• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

OperationChungus

pilot

Attachments

• Air Warriors Study Material.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • ASTB Additional Study Material.pdf
    623.6 KB · Views: 83
  • astb math to know.pdf
    447.9 KB · Views: 112
  • astb study guide.pdf
    352.3 KB · Views: 76
  • ASTB-E UAV Practice (1).pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 52
  • ASTBgouge.pdf
    473.1 KB · Views: 84
  • ASTBmechanical.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 87
  • FAA HIGHLIGHTED.pdf
    981.6 KB · Views: 50
  • OAR_Study_Guide.pdf
    164.4 KB · Views: 78

Jmack2019

Hi Everyone! I am studying for the OAR test and I am currently working on mechanical practice tests. I was wondering if anyone knows and could explain to me why the answer is 48". The question is from the 2005 ASTB Practice test that can be found throughout this thread. I am just confused to how the answer key got the circumference of the wheel to be 24" from the diagram. Thank you so much everyone!

ajpurvis

Jarhead gone squid
Hi Everyone! I am studying for the OAR test and I am currently working on mechanical practice tests. I was wondering if anyone knows and could explain to me why the answer is 48". The question is from the 2005 ASTB Practice test that can be found throughout this thread. I am just confused to how the answer key got the circumference of the wheel to be 24" from the diagram. Thank you so much everyone!
View attachment 22454

It looks like they're pointing out that the diameter is 10" in the diagram.

Using the formula 2pir for circumference of a circle we get: 2(22/7)5 = 31.4"

One full rotation would displace each side by the circumference. This would result in a difference in 62.8"

I'd be willing to bet they mislabeled something because I just checked this with another MechE and they agree.

Jmack2019

It looks like they're pointing out that the diameter is 10" in the diagram.

Using the formula 2pir for circumference of a circle we get: 2(22/7)5 = 31.4"

One full rotation would displace each side by the circumference. This would result in a difference in 62.8"

I'd be willing to bet they mislabeled something because I just checked this with another MechE and they agree.
Thank you so much for pointing this out to me! I did not read carefully this time and/or my eye sight has worsen. From a distance the inches sign looked like a degree symbol. Thank you!

pcamp01

First timer here. Took the ASTB-E today for the first time and scored 46, 5, 7, 6. My goal is SNA so I hoped for better, but my recruiter recommended I apply because I meet the minimums. Hopefully my '7' for PFAR will work in my favor. I will be applying for the first board of the 'new' year once the dates are released. If I am not accepted, I'll retake and apply again.

I used 'Patrick's Study Guide' found in this thread, some additional Math study guides here, and the newest edition of the Barron's book to study.

A few notes:
  • I forgot to bring ear plugs; this was a mistake. Bring ear plugs even if you don't think you'll need them.
  • Guessing here, but I think the test quickly advances to the next question when you get a Correct answer, and takes a few seconds to 'think' when you get a Wrong answer. At least this was my experience.
  • I ran out of time on every section (Math, Reading and Mechanical... lol). I imagine this is partly reflected in my score.
  • Write everything down. I'm not repeating anything that hasn't been mentioned before here. Writing each pertinent detail down was crucial for me (Emergency Procedures, which controls were which, etc..)

Lastly, thank you to all who have shared their experiences here. It helped me greatly and surely many others.
Best of luck to each one of you on your journey.

OperationChungus

pilot
[*]I ran out of time on every section (Math, Reading and Mechanical... lol). I imagine this is partly reflected in my score.

I too ran out of time on most of the sections except for the mechanical portion and ANIT. Did you notice the questions getting harder or staying the same?

Beardog768

Hey all, just took the OAR/ASTB today and pleased to say I received a 76 OAR and 5/5/5 on ASTB portion which I am disappointed but it is what is. I studied for more than two months on this exam putting in 2 hours a day and I am also a non engineering major. I used mostly what was on this gouge to study and Barrons book, Momometrix, and Trivium.

Math- Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Fractional exponents, weighted averages, finding out which fraction is the smallest, and finding the height of a triangle if the base is 9 and the area is 36. Had a question on DRT where it gave you a person runs this fast in this amount of minutes and this fast in another set, what was his distance? I saw the find the square root of 216. I also saw a question where it asked, "If the circumference of a circle is 10Pie what is the area of the circle? Easy. got kicked out after 15 questions.

