• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

pao.SD

I went through all of Holly's ASTB "Practice Tests" and compiled 20 questions that I thought were the most challenging. If anybody wants to post solutions or direct message me with 'em, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

That was tough. I was unsure with #7, and #11.

1. $40.9
  2. 800 total kites.
  3. 5/36 chance
  4. 1/2 chance
  5. 1/36 chance
  6. A=10m, B=6m, C=9m
  7. 100m for each congruent side, 370m third side
  8. Fast plane at 800 mi/h
  9. A, 840 miles
  10. b, 10 mi/h
  11. I had trouble figuring this out. Not used to dealing with negative fractional exponents, let alone subtracting.
  12. c, 3 digits left of the decimal point
  13. c, 80
  14. c, Log(100x^2/y^(3/2))
  15. D, 3/4
  16. d, 11/16
  17. c, 0.125
  18. d, 18 people
  19. 26 members

pao.SD

I went through and made a word doc with the correct answers. I am not an expert so if you get a different answer you should check my work.

Hope this helps :)

Hey @gilan101, I reviewed my answers with yours and pretty nailed it down! However, for..

#2. I got 800 kites, instead of your answer of 700 kites. How I got that was, 100%-38%-25%=37% of the kites were blue. Thus, 296 blue kites represented 37% of all the total kites. I proceeded with the formula, .37*x=296 with x=total kites; x=800

Also, for #9, for which you requested correction, I got 840 miles. You were in the right track!
x=city miles
2x=highway miles

Using dimensional analysis, with the given information that we get 28mi/gal in the highway, and 20mi/gal in the city. That is the same thing as saying, respectively, 1gal/28mi in the highway and 1gal/20mi in the city.

(1/282x) + (1/20x) = 34 gallons
LCD=140
10x/140 + 7x/140 = 34
17x/140=34
x=280 miles
Now plug it back into the x and 2x, you get 280 + 2(280) = 840 miles

gilan101

Pilot Wannabe
Hey @gilan101, I reviewed my answers with yours and pretty nailed it down! However, for..

#2. I got 800 kites, instead of your answer of 700 kites. How I got that was, 100%-38%-25%=37% of the kites were blue. Thus, 296 blue kites represented 37% of all the total kites. I proceeded with the formula, .37*x=296 with x=total kites; x=800

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the formula, was struggling to figure that out! appreciate it!

mattcamp45

Y'all

Recently joined this site, but have stayed quiet in the background. Studied only for OAR, as my interest is Navy Intel; have obtained HPSP but am exploring other ways to serve. Took test, earned a 58. Background is BS in Neuroscience (with pre-medical requisite classes covered) and MS in Forensic Science. Figured I'd contribute, as this site helped a great deal and my score is something to be content with.

Math - Hardest section, unsure if bc poor math skills or actually difficult. Most questions were rate-related, proportions, or work hour. Maybe one or two math riddles, and one log question (can't remember the details, as it seemed too complex to me and I skipped nearly immediately). I felt like I was getting answers right since the questions got harder and harder, but like my brain was working through molasses. I would argue to study this section in two ways: first, make sure you are comfortable with most topics from whatever study source you use. Once you feel you have it down cold, start timing yourself. I did not do that, and greatly suffered for it, as my pacing was abysmal. Scour kahn academy for algebra I & II topics, and try to practice shortcuts (simplifying fractions, recognizing certain triangle values, root values, etc) to expedite things along.

Reading - Not terribly difficult if you really grasp critical thinking. Another poster noted elimination is key here, and I would say elimination may be what makes or breaks you here. Nearly every passage had the answer theme of 2 clearly wrong answers (the wrong subject was doing the action of the passage, or just utter nonsense) and an answer that was close but not quite (usually copying a word from the passage like a buzzword to drag you off course). Recognize the garbage outright, which gives you an immediate 50/50 shot; afterwards, be wary of an answer that directly copies a phrase or word verbatim. Just because those words are there doesn't make it right. Try to practice by reading articles of random themes, especially things you don't regularly read, and try to rephrase them into your own words and reduce the amount of jargon. Many passages seemed like they were directions or from rule books, and these sources may be best to practice from.

