• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

1,001 questions about the ASTB (post your scores & ask your questions here!)

Navy Ship

I took the new version in December. I got 9/9/9/72. If you have any sort of math/science/physics/engineering background you will do fine on the test. I have an aerospace engineering degree and I only looked over the few practice questions from the NAMI site.

As for the throttle/joystick tracking, it was pretty difficult to follow directly. I think the icon was green maybe 25% of the time I was doing the exercise. I'm thinking they might not score that section as highly or weight it too much because I certainly didn't do exceptionally on it.

Did you read the FAA Pilot's Handbook? Do you think the questions on the Aviation / Nautical part of the new test were similar to the old?

jconnolly

Did you read the FAA Pilot's Handbook? Do you think the questions on the Aviation / Nautical part of the new test were similar to the old?
I did not read the handbook nor did I take the old exam. I didn't have too many aviation/nautical questions as far as I can remember. I took a class in undergrad where we learned a bit about flying a general aviation aircraft so knowing the terms, such as pressure altitude and density altitude etc., certainly helped.

schemme3

I am taking the OAR test this coming wednesday (1/29/2014) in Great Lakes, IL and I was wondering how much time we get on the math section of the exam. The reason I ask is that I see some sites say you get 25 minutes for 30 questions but the OAR study guide book I bought says I get 40 minutes for 30 questions. I am taking the OAR exam for getting into the CEC (Civil Engineer Corps) officer program.

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
I am taking the OAR test this coming wednesday (1/29/2014) in Great Lakes, IL and I was wondering how much time we get on the math section of the exam. The reason I ask is that I see some sites say you get 25 minutes for 30 questions but the OAR study guide book I bought says I get 40 minutes for 30 questions. I am taking the OAR exam for getting into the CEC (Civil Engineer Corps) officer program.

You will get 40 minutes for 30 questions, but as many recent test takers of the new ASTB-E Apex 4 have said, it is an adaptive test. So you may have to only answer questions anywhere from 12, 15, 20, etc. based on how you adapt to the difficultly of each question. Hope that helps.

V/r,

Sundown88

schemme3

Thank you for the answer. This site is really helpful for getting prepared for my part of the test. I went to Khan academy to brush my skills up on logarithmic problems and matrix problems. Khan academy is always helpful for math

shinegf

Hi Everybody, my name is Feng and I just took OAR this morning and got 63, I can only speak for OAR section of the test.

A little background of me, I have a Electrical Engineer major at UCLA and I work in Biomed field for the past 4 years. My GPA is about 3.35(not sure how exactly the GPA calculation do as I spend 2 years in UCLA with 3.1 GPA and 3 years in community college with 3.5 GPA) I am working on LOR with my former employer, colleague and Navy enlisted personnel E5.

Regards the test, I have been study on an off for two month with emphasize on last three weeks prior to the test period. The study material from this forum is extremely helpful, include study guide from previous testers, Peterson"s Master in Flight aptitude, Arco"s military flight aptitude, Barron"s study guide, ASTB gauge, nelnetsolutions website. My understanding for the study guide from previous tester is sufficient to get people started, and all the military study guide can be used as problems practice sections. To better understand the variety of the concept, I recommend people to go to nelnetsolutions websites to take the practice test, not only for the ASTB section but also for asvab and AFOQT practice test. Also, google ASTB flash card will help study as well even thought there are some mistakes on some of the problems. I also bought the study guide from amazon by Accepted Inc, and my comment for that is this book has some clear mistakes but in general it can be used for problem practicing. Finally I will recommend people to go back review the college algebra(integrated algebra) as well as college physics(conceptual, non calculus involved). I personally read all chapters in the Math books as well as most chapters in the physics books except relativity and light.

As most people are already aware, the new ASTB is adaptive on Math and English Sections. No definite number problems for math and I think there is an finite problems for English and Mechanical Section of the test since I got advanced before time is up if I remember correctly.

The math sections are harder than the study guides, my part includes probability(not just single selection from drawing but include problems with the concept of selections with replacement and without replacement, also the application use of binomial probability principle N!/(N-r)!), complex log and exponential questions which are exactly the same question Notorious Nate has, perfect numbers, problems such as given a polynomial equation indicate it results an even integer and ask whether another factor form of equations are even or odd, complex word problems include multiple steps calculations(usually one of two steps more calculation required than the study guide problem and it's phrase are confusing), trigonometry problems such as giving a radius that embrace a hexagon and ask for the hexagon area. I did over 20 questions and believe close to 25 question using the whole 40 min of time.

The English section is definitely college level reading. I did this section relatively poorly as I got several easy questions after I got the previous question wrong. It's military, history, science, politics involved mostly and I believe there are about 20 questions total as somehow I managed to finished before the clock(I constantly look at the timer). I am a non native speaker but I think I have decent reading and comprehension skills. For this section I can only recommend to study the SAT and GRE if you really want to be good at it.

