• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

FireSnow

Does anyone know any tricks for Terrain Identification? I keep scoring between 60%-90% on the ASTB prep app. I also think some of those answers might be wrong on there, but I am not sure if that is just me or not.

maxk

Does anyone know any tricks for Terrain Identification? I keep scoring between 60%-90% on the ASTB prep app. I also think some of those answers might be wrong on there, but I am not sure if that is just me or not.
What I did was make a compass rose with 8 points, so N NE E SE etc. Then find a straight identifiable feature on the right, zoomed in side, and then find it on your left hand map. Use your compass rose to find the direction that straight line feature is pointing on the left hand side, and then line it up on your right hand side. From there, you should be able to easily tell what direction is pointing "up". I was very easily getting 100% using that method, and I am fairly certain I did not miss a single one on the exam. I think there was around 25 problems on the exam, I can't remember the exact number. LMK if you have further questions.

dav246

What I did was make a compass rose with 8 points, so N NE E SE etc. Then find a straight identifiable feature on the right, zoomed in side, and then find it on your left hand map. Use your compass rose to find the direction that straight line feature is pointing on the left hand side, and then line it up on your right hand side. From there, you should be able to easily tell what direction is pointing "up". I was very easily getting 100% using that method, and I am fairly certain I did not miss a single one on the exam. I think there was around 25 problems on the exam, I can't remember the exact number. LMK if you have further questions.
This is basically what I ended up doing. If you do it right, it will always give you the right answer.

Unknown1

Hello! Scored 55 6/9/7 and wondering if it's worth a retake for considering SNA/NFO.. Not sure what's considered competitive or not.

Ezejay_11

Hello! Scored 55 6/9/7 and wondering if it's worth a retake for considering SNA/NFO.. Not sure what's considered competitive or not.
I am no expert by any means, but those are DECENT scores. I’ve seen some get in with lower. That’s pretty competitive as far as PFAR and FOFAR scores are concerned. If you wanna have more of a chance, obviously reach for the stars and go for those higher scores but I feel like those are really good scores. Avg is 7/7/7 for navy SNA

jgeraghty

I would submit with these scores. 9 PFAR is will boost your SNA chances quite a bit. If you apply a couple times and don't get accepted, then I'd consider retesting.

jkschu9

What scores on the Jantzen sim should I generally be shooting for? I am practicing with a joystick and two levels down from the hardest difficulty. I scored 7/7/6 on my first ASTB and am trying to score one point higher to get the immediate selection

airgetlaam

Sup,

Just took the ASTB today, and did pretty bad for the first attempt. 5/5/5. yikes.

I've been studying off and on for about a month, but it seems like the material I studied for the most didn't even appear. But, to keep a positive feedback loop going, here is my $0.02 on the test, and some tips on how to do better (or worse) than me.

MATH
- I got kicked out early on this section so not that much information to provide. Know percentages, square roots, and probability. D= RT as well.

Reading
- Boring Navy hooplah. Name of the game is to find the answer that sums up the main idea of what the paragraph is talking about.

MECH
- some pulleys, no levers, wheel and axle, and other simple machines. Bernoulli is big here

ANIT
- know how a plane works. seriously. I did not get any softball navy questions (i.e. first man in space, etc.), all were technical plane mechanics and questions such as "what's the difference between AOA and AOI."

PBM
- I sold here. if you can't get 42/42 correct and under 2s on the UAV correct, you're not ready for the ASTB plain and simple. Write down your emergency procedures and for the love of everything good in God's green Earth, LISTEN DURING THE DICHOTIC TEST (go figure right). the simulator that the one academy nerd made is great. good stuff; use that. Terrain ID is nuts. treat it like the UAV portion and just give it your best call.

Final Thoughts:
  • There is a quote from a movie I like called Princess Mononoke that reads: "You may not be able to change your fate, but you can rise to meet it." That being said, the ASTB is an aptitude test, and there is only so much you can do for it. Don't sweat the details.
  • If you get kicked out early from a section...you're probably, excuse my French, doing shit.
  • Use an ASTB book if you want, but I will say this forum has all the gouge you may possibly need. Study up on the links here, like Kyle or Gomez's drive. Not going to repost because the links are all across the forum.

Going to retake probably next semester.

exNavyOffRec

Great job on the PFAR, submit for either SNA or SNFO, too often if you submit for both a person gets SNFO when they wanted SNA, it is unusual to see that combination of score though lol.
I am no expert by any means, but those are DECENT scores. I’ve seen some get in with lower. That’s pretty competitive as far as PFAR and FOFAR scores are concerned. If you wanna have more of a chance, obviously reach for the stars and go for those higher scores but I feel like those are really good scores. Avg is 7/7/7 for navy SNA
The average is not 7/7/7 that is for autoselect, the average scores for selection are different for SNA and SNFO with SNA the most competitive with PFAR of almost 8.
I would submit with these scores. 9 PFAR is will boost your SNA chances quite a bit. If you apply a couple times and don't get accepted, then I'd consider retesting.
He can't get better than 9 and the only thing that matters if going for SNA is that PFAR score and a qualifying AQR score which he has.