Mech Comp - Extremely weird in my opinion. Only had kinematics, simple machines, mech energy and fluids (but only gases, not liquids); actually saw the ideal gas law, but didn't think I would. No electronics, magnetism. No calcuations whatsoever except for the ideal gas law (I had to write it down and play with variables a tiny bit). Questions were super basic conceptual issues. If you are still in college, please try to take physics (a non-calculus based one is totally cool) so that this section becomes a walk in the park. If not an option or have tried and found it to be extremely difficult, I would not worry, as every one of these concepts is also on kahn academy. Again, concepts were important; if you understand and know the equations, bonus points, but just understand when acceleration is constant, how a pulley works, etc.

As an extra tip, you do have small amounts of time between each section. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS BREAK. Whether you just got murdered by math or just tore it up because you have great big brain energy, take breathers where you can get one. Try to relax, take some slow breaths, let out a quiet expletive - whatever it takes for you to shake off the last section and move on to the next one.

As for sources, that post on pg 257 (the godsend post as it is saved on my desktop) has great math practice. I personally used the momentix study prep materials, which were alright; math was way too easy, but the reading and mech prep was pretty in depth. Lastly, I'll post a study guide I found that had pretty grueling but very effective practice problems. Word of warning; it may be a repost.

I wish you all good luck as your test dates approach!

pao.SD

Hey Airwarriors.

First time poster, long time lurker. Got a 47 4/5/5 first try. I am definitely retaking in 31+ days time. With the help of this thread, I did learn very valuable information that my simple Barrons book did not cover.

Guys, I just came back from my second attempt and scored higher, achieving a 51 6/7/6.

What really helped was nailing down the Math, Mechanical, and ANIT. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. All the gouges, study guides that are within this thread are very helpful. My main studying guides were Kyles Gouge, Triviums ASTB book I bought, and a GRE book filled with practice problems.

Math
As others said, the test is adaptive, and will start to look harder as you progress. This is a good sign. Take your time in each question, don't rush, I ran out of time, but double-checked the question and solved it through the best of my abilities. I was doing 10-12 practice problems of math concepts I was unsure about, making sure I understood it. The questions presented won't be clear and cut, there will be curve balls. So being well-rounded in each concept is key. Concepts I experienced, and highly recommend to practice over and over:
  • D=rt ; Slow down and think about these problems. Assess what they give you in the problem concerning each variable, and apply! Example, if two planes are leaving the same airport, or are they heading towards each other. Find total average velocity during round trips. If John went x-mph for A minutes, y-mph for B minutes, and z-mph for C minutes, how far did he cover.
  • AVERAGES! my exam had a lot of these, and I could tell it was ramping up. If student A got a, b, c for his first three exams, what scores does he have to get on his 4th and 5th exam to get an average of X?
  • Interest rates, discounts, % increase.
  • Working together questions. If person A can do the job in 4 hours, person B in 7 hours. How long if they worked together.
  • Present, past, and future age questions. Sally is three years less than twice Jasons age, etc etc etc, how old is Jason in four years?
  • Factoring complex equations. Know your rules! Exponent rules, PEMDAS, all that bread and butter.
Mechanical
For me, this was my toughest. I wasn't that confident with the mechanical portion, but I've learned from my first test, it's very conceptual. Very rarely did I even have to plug in values, or use math.

ANIT
I learned from my mistakes and studied nautical information, and aviation history. I got asked 5-9 nautical and/or aviation history questions. Like everyone suggest it, they will pull questions from everything, so make sure you know it all.
  • Parts of an airplane, ship. Each primary controls, what they serve. Ailerons, elevators, rudders.
  • Basic knowledge of the four fundamental forces.
  • How does an engine work.. intake, compression, combustion, exhaust
  • Recalling information... VASI, vsubx,vsuby, port/starboard lights, pitot
That's it for now. I'm still trembling at the scale of that exam, tbh. Feels good. Best of luck. I got MEPS next weekend, but I will continue to peek into this thread to help out anybody if needed. Good luck.

