• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FlyCorbitt

SNFO PRO-Y
Whats up guys, so my first attempt at the ASTB I got a 40 4/4/5 which was terrible, just took my ASTB a second time and got 44 5/6/7. Me personally I think I could have done better, but a few things did not workout in my favor. Crazy but my recruiter is pleased and is trying to push me through ASAP. I do not know if this a good thing or a bad thing. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am going for Pilot/NFO board DEC2020. Thank you!

BDavis11

Contributor
Alright all you cool cats and kittens (Carole Baskins), been lurking a several months. Took the ASTB back in August. Scored terrible 40 3/5/5. I studied an astb prep book that i found on amazon. Terrible idea. I was overly confident about the compass trick (also terrible). So i didn't post my scores or any of that. Decided I would study Kyle's (amazing) Gouge. Literally all you need is that folder and the link to the anit flash cards. Took the test for the second time yesterday and scored a 56 6/6/6.
MATH. -Had a few "if x=4z and y=6z then what does y=" type questions, quite a few DRT problems, a few area and perimeter, 1 interest %, a couple average, and quite a bit of probability. For the ones i felt would take too long for me (who isn't the best at math without a calculator lol) i just tried to make an educated guess. Strictly studied kyle's gouge for this. I felt like i made improvements.
MECHANICAL- Saw questions about the venture effect, acceleration due to gravity 9.81 m/s squared 32.17ft./s squared, the bernoulie effect, levers, one wedge question, and an electrical symbol identification question, and lastly pulley's. Nothing too complicated here. I felt like I did a lot better with this compared to the first time. Again Kyle's gouge.
READING- I don't struggle with reading so it was easy enough. Towards the end i was getting anxious because I didn't want to run out of time like i did the first time. I noticed I had to catch myself because I began to answer it just to answer rather than pay attention to wording. Felt I did good the first and second time here. However the first time I believe i did run out of time. No studying here
OAR =56
TRAIT FACET-Not much to say here. Taking it the second time was annoying. The directions for this section popped up then the whole section disappeared and went right into pbm. When i finished pbm I only had an oar score and not complete ASTB. Anxiety through the rough because I was ready to see if those scores improved like i needed them to. So chief made a phone call and it basically showed that I had the exam on the screen too long and it timed out so they were able to reset that portion so that I could actually do it. Then i was able to get all scores.

PBM- So my first time I felt like i knew what i was doing with the compass trick. I messed myself up because i felt like i was cool enough to draw a compass and add in the NE NW SE SE lines. BOY I WAS WRONG. it completely threw me off with having to identify the parking lots. I missed quite a few. So I changed things up a second time. While lurking on here I saw someone say the compass wasn't the most efficient trick. So i drew down the scenarios with how the marker actually looks with said parking lots for each possible direction. This actually was faster and more efficient (after practicing 6 times to make sure I was good to go). I only missed one because I accidentally clicked because my finger was ancy. None the less MAJOR improvement.
TRACKING- Felt like this went smoother the second time than the first, mostly because i knew what to expect.
DICHOTIC- Wasn't bad. I missed 1 or two due to complacency of getting in the groove. Nothing too diffuclt here
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES- I missed one because I had Just heard engine and assumed it was the fire (even though i had already successfully completed) and tried to do it again. Not realizing it was engine malfunction because I only wrote down the word malfunction for that procedure.

All in all, STUDY KYLES GOUGE and you will be fine. I also saw the girl next to me writing down formulas for the OAR and NO ONE seemed to care so I may or may not have done the same. I will advise that writing the possible compass variations down is better than the compass trick as long as you can identify each one quickly. I averaged 2 seconds. I think my longest was 4. In between sections I wrote down motivating/encouraging words for myself. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL still needing to take the ASTB. I am pleased with my scores and hopefully they are good enough for the Jan Board.

