• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

ktraum

70 9/9/9
Hey all. I've been writing up an email the past couple hours for someone who is about to take the ASTB. Thought that I should just share the email on here in case anybody is interested. I got a 67 9/9/9 on the ASTB back in July, and I would not have been able to get that without this thread.
100% agree with everything discussed in this post. Posting here to stress that Dinosaurologist outlines one of many great strategies for success on the ASTB, and on a personal note I know that this works because it sounds very similar to what I did to prepare.

This thread took me from 54 5/4/6 first try to 70 9/9/9 second try. Thank you AW! :)

Nathant09

You gotta nail down some sort of method, I do have one if you are interested. I have helped out two other guys on here, one seemed to get it through simple explanation, the other one we did a video call. Kinda depends on how you learn.
Hey, I’m interested in hearing your explanation. Just started studying for the OAR. Goal is to test first of the year.

dav246

Hey, I’m interested in hearing your explanation. Just started studying for the OAR. Goal is to test first of the year.
First, you are going to want a good 16 point compass. Find one on the internet and print if possible. You only get a 12 point on the test, but thats okay because none of the answers on the actual test will be semicardinal. Print the 16 anyway for practice on the app because some of Scoops's questions have semicardinal answers.

1. On the left hand map, with the understanding that it is always oriented north, find a nice easy to idenify landmark with an obvious easy to work with heading, the easiest one you can find. For example, say, a peninsula that is very clearly pointing East. You should be able to find the landmark you choose on both maps.
2. Determine which direction the righthand map rotated in relation to the lefthand map.
3. Using your compass rose (feel free to put that puppy right up against the screen and in fact I encourage it), rotate in that direction until your original bearing lines up with your landmark.
4. If you did it right, the answer should be whatever direction is now at the top of your compass rose.

MrCorsair

Hey guys, just curious as to how accurate the OAR math practice guide found in Kyles Drive is to the actual test. I see the practice test was made in 2016, and the drive was created in 2019, and I was just wondering if the questions on that practice guide are still good to study for the current OAR ASTB. Thanks guys.

Empire16

It will never be 100% but, if you can do the problems on kyles drive (or at least most of them) you will be good. Also learn how to mess around with negative exponents, and fraction exponents. I had a few questions with these including one or two with a negative fractional exponent haha. And I suck at math, actually failed in HS and I am a political science major. If I can do it you 100% can as well..

Reactions: DBM

Knots

Hey Guys, I used to see a bunch of study materials on here. Have they been removed? Any recommendations for studying?

just to be sure since it's been a while since i first took the exam; is the dichostic listening portion from the actual exam similar to the DLT option on the ASTB Prep app or is it similar to what you see on the jantzenx/jomo1 joystick simulator? I vaguely remember it being exactly like what you see on the ASTB Prep app, but i also remember that the target ear switches several times throughout the exam.

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
just to be sure since it's been a while since i first took the exam; is the dichostic listening portion from the actual exam similar to the DLT option on the ASTB Prep app or is it similar to what you see on the jantzenx/jomo1 joystick simulator? I vaguely remember it being exactly like what you see on the ASTB Prep app, but i also remember that the target ear switches several times throughout the exam.
I believe it switches during the exam several times, unlike in the ASTB Prep app at the moment. Future versions of the app will include a feature to have it switch ears during the simulator session.

dav246

It switches ears simalarly to Jantzens, but it differs from that and the app update in that it blasts both your ears simulataneously with singular similar sounding things (like "three" and "Z") every few seconds or so. Not quite like the barrage in Jantzens simulator.

dav246

Warriors,

The latest update of the ASTB Prep app for iOS now includes a Dichotic Listening Simulator (DLT) due to popular demand. We are currently working on further improvements. I want to express my gratitude to the people who helped me develop this feature. Lastly, Merry Christmas to all!

Two Scoops,

ASTB Prep (iOS)
Yeeeeesh scoops, keep this up and the Navy gon put you on a list

Wah__

Hi all, what’s the consensus on Electrical problems showing up on the mechanical comprehension portion of the test? How much should i know? I’ve tried searching the forum for either study materials on the topic or any general info relating and can’t find anything.