YeRok

Does anybody want to write/upload some solutions on how to do these? Also, are these considered too difficult for the exam? I know there will be some probability questions, but I've also read that they will be real softballs compared to any introductory, college-level statistics class. Thanks.

Attachments

• Probability with Combinatorics.pdf
    23.9 KB · Views: 77

Austin-AJA

Also a lurker here, posting as this thread was helpful to me in preparing for the test.

1st test
54 6/7/6

Started out using the various study guides posted here but wasn’t getting anywhere. So, not to be a shill but Kieno Thomas was immensely helpful, honestly without his help there is no doubt my score would have been 10 points lower. I am an active duty guy so I didn’t dedicate too much time to the test as I am working and still taking classes.

Math: As expected, basic DRT problems, exponents, order of operations, distances over various times making up the total distance, saw a few questions from theses forums here and not really anything I haven’t seen before except a few.

Reading: Just super boring and 2 are obvious wrong answers, just don’t infer anything from the article if it doesn’t directly state that then it’s most likely not correct.

Mechanical: Lever, springs, only a few required formulas, mostly concepts, acceleration, and a pulley question. This section felt pretty basic but there were a few that I hadn’t seen.

ANIT: Was asked about runway lights, VORTAC, what control surfaces do what, what jet was first in combat, what another name for a propellor is, what a bulkhead is. This section I believe went well it kicked me after only about 10 questions.

UAV: Averaged 2-3 seconds but a couple I got mixed up on and they took around 5 seconds, no wrong answers.

PBM: This was not gonna lie, much harder than I had anticipated. It certainly gets hectic but what I can say is that writing down which button to press when it was odd or even helped quite a bit. I also was not doing this correctly for about half of the test and still did decent. Just do not get discouraged, you will feel like you didn’t even get the crosshairs green for more than 1 second the entire time.

Overall, the study guides were helpful along with YouTube on basic physics. But math was my struggling point and Kieno was a lifesaver when it came to this. Even if it is just watching his live-streams and sending him questions. Just do not get discouraged during the test, it is designed to continually give you harder questions until you start to get them wrong so if they are getting difficult you are doing better than you think.

YeRok

Took ASTB today and got 57 5/5/5

Very disappointed b/c I didn't qualify for NFO. Really bombed the stick & throttle portion. I got a 5 for never playing video games so that isn't too bad. My recruiter said that within 30 days when I take it again I should pass with a 6 no problem... But if anybody has tips + tricks for all the aviation section, including flashcards, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm in the process w/my recruiter of getting everything for the "August board."

Didn't get any sleep b/c I was so nervous. Literally, zero sleep. Please get sleep. Wish I didn't psyche myself out so much. However. I took a freezing cold shower, drank a black coffee and didn't eat any breakfast except some saltines and a banana which was perfect for the exam. On the two hour ride up there I listened some essential classic f***ing rock which helped out a lot (the essentials: Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Heart, George Harrison, Deep Purple, Huey Lewis, Bowie). The OAR portion really wasn't that bad. It was the aviation stuff that really got me.

Math section: LOTS of geometry problems. I didn't prepare for any geometry so I got a tad screwed but overall, with my 57 I still think I did pretty good... idk... got a lot of fraction word problems, no averages, no DRT, no price inc./dec.. Oddly, most of what I spent most of my time on wasn't on the actual test. Hardly any arithmetic, mostly just weird math problems. So heads up, just study everything honestly. Got a binary question which was super easy. Know how to multiply integers with fractional exponents and know how to do a bunch of odd, radical-type questions.
For the math, there is no perfect study guide. I've done most every single one from all the textbooks and from most of all the famous google drives shared on here. Just do everything and study your ass off. Going in with confidence is the most important thing.

Reading section: boring af

Mech. section: got a lot of moment arm questions and tons of temperature based questions like if warm air/water is denser/lighter or will float/not float. There's like no math, it's all theoretical stuff. I have a background in engineering from statics to thermodynamics and there was some truly weird stuff that I totally forgot about and I didn't study for. Got like 3 spring questions and a circuit problem. Know some simple electrical component symbols.

