• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

SLH350

pilot
On the apperception it's not an F-18, and it's trickier than anything they have on the practice tests. There are a few more in between angles that I hadn't seen on any of the practice I had done. Just be methodical about it and you'll be fine though.

TheBirdy

pilot
Hey Everybody,

Sorry I couldn't find these answers in the ASTB thread....so many pages! Figured I could get a quick response with a post. I'm taking the ASTB next week but I had a few questions on the computer based ASTB.

1) I've heard that the computer version of the ASTB will not allow you to skip questions and come back to them before you finish a section. Is this true? A very useful test strategy is skipping questions you're not sure of and doing them later if you have time remaining.

2) For the reading section, are you able to reference the paragraph while answering questions or do they expect you to remember what you read.

3) Do any recruiting districts still give the written exam or has everyone gone with the computer version.

4) Just out of curiosity, for the spatial apperception section, are they using the image of the F-18 or the older Corsair... or is it random?

Thanks so much for the help!

3) There are districts that still give the written exam. You can request it, as I did back in August 2010.

2) You can reference the paragraph while answering the questions.

4) It's not an F-18, it's the Corsair (or something that looks very similar to it, maybe a Wildcat :confused:). It doesn't really matter though as GreenLantern said.

Didn't take the PC version so I can't answer question 1.

Good luck.

mid1510

any idea how to solve this?

There are 3 times as many red balls as blue balls. How many balls can there be? - A) 13 B)9 C)10 D)16

TheBirdy

pilot
any idea how to solve this?

There are 3 times as many red balls as blue balls. How many balls can there be? - A) 13 B)9 C)10 D)16

This is a ratio problem. The question says there are 3 times as many red balls as blue balls. So think of it as 3:1. Using the ratio given, if you had one blue ball, you would have 3 red balls, thus 4 balls total. Which answer choice is divisible by 4? (D: 16).

You would have 12 red balls and 4 blue balls.

JKid

I took the ASTB today and scored 6/7/7/55. I heard that's a good score, but I'm not happy with it because I know I could do better. That being said, I plan to re-take the test at the end of March when the 30 days pass.

A few math questions tripped me up, but the questions I really struggled with were a few questions regarding piloting. Specifically I need to know more about transponders and communications. I've decided I need to memorize a pilot manual and I heard the Jeppesen is good. Would anyone recommend other manuals that would also be worth looking over?

Just in general, thanks to everyone who has posted information on Air Warriors. The information I've found on here since registering has been quite useful.

citadel2010

heard through the grape vine that of 1500 today, all Navy OCS programs are suspended untill the end of the calender year. I have not been in touch with my recruiter yet, has anyone heard about this or is it false rumors.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I took the ASTB today and scored 6/7/7/55. I heard that's a good score, but I'm not happy with it because I know I could do better. That being said, I plan to re-take the test at the end of March when the 30 days pass.

A few math questions tripped me up, but the questions I really struggled with were a few questions regarding piloting. Specifically I need to know more about transponders and communications. I've decided I need to memorize a pilot manual and I heard the Jeppesen is good. Would anyone recommend other manuals that would also be worth looking over?

Just in general, thanks to everyone who has posted information on Air Warriors. The information I've found on here since registering has been quite useful.

Don't retake until you submit to the boards! Your scores are fine!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
heard through the grape vine that of 1500 today, all Navy OCS programs are suspended untill the end of the calender year. I have not been in touch with my recruiter yet, has anyone heard about this or is it false rumors.

So are you just trying to spread rumors? Why is your entire profile . ?

aburr

Sounds Fishy. Are you just trying to scare people into not applying to dilute the field?

TheBirdy

pilot

Seeing that the FY2011 quotas have not been met, I'm gonna call bullshit.

citadel2010

absolutely not, Im A Citadel Grad, thats not my nature. I was just seeing if any of you guys might of heard something Similar, and lets pray that this false.

Lucy

I think it was that the info was bs, not that you were. That said, defending yourself by what school you went to is not likely a very effective defense.

FY11 is nearly 100% full, however FY12(OCS dates after July) is not for most desginators. Except SWO which is "full" until further notice. Also, selects for FY13 begin in the fall, so the idea that the boards are full for the entire calander year is just silly. Not your fault, but just bad source I would say.

citadel2010

Thats why i posted this on here, I know a few of you are more in tune with the current situation. I never stated that it was true, i was trying to get some facts strait. And as far as where i went to school, i take it very seriously And my word is the absolute Truth.