• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

redskies1

Just took the ASTB for my first time this morning. I'm a junior getting a BS in systems engineering (similar to general engineering) with a 3.71/4.0 GPA. I got a 68 8/6/7 (OAR AQR/PFAR/FOFAR) but I was hoping for a higher PFAR score. I felt like math, mechanical comprehension, and PBM went well, but I'm not sure why my PFAR is lower. I want SNA over SNFO, but my LT said my scores make me look like a better SNFO. Is it worth a retake to try to get a higher PFAR? What sections should I focus on to raise that score?

Studying for the ASTB more takes time away from school/research, so deciding to hit the books again would be a big commitment as the semester is starting to ramp up.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Ecufloridian

took the ASTB for my first time this morning. I'm a junior getting a BS in systems engineering (similar to general engineering) with a 3.71/4.0 GPA. I got a 68 8/6/7 (OAR AQR/PFAR/FOFAR) but I was hoping for a higher PFAR score. I felt like math, mechanical comprehension, and PBM went well, but I'm not sure why my PFAR is lower. I want SNA over SNFO, but my LT said my scores make me look like a better SNFO. Is it worth a retake to try to get a higher PFAR? What sections should I focus on to raise that score?

Studying for the ASTB more takes time away from school/research, so deciding to hit the books again would be a big commitment as the semester is starting to ramp up.

Just took the ASTB for my first time this morning. I'm a junior getting a BS in systems engineering (similar to general engineering) with a 3.71/4.0 GPA. I got a 68 8/6/7 (OAR AQR/PFAR/FOFAR) but I was hoping for a higher PFAR score. I felt like math, mechanical comprehension, and PBM went well, but I'm not sure why my PFAR is lower. I want SNA over SNFO, but my LT said my scores make me look like a better SNFO. Is it worth a retake to try to get a higher PFAR? What sections should I focus on to raise that score?

That's a high score. Congratulations man.
Do you remember the the question s for each section?
I really appreciate your help

Cam_desj

Pro-Rec Y SNA

I feel like this is a solid package for SNA. I got selected with similar scores (lower OAR) and lower GPA. I think you will be fine with those scores. Worse comes to worse you apply, don’t get accepted, then have to retake the ASTB. Just my opinion! Do what you feel is best

exNavyOffRec

Since you are a junior you have time to take a step back, study, and go again. Ideally you want a 7 to try for SNA, and 8 would be ideal.

Hopefully the backlog of those waiting for OCS for SNA will lessen but only time will tell.

exNavyOffRec

@exNavyOffRec do you feel like my scores (64 8/7/8) are in a decent spot? Obviously I wish that 7 was an 8 but it is what it is.
Go with it and see what happens, 7 is a tough spot as it is that iffy area, but if you retest and get lower you are sunk.

If you were to put for SNA and SNFO I would put a small bet they would give you SNFO and not SNA, so if you want only SNA then only put SNA.

FloridaDad

Go with it and see what happens, 7 is a tough spot as it is that iffy area, but if you retest and get lower you are sunk.

If you were to put for SNA and SNFO I would put a small bet they would give you SNFO and not SNA, so if you want only SNA then only put SNA.
Thanks! I’m planning on submitting for SNA only the first time for that reason. I really hope it works out because I don’t think I can put my family through several boards of this while SNFO would be a pretty sure bet. But man do I want to pilot. Do you think that 8 for AQR will help offset a lower GPA? I took a look at the previous board results and noticed that the 7s that got picked up mostly had 8s for AQR and the ones that didn’t mostly had 6s.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks! I’m planning on submitting for SNA only the first time for that reason. I really hope it works out because I don’t think I can put my family through several boards of this while SNFO would be a pretty sure bet. But man do I want to pilot. Do you think that 8 for AQR will help offset a lower GPA? I took a look at the previous board results and noticed that the 7s that got picked up mostly had 8s for AQR and the ones that didn’t mostly had 6s.
It might, go with it and see what happens, it is worth a shot.

Howdy everyone!

Long time AW lurker here. Finally took the ASTB and cut a 59 7-6-6.

I’ve been in the Navy for 10 years as an Aircrewman cumulating 2300 flight hours.
Crew Chief/FE NATOPS Instructor
NATOPS LPO
3.8 GPA Transportation and Logistics MGMT
Applying 23May SNA/SNFO

Just a few details about me however, what do y’all think my chances are getting selected for preferably SNA but possible SNFO?

Also, thank you to everyone who has posted their experience on this forum!

Cheers!
Pretty good! Since your enlisted there is a way you could potentially direct commissioning with a letter from an admiral. This program is new. I’m trying this way.

exNavyOffRec

Pretty good! Since your enlisted there is a way you could potentially direct commissioning with a letter from an admiral. This program is new. I’m trying this way.
very good point for him to go that route.

style point is that it is not a direct commissioning, that is a different program, direct commissioning means you raise your hand and get sworn in before going to any type of training.

very good point for him to go that route.

style point is that it is not a direct commissioning, that is a different program, direct commissioning means you raise your hand and get sworn in before going to any type of training.
You’re right, the new URLO ISPP states that your CO must approved your package and endorsed it. So, there is a probability of this not happening.

Hicks35

Hey everyone,

I just took the ASTB and received a 6/7/7. I'm currently a Junior in NROTC as a Marine Option. I'm wondering if I should retest, or try applying for the May board. My PFT is a 281 and my cumulative GPA is a 3.69 (General Business Major).

Thanks all!

Fib

Hey everyone,

I just took the ASTB and received a 6/7/7. I'm currently a Junior in NROTC as a Marine Option. I'm wondering if I should retest, or try applying for the May board. My PFT is a 281 and my cumulative GPA is a 3.69 (General Business Major).

Thanks all!
Why would you apply for OCS when you’re in NROTC?