ANIT: I have no words. There's some weird stuff in this section and stuff I had no way of knowing. Like the purpose of some obscure helicopter model to how to land in a cross wind. I guess it really helps if you have a PPL but I don't, obviously.

Personality section: IDK, ppl on here tell you to "think like a fighter pilot" which I think is bogus and kind of impossible. You can try to act like a leader in one question then totally oppose yourself two questions later. There's no way to score this section so I was just honest. Like hell yeah I care about my gas tank being full rather than helping out my colleagues on a project.

Stick & Throttle section: this was the WORST section for me. I don't play video games. I played when I was a child but realized they don't get you laid so I quit. This is a time I regret that decision. It really helps if you play first person shooter games in inverse where up is down and down is up. I actually think I did extremely well with the listening portion, though. I listen specifically to Phil Spector and play classical piano so the audio portion was cake for me. But when you added that stick & throttle I mostly just focused on the audio and blew the visual portion. Then the emergency procedures. Allah, that was a disaster. I really just wanted it to end every second I was playing the stupid game.
I also forgot about writing down the emergency procedures. Which I easily could've done because I was in a closed office space and they wouldn't have cared. Heck, they probably would have encouraged it just to get me to pass BY A POINT.

The UAV-parking lot section was a little difficult and different than the flashcard method usually presented on this website. It's at a slight angle so you have to prepare for the slight dimensional shift. I really sped my way through it and messed up more than I would have liked. Should've taken my time but I was so worried about being slow that I didn't check myself. Didn't use the paper compass trick b/c I felt like I didn't need it. Every time I broke it out I found myself throwing it aside.

Sorry for going on so long. Basically, study for everything and play video games in inverse. I have to go back in 30 days to do it again so I'm super frustrated but it's what has to be done. Thanks for the help to the community.

Reactions: O.B

gilan101

Pilot Wannabe
But if anybody has tips + tricks for all the aviation section, including flashcards, I'd be extremely grateful.

My resources for the Naval/ aviation section:

This flashcard set. https://www.cram.com/flashcards/astb-aviation-nautical-information-test-anit-comprehensive-4718163 Personally, the way I use the flashcards is by downloading the cram app for my phone and whenever I would get on to watch youtube, or use twitter or Reddit I study the flashcards instead.

I also would recommend the FAA pilots Handbook. It includes pretty much everything you could possibly need to know about general aviation and fixed-wing aircraft. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/

Attached are two PDF's about naval history which may be helpful to you.

Stick & Throttle section: this was the WORST section for me. I don't play video games.

1. The best way to practice for this would be to fly an actual plane, however, that may not be feasible fiscally or practically.

2. The best simulation of the test can be located here:

3. https://www.airwarriors.com/communi...d-measures-pbm-subtest-matlab-practice.43216/

4. However, you may not be able to get it running so your next best option is to play a flight simulator like Warthunder, IL2, DCS world, Falcon BMS.

5. Last but not least you could play a FPS game with inverted controls. You could download Aim lab from steam (Free) that you can practice with.

I hope this helps and good luck on your next test. :)

Attachments

• US Naval History Part 1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
  • US Naval History Part 2.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 47

O.B

Took ASTB today and got 57 5/5/5

Very disappointed b/c I didn't qualify for NFO. Really bombed the stick & throttle portion. I got a 5 for never playing video games so that isn't too bad. My recruiter said that within 30 days when I take it again I should pass with a 6 no problem... But if anybody has tips + tricks for all the aviation section, including flashcards, I'd be extremely grateful. I'm in the process w/my recruiter of getting everything for the "August board."

Didn't get any sleep b/c I was so nervous. Literally, zero sleep. Please get sleep. Wish I didn't psyche myself out so much. However. I took a freezing cold shower, drank a black coffee and didn't eat any breakfast except some saltines and a banana which was perfect for the exam. On the two hour ride up there I listened some essential classic f***ing rock which helped out a lot (the essentials: Steely Dan, Zeppelin, Heart, George Harrison, Deep Purple, Huey Lewis, Bowie). The OAR portion really wasn't that bad. It was the aviation stuff that really got me.

