• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thats why i posted this on here, I know a few of you are more in tune with the current situation. I never stated that it was true, i was trying to get some facts strait. And as far as where i went to school, i take it very seriously And my word is the absolute Truth.

She made a valid statement. Nobody is going to care where you went to school unless it concerns that particular school. As far as your word being the absolute Truth only time will truly tell.

Now, I believe your question earlier has been answered as well. Nobody here has heard anything at this time to agree with what you have heard. Does this mean it is inaccurate? No, it just means at this time no one else has heard this. As Lucy and Raven pointed out it isn't very feasible for this to be true either. Good Luck!

Also, fill out your profile. That may help others believe you in the future! ;)

scarfus

FS SNA, March 25th OCS
8/9/9 61 on Form 5. Most of the supplemental stuff was aviation knowledge...review the FAA handbook.

JKid

Don't retake until you submit to the boards! Your scores are fine!

The way I look at it is this...My application goes to the March boards and is either accepted or rejected. If it's accepted, hurry up and wait. If it's rejected, I can retake the ASTB anytime at the end of March or later to get a higher score and have a better application package. I figure that either way I'm in a decent position at the moment.

Thoughts?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
The way I look at it is this...My application goes to the March boards and is either accepted or rejected. If it's accepted, hurry up and wait. If it's rejected, I can retake the ASTB anytime at the end of March or later to get a higher score and have a better application package. I figure that either way I'm in a decent position at the moment.

Thoughts?

If it will be the first time retaking the ASTB then that sounds about right. It also allows you to resubmit in the next available boards without the 6 month wait to reapply!

ciws1982

I e-mailed the OCS help desk. All SWO boards have been canceled for FY 11. Not all of OCS.
Here is the e-mail address to get all of your questions answered about the PROBOARDS.
ocsquestions@navy.mil.
901-874-9028 is the number.
ref. OPNAVINST 1420.1B
10 Years in the Navy and I don't rely on the "grape vine". Hope this helps.

VNE

Just got back from my test (Form 3).....9/9/8 66 !!!!!! I am Uber-stoked about those scores, and I owe Airwarriors a debt of gratitude for all of the great gouge that I used to study with for the last 3 months. I will post a synopsis of what I studied in the near future, but for now....I'm off to the bar!!!

airhorn

question: on test form 5 there was a question regarding compressed air in a closed space and its volume in relation to temperature. According to atrick's guide, compressing air will decrease the volume and raise the temperature. But the question on the test asked what happens to the volume when you increase the temperature of the compressed air. Can anyone shed any light on this?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Ideal Gas Law says PV=nrT. Simplifying you get PV is proportional to T. Let's look at two cases, a constant volume, V, and a constant pressure, P. Here I'm assuming that the question on the test said something along the lines of "constant pressure" (or gave you some sort of mechanical system with a pressure release valve so that P=constant).

constant P:
Provided that the pressure inside the container stays the same (think very easy to blow up balloon), increasing the temperature would increase the volume of the balloon. Decreasing the temperature would cause the balloon to shrink. You can try this at home with a balloon and your freezer, but I wouldn't recommend putting a balloon in your oven; it could get messy.

constant V:
Provided the volume remains the same (think of a SCUBA tank at reasonable operating pressures), decreasing the pressure inside the container decreases the temperature and vice versa. A way you can see this at home is with a can of computer duster; it will get cold to the touch if you empty it in one spray and why both vessels are supposed to stay away from big, open flames; if either were put into a hot environment, the pressure inside will rise and can eventually overcome the yield strength of the material of the container, causing it to explode.

DIY science experiments are fun :D. Did that answer your question?

VNE

Ok, (Test 3) 9/9/8 66

Study Materials: This is what I studied in order of what I felt was important

Marine Gouge
Atrickpays guide
Barron's MFAT (Although lots of mistakes, the ability to see them and correct them is a big step in the right direction)
Pilot's HB of Aero Knowledge
Cliff Notes guide to Math for Standardized Tests
Peterson's MFAT
Arco's MFAT
Barron's OCS Test guide
A High School Algebra book I picked up at the Half-priced bookstore
The Navy's Blue Jacket Manual
Arco's OCS Test guide
Yahoo answers (for math questions)
Cliff Notes MFAT
Cliff Notes OC Tests

I read through every post of this thread 5 or 6 times (yup, all 74 pages) as well as every post of every thread in the ASTB Forum looking for anything of value. There are posts that have very comprehensive summaries of people's testing experiences that I highly reccommend.