Attachments

• 51FF4443-1ABE-4FC0-BF66-22E128FA1D66.jpeg
    51FF4443-1ABE-4FC0-BF66-22E128FA1D66.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

haync4

Can anyone help me understand probability better or point me into the direction where I can get help and practice please?

jazzyjazz

Can someone also please explain this to me? It's from Kyle's guide. It says that A need less force to pull the weight but my understanding is that case B has a mechanical advantage of 2 but case A has a mechanical advantage of 1. Am I wrong or is the answer in the file incorrect?
Does anyone one know why the answer is A? I was thinking A would require less force since the direction of pull is going with gravity.

Good afternoon everyone! First off, I apologize for my name as I am an immature asshat, but I just took the ASTB yesterday and I'm proudly sitting at an 8-9-9 on the ASTB and a 63 on the OAR. I can't thank all of you enough for contributing to this forum and taking part in this great community. All of the study material and inside scoops posted on here were instrumental to my success. Pay attention to what people have to say on here! Go to page 302 on this thread for all of the practice material I used, super helpful!

Derelicte

Alright all you cool cats and kittens (Carole Baskins), been lurking a several months. Took the ASTB back in August. Scored terrible 40 3/5/5. I studied an astb prep book that i found on amazon. Terrible idea. I was overly confident about the compass trick (also terrible). So i didn't post my scores or any of that. Decided I would study Kyle's (amazing) Gouge. Literally all you need is that folder and the link to the anit flash cards. Took the test for the second time yesterday and scored a 56 6/6/6.
MATH. -Had a few "if x=4z and y=6z then what does y=" type questions, quite a few DRT problems, a few area and perimeter, 1 interest %, a couple average, and quite a bit of probability. For the ones i felt would take too long for me (who isn't the best at math without a calculator lol) i just tried to make an educated guess. Strictly studied kyle's gouge for this. I felt like i made improvements.
MECHANICAL- Saw questions about the venture effect, acceleration due to gravity 9.81 m/s squared 32.17ft./s squared, the bernoulie effect, levers, one wedge question, and an electrical symbol identification question, and lastly pulley's. Nothing too complicated here. I felt like I did a lot better with this compared to the first time. Again Kyle's gouge.
READING- I don't struggle with reading so it was easy enough. Towards the end i was getting anxious because I didn't want to run out of time like i did the first time. I noticed I had to catch myself because I began to answer it just to answer rather than pay attention to wording. Felt I did good the first and second time here. However the first time I believe i did run out of time. No studying here
OAR =56
TRAIT FACET-Not much to say here. Taking it the second time was annoying. The directions for this section popped up then the whole section disappeared and went right into pbm. When i finished pbm I only had an oar score and not complete ASTB. Anxiety through the rough because I was ready to see if those scores improved like i needed them to. So chief made a phone call and it basically showed that I had the exam on the screen too long and it timed out so they were able to reset that portion so that I could actually do it. Then i was able to get all scores.

PBM- So my first time I felt like i knew what i was doing with the compass trick. I messed myself up because i felt like i was cool enough to draw a compass and add in the NE NW SE SE lines. BOY I WAS WRONG. it completely threw me off with having to identify the parking lots. I missed quite a few. So I changed things up a second time. While lurking on here I saw someone say the compass wasn't the most efficient trick. So i drew down the scenarios with how the marker actually looks with said parking lots for each possible direction. This actually was faster and more efficient (after practicing 6 times to make sure I was good to go). I only missed one because I accidentally clicked because my finger was ancy. None the less MAJOR improvement.
TRACKING- Felt like this went smoother the second time than the first, mostly because i knew what to expect.
DICHOTIC- Wasn't bad. I missed 1 or two due to complacency of getting in the groove. Nothing too diffuclt here
EMERGENCY PROCEDURES- I missed one because I had Just heard engine and assumed it was the fire (even though i had already successfully completed) and tried to do it again. Not realizing it was engine malfunction because I only wrote down the word malfunction for that procedure.

All in all, STUDY KYLES GOUGE and you will be fine. I also saw the girl next to me writing down formulas for the OAR and NO ONE seemed to care so I may or may not have done the same. I will advise that writing the possible compass variations down is better than the compass trick as long as you can identify each one quickly. I averaged 2 seconds. I think my longest was 4. In between sections I wrote down motivating/encouraging words for myself. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL still needing to take the ASTB. I am pleased with my scores and hopefully they are good enough for the Jan Board.
could you better explain, or link, what youre talking about concerning the better-than-compass-track variations? thank you!