Math section: LOTS of geometry problems. I didn't prepare for any geometry so I got a tad screwed but overall, with my 57 I still think I did pretty good... idk... got a lot of fraction word problems, no averages, no DRT, no price inc./dec.. Oddly, most of what I spent most of my time on wasn't on the actual test. Hardly any arithmetic, mostly just weird math problems. So heads up, just study everything honestly. Got a binary question which was super easy. Know how to multiply integers with fractional exponents and know how to do a bunch of odd, radical-type questions.
For the math, there is no perfect study guide. I've done most every single one from all the textbooks and from most of all the famous google drives shared on here. Just do everything and study your ass off. Going in with confidence is the most important thing.

Reading section: boring af

Mech. section: got a lot of moment arm questions and tons of temperature based questions like if warm air/water is denser/lighter or will float/not float. There's like no math, it's all theoretical stuff. I have a background in engineering from statics to thermodynamics and there was some truly weird stuff that I totally forgot about and I didn't study for. Got like 3 spring questions and a circuit problem. Know some simple electrical component symbols.

ANIT: I have no words. There's some weird stuff in this section and stuff I had no way of knowing. Like the purpose of some obscure helicopter model to how to land in a cross wind. I guess it really helps if you have a PPL but I don't, obviously.

Personality section: IDK, ppl on here tell you to "think like a fighter pilot" which I think is bogus and kind of impossible. You can try to act like a leader in one question then totally oppose yourself two questions later. There's no way to score this section so I was just honest. Like hell yeah I care about my gas tank being full rather than helping out my colleagues on a project.

Stick & Throttle section: this was the WORST section for me. I don't play video games. I played when I was a child but realized they don't get you laid so I quit. This is a time I regret that decision. It really helps if you play first person shooter games in inverse where up is down and down is up. I actually think I did extremely well with the listening portion, though. I listen specifically to Phil Spector and play classical piano so the audio portion was cake for me. But when you added that stick & throttle I mostly just focused on the audio and blew the visual portion. Then the emergency procedures. Allah, that was a disaster. I really just wanted it to end every second I was playing the stupid game.
I also forgot about writing down the emergency procedures. Which I easily could've done because I was in a closed office space and they wouldn't have cared. Heck, they probably would have encouraged it just to get me to pass BY A POINT.

The UAV-parking lot section was a little difficult and different than the flashcard method usually presented on this website. It's at a slight angle so you have to prepare for the slight dimensional shift. I really sped my way through it and messed up more than I would have liked. Should've taken my time but I was so worried about being slow that I didn't check myself. Didn't use the paper compass trick b/c I felt like I didn't need it. Every time I broke it out I found myself throwing it aside.

Sorry for going on so long. Basically, study for everything and play video games in inverse. I have to go back in 30 days to do it again so I'm super frustrated but it's what has to be done. Thanks for the help to the community.
Mind sharing what kind of geometry questions you got?

YeRok

Mind sharing what kind of geometry questions you got?
I didn't know there was another equation to solve for area of triangle. There's two listed in the formula bar which can be helpful.

1. (I think this is the jist of how it went) For a right triangle, the Area is 24 and the height/base are the same (maybe?) I don't remember. But it asks for the area. I was really confused. There might have been a known integer and you had to figure out the unknown integer via one of the two equations given to then figure out the Perimeter.
  2. There was about 3 questions about sides of a rectangle being shrunk by 10% and stuff like that and finding new areas/perimeters via deriving the information given. One specifically was: (and this is also butchered) A rectangle's length is twice the width plus 2. The perimeter is 44 yards. What is the width in feet when subtracting 2 yards each from each length's side. (Again, that is butchered) but you have to be careful and read the information because they will trick you giving an answer in feet and another, likely answer in yards just to mess you up.
This happened twice where I had to check my answer and do the problem all over again because I thought I got the correct answer in feet, but it calls for it in yards. I check my value in yards, it's wrong; forcing myself to take another whack at the problem and going slower. I am then careful with my hand calcs and finally get the right answer.
Take your time with the math. Yes, if you spend more than, maybe 3-5 minutes on a moderately-difficult problem, guess and move on. Easy problems should take less than 1 or 2 minutes.
Again, I will be the first one to say I wasn't the most prepared, but both myself and the recruiter were surprised to see my 57 OAR.... Moral of the story is to enter the exam with confidence.