(rant/)

Now, I studied my butt off for 3 months for this test. I probably invested around 150-200 cumulative hours doing so. This is largely due to the fact that I knew I needed to do well on this test. I have a 2.53 GPA in General Studies (Concentrations in Biz Mgmt, Geography, Criminal Justice.) No engineering background, TERRIBLE at Algebra and far from being any kind of a genius. I forfeited many social engagements, fun activities, and gave up nights at the bar to spend studying. I skipped lunch breaks at work, stayed up late, and woke up early to study. I wrote math/physics formulas in marker on my bathroom mirror and had copies of atrickpays study guide in every bathroom. I went through every study guide I could find and took the tests many times under timed conditions. I seriously considered quitting my job just to make more time for studying. It seems the only entertainment that I was afforded is reading people's posts on this forum about being upset at their scores after an entire week of studying. Then I would think, "Really? A whole week and it wasn't enough?" and then I would almost feel sorry for them..............almost. Or watching the poor soul ask a question that was answered 2 pages earlier in the same thread.

As I mentioned earlier, I was terrible at Algebra all my life......until now. I knew that the Math section was loaded with it and that math was very heavily weighted in the scores....so I made myself learn it. I rented algebra dvd's, read books on it, even made mini tests for myself. I practiced EVERY (and I mean "every") math question in all of the study guides that I stated above until I was blue in the face. I now could teach a college level Algebra class if I wanted to (or at least I feel like I could.) You should approach every test section that same way. There is absolutely no reason that any of you can't dominate this test. If I can do it, then so can you. If you don't have time to study....then MAKE time. Keep in mind, there are many applicants who are working full steam to get picked and will stop at nothing to get it....are you doing the same? If you think you mastered a subject on this test, review it again. For many of you, this is the first test the military has given you. You should be giving it 100% to prepare for it. A half-assed effort is unacceptable in all facets of the military and quite frankly, I wouldn't want to serve with someone like you. If at the end of the day you can say that you gave it everything you had with no regrets, then you have done everything you could and I wish you the best of luck and the coldest of beer.

(rant\)

Now, I attribute my aviation knowledge to having a PPL and being surrounded by aviation my whole life. I understand how pricey flight time is as I paid my way through flight training. My advice to you is to go hang out at an airport that has a flight school and bring along questions that you may have about aerodynamics, light gun signals, etc.. Look for a CFI who is lounging around and ask him if he wouldn't mind answering a few questions for you. 99% of the time they would be more than happy to help you out for nothing. Ask if he can show you the planes, the control surfaces, and how they work. Also, the PHAK is unequivocally the BEST source you can use for the aviation sections. You will be VERY glad that you used it on test day. If any of you have any questions that you can't seem to find an answer to (after you have conducted a thorough search ofcourse), I would be more than happy to help you out.

mkaiser87

Competitive?

I was just wondering if anyone had any input on whether they think I'm competitive enough for SNA...

AQR: 6
PFAR: 7
FOFAR: 7
OAR: 52

B.A. History: GPA - 2.964

LOR: O-5 Intel, my boss, and my community service/leadership adviser

I know my GPA is low, but do I have a chance for flight, or should I consider retaking the ASTB?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I can't remember all of the stats from the November boards, but 6s and 7s are definitely good enough and a 52 isn't bad either. Typically you can offset a sub-par GPA with stellar LoRs and a solid ASTB score. All of these factors are looked at so boosting any of them will up your chances; try to get another LoR if you can or taking a few classes to bump you to a 3.+ before retaking the ASTB. Having said that [and not being able to read your LoRs], your ASTB looks like the stronger of the two (ASTB & GPA) so I dont think I would retake it.

What are your recruiter's thoughts??

edit: Actually a 52 is a pretty solid OAR and should be ample for SNA. If you can't get seen for the April boards, I'd definitely take another course or two at a local community college (or whatever is cheapest) to boost your GPA to a 3.+

mkaiser87

I can't remember all of the stats from the November boards, but 6s and 7s are definitely good enough and a 52 isn't bad either. Typically you can offset a sub-par GPA with stellar LoRs and a solid ASTB score. All of these factors are looked at so boosting any of them will up your chances; try to get another LoR if you can or taking a few classes to bump you to a 3.+ before retaking the ASTB. Having said that [and not being able to read your LoRs], your ASTB looks like the stronger of the two (ASTB & GPA) so I dont think I would retake it.

What are your recruiter's thoughts??

edit: Actually a 52 is a pretty solid OAR and should be ample for SNA. If you can't get seen for the April boards, I'd definitely take another course or two at a local community college (or whatever is cheapest) to boost your GPA to a 3.+

Thanks for the input Mike Guy. Yeah, my recruiter just got back to me and he said that I had great scores and that I should get my package in. If I have everything done by next week, do you think I will make the April board? Thanks again...oh, and he also said that three letters is just fine.

Lucy

3 is what is required, I think mike was saying a steller one would be a place you could improve.

Applications are due to TN by the 25th, most ORs want to have everything at least a week before, and then you have to go in and sign everything.