Reading- Wasn't as bad as everyone says it is, passages were actually pretty interesting and got kicked out with 5 minutes left.

Mechanics- Little bit harder than what I thought it would be like, Had a question that asked if the potentiometer is low, what does this mean on a light bulb? Had a question about Nitrous Oxide, Turbocharger, and Supercharger, question was on this gouge. If John turns up the stove temperature that has boiling water, what happens to the water? Stays the same. Had a question about Doppler effect and which train has higher pitch. I believe its the one coming towards you. Fulcrums. Had a picture of a ball going down a hill and asks if the balls acceleration is increasing, decreasing, and if the speed is increasing, decreasing.

ASTB- Pretty hard. The flight tracking part was chaotic, honestly though I got a 1,1,1 but surprised I got 5s. the throttle is super sensitive so don't push up too hard. the vertical tracking part Is hard, the plane was moving super fast.

I couldn't sleep the night before the test, I was pretty nervous so I couldn't sleep at all.
My advice to those who will take it soon, study hard, I started from page 200 of this gouge and downloaded every single document and wrote down every question. A little caveat tho for those who are writing down the questions, they can change small details of the question on the test and that will change the whole entire question so make sure you know how to different variations of the question. For example, I noticed a question on here that asked" A farmer has 2 1/2 ton of crop and donates 1/8 of it, how much did he donate?" The same question popped up but It asked how much did he have remaining?

Good luck to you all and feel free to ask me any questions.

OperationChungus

pilot
Reading- Wasn't as bad as everyone says it is, passages were actually pretty interesting and got kicked out with 5 minutes left.

I wish I would have gotten your reading passages! The ones I got were so dry and boring, I couldn't stand it. Pretty sure that's why my OAR wasn't that good.

To me, the throttle on the PBM portion was more 'acceleration adjustment' than it was 'velocity adjustment'. In other words, if the throttle target was at 50%, putting the throttle control at 50% power wouldn't put the pipper on target - it'll accelerate the pipper at 50% max acceleration. This all meant constant manipulation. If you can, try playing DCS F/A-18C and do the carrier landing tutorial with a joystick, you'll really get a hang of the constant throttle adjustment.

How'd you do on the UAV section? It's really easy to improve using the compass trick that's been linked to here quite a bit.

Beardog768

I wish I would have gotten your reading passages! The ones I got were so dry and boring, I couldn't stand it. Pretty sure that's why my OAR wasn't that good.

To me, the throttle on the PBM portion was more 'acceleration adjustment' than it was 'velocity adjustment'. In other words, if the throttle target was at 50%, putting the throttle control at 50% power wouldn't put the pipper on target - it'll accelerate the pipper at 50% max acceleration. This all meant constant manipulation. If you can, try playing DCS F/A-18C and do the carrier landing tutorial with a joystick, you'll really get a hang of the constant throttle adjustment.

How'd you do on the UAV section? It's really easy to improve using the compass trick that's been linked to here quite a bit.
UAV section was super easy.The video that someone posted on here from youtube was golden.

whatsup

Can someone help me with this question?

3 guys can do a job in 12 hours. If those same guys work for 4 hours, and then a new guy joins every hour after that how fast can they finish the job.

OperationChungus

pilot
Can someone help me with this question?

3 guys can do a job in 12 hours. If those same guys work for 4 hours, and then a new guy joins every hour after that how fast can they finish the job.

Each guy does 1/36 job/hour

I’m assuming the 4th guy joins at the 4th hour not the 5th.

In 4 hours, 3 guys do 4*3/36 job = 12/36 of the job. 24/36 of the job left

Then 4th guy joins, does 4/36 job in 1 hour. 5 hours passed and 20/36 of the job left

5th guy joins, now 5/36 job in 1 hour. 6 hours passed and 15/36 of job left

6th guy joins and does 6/36 job in 1 hour. 7 hours passed and 9/36 job left

7th guy joins and does 7/36 job in 1 hour. 8 hours passed and 2/36 job left

8th guy joins and can do 8/36 job in one hour. Since only 2/36 remains, they can do that in 1/4 hours, and 0/36 job left. 8.25 hours passed

O.B

Hey guys,
I'm studying the material posted here and came across these contradicting sample problems.
Anyone can shed some light on this?

Thanks