O.B

I didn't know there was another equation to solve for area of triangle. There's two listed in the formula bar which can be helpful.

1. (I think this is the jist of how it went) For a right triangle, the Area is 24 and the height/base are the same (maybe?) I don't remember. But it asks for the area. I was really confused. There might have been a known integer and you had to figure out the unknown integer via one of the two equations given to then figure out the Perimeter.
  2. There was about 3 questions about sides of a rectangle being shrunk by 10% and stuff like that and finding new areas/perimeters via deriving the information given. One specifically was: (and this is also butchered) A rectangle's length is twice the width plus 2. The perimeter is 44 yards. What is the width in feet when subtracting 2 yards each from each length's side. (Again, that is butchered) but you have to be careful and read the information because they will trick you giving an answer in feet and another, likely answer in yards just to mess you up.
This happened twice where I had to check my answer and do the problem all over again because I thought I got the correct answer in feet, but it calls for it in yards. I check my value in yards, it's wrong; forcing myself to take another whack at the problem and going slower. I am then careful with my hand calcs and finally get the right answer.
Take your time with the math. Yes, if you spend more than, maybe 3-5 minutes on a moderately-difficult problem, guess and move on. Easy problems should take less than 1 or 2 minutes.
Again, I will be the first one to say I wasn't the most prepared, but both myself and the recruiter were surprised to see my 57 OAR.... Moral of the story is to enter the exam with confidence.
Dude you're awesome. Your score is definitely higher than my previous two times. My geometry sucks so it is definitely worth spending a lot of time on it. Thanks a lot man.

YeRok

Dude you're awesome. Your score is definitely higher than my previous two times. My geometry sucks so it is definitely worth spending a lot of time on it. Thanks a lot man.
Thank you & no problem! I'm still unbelievably pissed I missed my FOFAR by a point! I feel like I got lucky with my first OAR attempt. It strangely almost felt like a softball compared to some horror stories I've heard. Hopefully I do as good the 2nd time as the 1st. I'm really not in the mood and quite frankly gassed out from weeks + months of studying endless aviation and arithmetic. My main focus for the second attempt will be geometry, solving tricky word problems with one unknown, going through Kyle's Google Drive a second time with a fine tooth comb, and of course buying a video game to practice in inverse. Hope all this helps. Remember, study everything.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you & no problem! I'm still unbelievably pissed I missed my FOFAR by a point! I feel like I got lucky with my first OAR attempt. It strangely almost felt like a softball compared to some horror stories I've heard. Hopefully I do as good the 2nd time as the 1st. I'm really not in the mood and quite frankly gassed out from weeks + months of studying endless aviation and arithmetic. My main focus for the second attempt will be geometry, solving tricky word problems with one unknown, going through Kyle's Google Drive a second time with a fine tooth comb, and of course buying a video game to practice in inverse. Hope all this helps. Remember, study everything.
take the time to study, if you don't think you are ready in 30 days then study more. A score of 6 is the minimum needed to apply so you should really be shooting for 8, if you need a "C" in a class to graduate do you shoot for a "C" or study to get an "A"?

Now if you study and the pretest show you are on track to get an 8 and then get a 6 at least you know you gave it a good shot.

O.B

I'm certain you will! Yea, going through Kyle's material rn and will take my last try in a month hopefully. I haven't scheduled my test yet. I feel you. I took a year off after every try due to work and flight training and that wasn't the best decision...I downloaded War Thunder and think it is going be a huge help. This is to train my muscle memory that forward is UP lol
Best of luck and I hope to hear your success story!