry Tutor, Math and Science Channel, Kieno Thoma, Brian Mclogan

Algebra and Geometry Worksheets: https://www.kutasoftware.com/free.html for algebra I recommend reviewing Basics, Equations, Exponents, Polynomials, Radical Expressions, Rational Expression and Word Problems tabs. For geometry Basics Circles, Surface Area, Properties of Triangles, Congruent Triangles, Right Triangles tabs.

Khan Academy: Math and Mechanical

Study Guides: (Math, Reading, Mechanical): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvPi5oH_h_13TGajDvflDWkftwXO8LS6

Sample Questions
1.Sally can paint a house in 4 hours and John can paint it in 6, how long does it take them to paint it together (easy). USE GRAMMAR HERO on YouTube for all these word problems

2. John scored 64 on his first test and 74 on his second. His third test was 10 points more than his fourth test, and his fourth test was the average of the first three tests. What was his average of all five tests? Again, use GRAMMAR HERO on YouTube, as well as the ORGANIC CHEMISTRY TUTOR for more word problems.

3. Bob went fishing and 7 of every 8 casts did not get any bites. 1/3 of the casts that did bite reeled in a fish. How many times does he need to cast his pole to get a minimum of 8 fish?

4. A ranch has horses and ponies. 9-tenths of all the ponies have horseshoes. Half of the shoed-ponies are Icelandic ponies. How many ponies are on the ranch? A. 17 B. 23 C. 18 D. Then I realized that if half of the shoed ponies are Icelandic, that means that there must be an even number of shoed-ponies. So all you have to do is multiply each answer by 9/10 and see which one spits out a whole and even number.

5. Simply (2(x+2)^2)^2 + 6x (x-4)^2 all divided by 4. Not exact numbers but it's similar to test.

6. "what is some single-digit number in binary" 0-12 in binary. "binary is base-2 because 1 is 0 and 1 together, and 0 = 0, and 2 = 0 and 1 and 1 (so in base-4 binary, how is 7+8 expressed?" just study what base-2 and base-4 binary is.

7. Sarah’s final grade is made up of 20% from 3 tests, 10% from homework, and 30% from the final exam. She scored 72 and 84 on the first two tests, her third test was 10 points less than what she scored on the final exam. Her class grade was an 80. What was her final exam score?Challenging grade questions involving percentages and weighted averages

8. DICE PROBABILITY

NevarYalnal

Math Skills Test – 30 Questions, 30 Minutes
Reading Comprehension Test – 20 Questions, 30 Minutes
Mechanical Comprehension Test – 30 Questions, 15 Minutes

FYI, time limit would be the same for every applicant but number of questions would not be as this is an adaptive test and test can end early if it decides it has gotten the proper gauge of your ability.

Sky3100

FYI, time limit would be the same for every applicant but number of questions would not be as this is an adaptive test and test can end early if it decides it has gotten the proper gauge of your ability.
Thanks, that's correct this is just a baseline of what to expect, these are the figures I ended up getting on my first test and what I've found online.

DGoldy

Barron's is good to reintroduce you to some of the basic math that will serve as the foundation for the test, however it is definitely not sufficient enough as it is missing or doesn't get complicated enough in many areas(reading and mechanical are fine I think). See what people have been seeing on the test the past few weeks and find the practice sheets in Kyle's drive. Kyle's is all you need for the math portion, and there are some good flashcards on this forum to help out with the ANIT.

DGoldy

I'm really new to this thread and have lurked on it for a few days but you said Kyle's and Barron's are the best I want to score a 60-65 I take my test (ASTB/OAR) the 24th of February i really want to do well and get SWO or SNA! I was international relations and History major a month ago but math was my weakest subject is there a book that will hyper prepare me for this test?

Sky3100

I'm really new to this thread and have lurked on it for a few days but you said Kyle's and Barron's are the best I want to score a 60-65 I take my test (ASTB/OAR) the 24th of February i really want to do well and get SWO or SNA! I was international relations and History major a month ago but math was my weakest subject is there a book that will hyper prepare me for this test?

Algebra and Geometry Worksheets: https://www.kutasoftware.com/free.html I would review the Basics, Equations, Exponents, Polynomials, Radical Expressions, Rational Expression and Word Problems sections. For geometry Basics Circles, Surface Area, Properties of Triangles, Congruent Triangles, Right Triangles sections. Minute Math on Youtube reviews all the questions that are found on these worksheets. This covers the vast majority of questions that are found on the OAR math section. After you've practiced these I would go through the study guide tests found on https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AvPi5oH_h_13TGajDvflDWkftwXO8LS6 hope this helps

workingforit

Does anybody know if there is an ASTB joystick practice game? I have a programmer friend that made one and said he scored a 9 on the PFAR. I've been trying to convince him to sell it on a website so I can use it too but he said that he doesn't want to do it if one exists already...

PEFO Silver-Shades

Does anybody know if there is an ASTB joystick practice game? I have a programmer friend that made one and said he scored a 9 on the PFAR. I've been trying to convince him to sell it on a website so I can use it too but he said that he doesn't want to do it if one exists already...
Someone had just posted this on a different thread