Mechanical section is relatively easy, but it does includes some intermediate problems such as string attached to pulley, elastic energy for the string, gas pressures and thermal conductivity, angular velocity and angular momentum, as well as some fundamental concepts for electricity, projectile motion, leverage, mechanical advantage, and fluid dynamics on my test. It is definitely less than 30 questions total as I finished before the time is up. This part I study the most and I would recommend to study the physics book thoroughly as the study guide mostly just reveals the results without telling the physics concept behind it.

With my feedback above I do have some questions regards my application and the process, hope the experts here can help me out :). Greatly appreciate your time and effort.

I am looking to apply intel/IW/IP. As the recruiter told me that since my parents doesn't have citizenship certification the chance for a Chinese to get into Intel/IW/Ip is really slim as they will do extensive background check on me and surrounding individuals(I do have clean background). I am wondering is this true and what are the chance for me to advance to intelligence field? Or the SWO - IW path is more suitable for me even though the updates info for SWO FY14 is full?

I have read from Navy OCS section of the forum that it requires a Motivational statement but I did not see such requirement on the checklist. Is the motivational statement only for people are going from enlisted or it applies to regular civilian applicants as well?

My recruiter has told me that the board information for officer is constantly changing, I am not so clear where to find the exact board information for different field such as intelligence/general officer/supply/SWO. I would like to put down my priority of choices according to the board date, has anyone has such information handy?

Again thanks so much for the help from this forum and hopeful I contribute my understanding and experiences for the upcoming candidate.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I have read from Navy OCS section of the forum that it requires a Motivational statement but I did not see such requirement on the checklist. Is the motivational statement only for people are going from enlisted or it applies to regular civilian applicants as well?
It's part of the application packet (#16, if I recall correctly), and it's required for all applicants.

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofBattle777

I have taken the old test twice and the new test once. My most recent score was 6/6/7/ 54 which is good but considering the program I'm applying for I'll need 7's and 8's to be competitive. Near the end I got sloppy and failed to read all the directions for part of the joystick portion so I definitely missed this section. I was exhausted and felt like I had done terrible thus far on the test. So don't get upset, because the test is hard, much harder than the older one. Clearly my scores show that its all relative and meant to be difficult (well at least I know this to be true anyway). I felt like the reading section was confusing and I wasn't too sure what they were looking for with some of the answer choices. I spent a lot of time re-reading the paragraphs. I think some of this was due to lack of sleep, but regardless take your time with these and definitely get your 8 hours the night before. It'll pay off.

Having Trouble with this one log question from my sample questions provided by my OSO.

Which statement is equivalent to 2 + 2logx – 3/2 log y?

Of the Answer choices it claims that log (100 x2/y 3/2). but each time I do it i get 2 + log( xsquared / y to the 3/2 power)

I apologize for the unreadable solutions, hard to do without copy and paste working.

Tyler Houston

Not that new of a member
USMCmorrison
You're knocking on the door of the answer. You already know all the log rules as shown by what you think the answer is.
They moved the 2 into the log function. What's log(100) = ? It's 2. So log(100) + log [x^2 / y^(3/2)] is equivalent to the answer they gave by moving the 100 into the main logarithm.

Hope that helps explain it.

Just took the new version. Scores a 54 and 6/6/6. Kinda disappointed with my scores but didnt have a whole lot of time to study. I definitely feel like I could pull them up. I had a 3.9 GPA with a business management degree. Would you recommend taking it again in 90 days?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just took the new version. Scores a 54 and 6/6/6. Kinda disappointed with my scores but didnt have a whole lot of time to study. I definitely feel like I could pull them up. I had a 3.9 GPA with a business management degree. Would you recommend taking it again in 90 days?
The "I didn't take/have enough study time" theme is common when citing low test numbers, 'nuf said. Yes, for aviation (SNA/SNFO), I would retake in 90 days, think you'll need more than 'trip 6s' to compete, unless your GPA & the rest of your package is at or close to 4.0!;)
BzB,

The "I didn't take/have enough study time" theme is common when citing low test numbers, 'nuf said. Yes, for aviation (SNA/SNFO), I would retake in 90 days, think you'll need more than 'trip 6s' to compete, unless your GPA & the rest of your package is at or close to 4.0!;)
BzB,

Not making excuses, just wasn't quite prepared enough. I'm sure I can improve my scores.

Que3n

pilot
Gentlemen,

Seeking a bit of advice, I took the APEX 4 version of the ASTB last week and scored 59/8/8/8 - I did this with zero preparation. I am changing my OCS package from SEAL (unsuccessful FY2013 attempt) to SNA and am told this process can take a few months. Question is: Should I purchase one of the many cited study guides and retake the ASTB after 90 days in hopes of doing better or should I take my current scores to the board as soon as I have the rest of my package prepared?

Thanks in advance,
TJ