• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

MadBur10

Sup,

Just took the ASTB today, and did pretty bad for the first attempt. 5/5/5. yikes.

I've been studying off and on for about a month, but it seems like the material I studied for the most didn't even appear. But, to keep a positive feedback loop going, here is my $0.02 on the test, and some tips on how to do better (or worse) than me.

MATH
- I got kicked out early on this section so not that much information to provide. Know percentages, square roots, and probability. D= RT as well.

Reading
- Boring Navy hooplah. Name of the game is to find the answer that sums up the main idea of what the paragraph is talking about.

MECH
- some pulleys, no levers, wheel and axle, and other simple machines. Bernoulli is big here

ANIT
- know how a plane works. seriously. I did not get any softball navy questions (i.e. first man in space, etc.), all were technical plane mechanics and questions such as "what's the difference between AOA and AOI."

PBM
- I sold here. if you can't get 42/42 correct and under 2s on the UAV correct, you're not ready for the ASTB plain and simple. Write down your emergency procedures and for the love of everything good in God's green Earth, LISTEN DURING THE DICHOTIC TEST (go figure right). the simulator that the one academy nerd made is great. good stuff; use that. Terrain ID is nuts. treat it like the UAV portion and just give it your best call.

Final Thoughts:
  • There is a quote from a movie I like called Princess Mononoke that reads: "You may not be able to change your fate, but you can rise to meet it." That being said, the ASTB is an aptitude test, and there is only so much you can do for it. Don't sweat the details.
  • If you get kicked out early from a section...you're probably, excuse my French, doing shit.
  • Use an ASTB book if you want, but I will say this forum has all the gouge you may possibly need. Study up on the links here, like Kyle or Gomez's drive. Not going to repost because the links are all across the forum.

Going to retake probably next semester.

I just took the OAR yesterday and agree - it seems like the math material I studied for months never appeared. I could tell I was doing shit and got kicked out early. Somewhat glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

airgetlaam

I just took the OAR yesterday and agree - it seems like the math material I studied for months never appeared. I could tell I was doing shit and got kicked out early. Somewhat glad to hear I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
Sup Mad,

We both did dog water and y'know what? That's okay. Not sure what your score was but I'm guessing it was close to mine, but for a first attempt we at least got eyes on the test and know how to approach it the next time. It's statistically proven that on your second retake you do better by 1-2 points in all categories I think (source: trust me lol). Or, you could be the outlier and do worse...who knows lol.

bentilkin

Does anyone know any tricks for Terrain Identification? I keep scoring between 60%-90% on the ASTB prep app. I also think some of those answers might be wrong on there, but I am not sure if that is just me or not.
I found a trick with my pencil that got me almost %100 accuracy every time. I would find a landmark on the zoomed-in map that was straight up and down with my pencil, then rotate my pencil in the direction of the north-up map that matched the same landmarks. The direction that your pencil is pointing would be your new heading and answer. I could quickly find the new heading of the map once I practiced this for about an hour.

gtigers222

I'm taking the ASTB again in late feb and bought the HOTAS X52 to help prepare for the PBM section, but I am having trouble setting it up. I am currently using a mac and I downloaded joystick mapper and mapped the controllers but have been unable to get it to work on the Jantzen sim. If anyone has some tips on how to get that to work it would be greatly appreciated.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
I'm taking the ASTB again in late feb and bought the HOTAS X52 to help prepare for the PBM section, but I am having trouble setting it up. I am currently using a mac and I downloaded joystick mapper and mapped the controllers but have been unable to get it to work on the Jantzen sim. If anyone has some tips on how to get that to work it would be greatly appreciated.
Hmmm. Did you test it outside Jantzen's sim? Like does your mouse move around when you move the flight stick around (iirc that's how the mapping worked)? If not then there might be an issue with the mapping. I'm not very knowledgeable on MacOS but there might be certain limitations or permissions involved for that setup to work beyond simply mapping your controller and opening the sim. I'd recommend going to the threads specifically focused on that topic, they can probably do a better job helping you troubleshoot. https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...formance-based-measures-section.47929/page-18

bware661

Took the ASTB for the second time. This time I spent hundreds of dollars on a tutor. My scores were almost the same as the first test.
OAR 44,4/4/4/47

gtigers222

Hmmm. Did you test it outside Jantzen's sim? Like does your mouse move around when you move the flight stick around (iirc that's how the mapping worked)? If not then there might be an issue with the mapping. I'm not very knowledgeable on MacOS but there might be certain limitations or permissions involved for that setup to work beyond simply mapping your controller and opening the sim. I'd recommend going to the threads specifically focused on that topic, they can probably do a better job helping you troubleshoot. https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...formance-based-measures-section.47929/page-18
On the joystick mapper app it shows that the controls are registering, just not sure how to connect it to the mouse settings. If thats even possible.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
On the joystick mapper app it shows that the controls are registering, just not sure how to connect it to the mouse settings. If thats even possible.
Not only is it possible, but its necessary. That's the intended use case for the mapping software. The website doesn't pick up joystick and throttle input, only mouse and keyboard input - hence the mapping software (either Joy2Key or AntiMicro will do). Not sure what mapping software you're using, but either of these two will accomplish the job. My personal recommendation is AntiMicro. In here https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/x52-anti-micro-set-up.49830/ there's a ready to use profile on the first page you can use (assuming you're using an X52).