NevarYalnal

Didn't see this mentioned in the thread when searching so wanted to note I had a question on ductility in the Mechanical portion when I took the test the other day (pulling a rod into a wire)

gspock

Does anyone know how to solve this? I remember I had something like this on my first attempt.

Person A is running 8mph and is 6 miles away from the finish line, Person B is running at 10mph and is 8 miles away from the finish line. How much time will person A reach the finish line before Person B?

savage510

Test 1 (May 2020): 51 5/6/5
Test 2 (Yesterday): 59 8/9/8

I don't have much info that hasn't already been shared here, but i'll add some stuff i hadn't seen mentioned before that I believe helped me improve my scores.

UAV: I've seen a lot of people emphasize accuracy over speed here, but do not forget that you are scored on both accuracy AND speed. Use the compass trick and drill A LOT on flashcards (there have been some great ones posted in this thread). Once you've drilled to the point where you are confident that you can be 100% accurate, emphasize speed. When drilling, drill in the same position that you will have to be in when you're taking the test (ex: left hand with your compass rose, right hand available for the mouse so you can click faster). When i first started drilling I would hold the compass with my left hand and rotate it with my right, however that would have slowed me down greatly on the test since i would have had to reach for the mouse separately. Learn to use the compass using only your left hand. I was able to get most of the UAV questions in 1-1.5 seconds with a few sub 1 second clicks which im sure helped.

Tracking with the controls: The 1st time I took the ASTB the suction cups on the controls barely worked no matter how hard i tried to set it up. It was extremely annoying having the stick and throttle sliding around while already doing something so difficult. If your throttle and joystick slide during your practice, step out on the next instruction screen and ask your recruiter for tape. I spent at least 10 minutes using cheap scotch tape that my recruiter had to literally tape the throttle and stick to the table. This made it a lot smoother and helped my confidence.

Hope this helps.

PEFO Silver-Shades

Does anyone know how to solve this? I remember I had something like this on my first attempt.

Person A is running 8mph and is 6 miles away from the finish line, Person B is running at 10mph and is 8 miles away from the finish line. How much time will person A reach the finish line before Person B?
Correct me if im wrong but i would start out by dividing 8 Mph into 60 Minutes. this would lead to each mile taking 7.5 minutes. i would then multiple 7.5 by 6 Miles (The amount of miles away from the finish line) this means it would take him 45 minutes for Person A to reach the Finish line
I would then divide 10Mph into 60 Minutes, it would give me 6 Minutes for each mile. i would then multiple 6 by 8 which would give 48 Minutes
Lastly i would subtract 48-45=3, meaning Person A finished 3 minutes before Person B

gspock

Correct me if im wrong but i would start out by dividing 8 Mph into 60 Minutes. this would lead to each mile taking 7.5 minutes. i would then multiple 7.5 by 6 Miles (The amount of miles away from the finish line) this means it would take him 45 minutes for Person A to reach the Finish line
I would then divide 10Mph into 60 Minutes, it would give me 6 Minutes for each mile. i would then multiple 6 by 8 which would give 48 Minutes
Lastly i would subtract 48-45=3, meaning Person A finished 3 minutes before Person B
thank you!!!!

Snowprincess01

Sooooo, I took my ASTB today finally after countless reschedules. I didn't feel as prepared today as I did two weeks ago. With that said I scored 50 6/6/6. My recruiter is happy with it and says I have a solid package as a prior Marine, 3.75 GPA, references, and statement. He said honestly he just needed me to qualify. I don't feel that strongly about my test.

A big bummer I had was NOTHING I studied for was on the ANIT. I had 1 question about ailerons and everything else was random. I got a question on the Sea Dragon helicopter, who does someone else report to, what does 5 whistles blows mean... I thought I dove pretty hard into the navy and aviation info but oh well. I know my mechanics carried me. I also only got about 20 secs to practice on the joystick and throttle....

overall I'm doubtful.