• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

dav246

Yes, but note the RAM requirement is only for Android Devices. If you are planning on getting iPhone, you won't have any issues running it on any iPhone 10 and above.
I am thinking of investing in an Ipad or possibly an Android tablet. Very likely an Ipad though. Does it matter for Ipads?

aburg22

Will do brotha; I will try and get another update out by Friday evening.
Hey TwoScoops, love your app. I’ve been using it to study and it’s worth every penny. I believe some of the answer choices within the terrain identification test may be inaccurate or I’m just wrong. I only notice it when the question map is rotated to a 60° offset. I don’t miss the cardinal direction questions. One example is when the map (in my opinion) appears to be rotated NNE, the correct answer within the app is NNW. Am I interpreting this wrong?

TwoScoops

Two Scops
None
Hey TwoScoops, love your app. I’ve been using it to study and it’s worth every penny. I believe some of the answer choices within the terrain identification test may be inaccurate or I’m just wrong. I only notice it when the question map is rotated to a 60° offset. I don’t miss the cardinal direction questions. One example is when the map (in my opinion) appears to be rotated NNE, the correct answer within the app is NNW. Am I interpreting this wrong?
Thanks for using the app and bringing up the issue. I will look into this tomorrow and get back to you.

dav246

On the iPad side, I would probably go 2021 or newer. I'm not sure about the specifics of each model.
Well, just went ahead and bought an Ipad 10.2(7th gen, but the 2019 version with upgraded RAM) which can run up to IpadIOS 17 and has 3 GB RAM from that site you shared with me, we'll see how it pans out. It'll be here in like 2 days and I have 30 days for a free return, so I am not too worried about it. And I am reasonably confident it will be enough.

Last edited:

splynts

Hello everyone, I'm retaking the ASTB tomorrow and received a 4/4/5 on my previous exam.

All I need is to raise my PFAR to a 5 to qualify for flight school (Coast Guard) but I'm wondering what exactly the PFAR is dependent on.

dav246

Hello everyone, I'm retaking the ASTB tomorrow and received a 4/4/5 on my previous exam.

All I need is to raise my PFAR to a 5 to qualify for flight school (Coast Guard) but I'm wondering what exactly the PFAR is dependent on.
ANIT and PBM mostly.

dav246

You wouldn't happen to know what the new "terrain identification" section is mostly weighted into would you?
I don't think its part of the PBM? Probably the FOFAR, not sure though. Of course, do as well as you can on all the sections, because they all weigh in to some degree, and the UAV and new subtest should be easy money which will only help.

chrisp6

I'm not sure at this point; I intend to add more maps as time passes, preferably map data that closely resembles the actual exam. In this case, I need more feedback to do. Does anyone know whether the reference map changes throughout the Terrain Identification Test?
I just took the test on Monday. Got a 675

Yes the terrain map changes. And they are like obvious pictures as well. Like a beach next to water or a specific port with easily identifiable rocks hills or streams. Also when you answer it has you mark your heading on a compass at the bottom of the screen. I was totally taken off guard when this section popped up at the end and totally killed my NFO score. If anyone has any tips or tricks such as the compass trick on how to do better on this part I will heavily consider retaking the exam. I also wouldn’t mind some advice from someone on whether I should retake anyways with the score I have.

dav246

Yes the terrain map changes. And they are like obvious pictures as well. Like a beach next to water or a specific port with easily identifiable rocks hills or streams. Also when you answer it has you mark your heading on a compass at the bottom of the screen. I was totally taken off guard when this section popped up at the end and totally killed my NFO score. If anyone has any tips or tricks such as the compass trick on how to do better on this part I will heavily consider retaking the exam. I also wouldn’t mind some advice from someone on whether I should retake anyways with the score I have.
Well, depends on what branch you are going for. Marines and Coast Guard, you should be square. Navy.... Take again.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access

Ok, I have several questions:
1. What position are you applying for?
2. Score is a 6/7/5? OAR is is missing, though it's somewhat irrelevant for SNO/SNFO applicants.
3. Are you asked to selected only cardinal directions or is it in degrees?

I haven't seen the section or plan on taking the ASTB again, but from the information provided thus far it doesn't sound like there are any clear tricks or hacks. My suggestion would be to pick a couple major terrain features and use that as a pattern to reference in the "turned" map. If the "turned" map needs to be rotated left 90 degrees, you would be facing East for example. You could use the app referenced above, play geometry based logic games, or even video games that require constant map usage (preferable where there is tactical map facing with your heading at the top of the screen and a strategic map with North at the top).

chrisp6

Ok, I have several questions:
1. What position are you applying for?
2. Score is a 6/7/5? OAR is is missing, though it's somewhat irrelevant for SNO/SNFO applicants.
3. Are you asked to selected only cardinal directions or is it in degrees?

I haven't seen the section or plan on taking the ASTB again, but from the information provided thus far it doesn't sound like there are any clear tricks or hacks. My suggestion would be to pick a couple major terrain features and use that as a pattern to reference in the "turned" map. If the "turned" map needs to be rotated left 90 degrees, you would be facing East for example. You could use the app referenced above, play geometry based logic games, or even video games that require constant map usage (preferable where there is tactical map facing with your heading at the top of the screen and a strategic map with North at the top).
I am in NROTC i have a 3.5 gpa in a tier 2 major and scored 51 on the OAR. applying for SNA and NFO.

Yes it has you mark your cardinal direction and degree but like not just south west there are two options. For example if you had a picture that looked like you are moving southwest, you wouldn’t just choose south west. There are two options in between the north south east west. I heard someone say if you get a piece of paper and mark the top of it. Line that paper up on the turned picture and then match it to the original. From there you can get a good idea of what direction you are headed towards. Too bad i found this out now haha.

MrCorsair

Sorry if this question has been asked 1000 times, but how reliable of a study guide is Barron's study guide specifically for math? I have heard mixed reviews on it (mostly positve). I have been studying math portions from the Barron's study guide and the Trivium study guide and am able to answer most. However, I am just wondering how good these sources really are because I looked at Kyle's drive and the questions on there seem a lot more complicated than what is found in most study guides ive seen. Thank you!