Wah__

What material did you study and what did you see on the test, if you don't mind me asking?

NotMaverick

Long time lurker here, I just took the ASTB. This thread is a GODSEND and it helped me cram a lot of information in just two weeks of prep time. I scored a 50 5/6/6 and I’m currently a MECEPer trying to get an aviation guaranteed contract prior to TBS (I’ll be graduating next year). Will this score be enough to obtain that contract or should I start studying again to re take the ASTB?

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Long time lurker here, I just took the ASTB. This thread is a GODSEND and it helped me cram a lot of information in just two weeks of prep time. I scored a 50 5/6/6 and I’m currently a MECEPer trying to get an aviation guaranteed contract prior to TBS (I’ll be graduating next year). Will this score be enough to obtain that contract or should I start studying again to re take the ASTB?
I don't know anything but I did find this comment by reddit user zhall92:
I also found this comment:
TLDR: If you have above a 4/6/6 or above on the ASTB (which you do), and are squared away in all the other areas you *should* be good to go.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Having trouble with terrain identification. I've seen some post about the pencil trick, but it is not making much sense to me. Any help? Test in 9 days.
I have mine this Wednesday and have been practicing with that technique. I'm willing to help. DM (PM?) coming your way.

bentilkin

Having trouble with terrain identification. I've seen some post about the pencil trick, but it is not making much sense to me. Any help? Test in 9 days.
Let me know if this makes more sense for the pencil trick:

1. For the zoomed-in map on the right, take your pencil and hold it straight up and down over the map, with the pointed end facing up.
2. Find a landmark or two that aligns with your pencil vertically such as a highway, two lakes in a vertical line, a mountain ridge, a dock, two road intersections, or something else along those lines.
3. Find those same landmarks on the north-up map and hold your pencil over them in the same direction as you did on the zoomed-in map. For example: if you found two lakes in a vertical line on the zoomed-in map, and your pencil tip was over the smaller of the two lakes, your pencil tip should still be over the smaller lake in the north-up map, with the eraser end over the other lake. Notice that your pencil is now facing a new direction.
4. With your new pencil orientation, place it over the compass, and the pencil tip end will be pointing in the same direction as one of the options. The option that correlates with the pencil tip is your answer.

Note: If you can't find landmarks on the zoomed-in map that are perfectly straight up and down, don't worry. The options on the compass are spaced 30 degrees off from one another, so as long as it's relatively close to straight up and down, you should still be able to find the correct answer. It'll take quite a few reps before it clicks in your head, at least it did for me. Practice, practice, practice.

x15adam

SNA Applicant
Lots of good information in this thread. Just took it today 61 9/8/7.

--MST--
Saw radians to degrees problems, probability problems, some interesting exponent and radical problems (didn't anticipate having to take the 5th root of a fraction), logarithms, a very lengthy algebra problem, a problem where I had to express the volume of a smaller shape using the variables of a larger identical shape, and a problem where I had to figure out what the diameter of a circle would be based on an arc of the circle and line across that arc.

A lot of the material I expected to see on the test wasn't there for me, such as distance rate time, work rate time, volume and surface area calculations, ounces-pounds, ounces-gallons, unit conversions, quadratic equations, sin cos tan (trig), %change, %profit, simple and compound interest, systems of equations, matrix operations, etc.

--RCT--
Nothing new or notable here.

--MCT--
For me this area was exclusively conceptual. Thankfully didn't get any problems that required scratch paper.

--ANIT--
Questions were almost exclusively aviation related. Had maybe 3 Naval/Nautical questions.

--PBM--
On the dichotic listening test the "target" ear actually switches, it doesn't remain constant. For example in the middle of the test you might hear "Right" and immediately have to switch from listening to your Left ear to listening to your Right ear. The target ear alternated maybe 3 or 4 times during my test.

--------------------------
Don't let your perception get the better of you. On a test like this it's easy to feel like you're failing, but regardless of how you feel you're doing just keep your head up and give it your all until its over. Good luck everyone.