• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS 02Nov20 SNA/SNFO (Pilot/NFO) Board

Mode

It worked for me several times, when I was recruiting enlisted I was pulled over when I first started, the guy let me off and later showed up in my office, he would stop and hang out at our office and say hi frequently, I think he was prior AF

Then there are guys like the one that pulled me over for not coming to a complete stop, he came back with a ticket and I made a comment that I kind of hoping for a warning, he said if he takes the time to pull someone over he always gives a ticket, to me that seems like a guy on a power trip.
I work for a major law enforcement agency in California. I work patrol and due to our call load, I don’t do much traffic enforcement. However I know guys that work traffic divisions that will always write a ticket on a traffic stop. The thought is that you are treating everyone equally and when the inevitable biased policing complaint comes around (eg. you only stopped me and wrote me a ticket because x,y,z), you can show that you are consistent and not treating any particular group of people differently.

Not to mention that at least where I work, every traffic stop has been recorded either by in car video or body worn video for the past 20 years. When people hand over stuff like military IDs, police IDs, city employee IDs, or any other type of ID with hopes of persuading the officer to give them a break, it puts that officer in a bad position. Internal affairs regularly audits video of traffic stops. If there is any impression that you may be giving breaks to someone based on their government affiliation etc, you can stand by... For a lot of guys, it’s not worth risking their career for something like that.

NobleJ

SNA
You got it! The lack of info I can find on it now is frustrating, so I’ll do my best to keep everybody posted.
Have you found anything about parking your car at OCS? Is it even worth it for folks more distant that you to Newort to even bring a car because of COVID?

exNavyOffRec

I work for a major law enforcement agency in California. I work patrol and due to our call load, I don’t do much traffic enforcement. However I know guys that work traffic divisions that will always write a ticket on a traffic stop. The thought is that you are treating everyone equally and when the inevitable biased policing complaint comes around (eg. you only stopped me and wrote me a ticket because x,y,z), you can show that you are consistent and not treating any particular group of people differently.

Not to mention that at least where I work, every traffic stop has been recorded either by in car video or body worn video for the past 20 years. When people hand over stuff like military IDs, police IDs, city employee IDs, or any other type of ID with hopes of persuading the officer to give them a break, it puts that officer in a bad position. Internal affairs regularly audits video of traffic stops. If there is any impression that you may be giving breaks to someone based on their government affiliation etc, you can stand by... For a lot of guys, it’s not worth risking their career for something like that.

I have told what happened to many friends of mine in LE at local city up to state level and they all said the same thing, if he really has that policy he is kind of a dick, they all have different views, some will always write if they pull someone over a person that is over X MPH, some only write warnings for equipment issues, etc.... but none had a policy of always writing every person they pulled over.

Mode

I have told what happened to many friends of mine in LE at local city up to state level and they all said the same thing, if he really has that policy he is kind of a dick, they all have different views, some will always write if they pull someone over a person that is over X MPH, some only write warnings for equipment issues, etc.... but none had a policy of always writing every person they pulled over.
Just trying to give some insight regarding the topic as I know a number of officers that do not write warnings and it has nothing to do with them being a "dick" or having a "power trip".

Either way, giving someone a warning vs ticket based on what they do for work, especially if government affiliated, is illegal (14th amendment) and can result in disciplinary action for that officer. Some agencies, such as mine, take this far more seriously than others. Point is, if you show a government ID to a police officer on a traffic stop and he gives you a warning, good for you. If not, that officer may just be going by the book and trying to protect themselves from a complaint of misconduct. Or, yes, of course there is always a possibility that they could just be a dick.

Anyway, I don't mean to redirect the thread. Just trying to shed some light on the topic ?

oadams2

Don’t mean to interrupt, but just to reply from earlier...
Have you found anything about parking your car at OCS? Is it even worth it for folks more distant that you to Newort to even bring a car because of COVID?
I personally prefer traveling light, and I highly doubt we’ll get to use our cars while there’s still a mandatory ROM. If I lived far from the base, I’d probably fly and forget the car right now.

Pre-covid it would probably be a different story, but Newport isn’t that big a town. The base is a short drive/long walk up the street from the restaurants and stuff. I guess it depends whether you care to store snacks and stuff in it like other threads have suggested. (I probably won’t.)

NobleJ

SNA
Don’t mean to interrupt, but just to reply from earlier...

I personally prefer traveling light, and I highly doubt we’ll get to use our cars while there’s still a mandatory ROM. If I lived far from the base, I’d probably fly and forget the car right now.

Pre-covid it would probably be a different story, but Newport isn’t that big a town. The base is a short drive/long walk up the street from the restaurants and stuff. I guess it depends whether you care to store snacks and stuff in it like other threads have suggested. (I probably won’t.)
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I do wonder if the two locked drawers are still a thing, and we can keep some helpful items locked up in there. Bringing a car for that purpose seems a bit too much.

imburke

Anyone else hear from their OR that spots were opening up? Mine texted me today to ask if I wanted to stick around for Christmas and then told me he could roll me into the late January class when I said I’d want to stay. I’m not age critical or anything so I thought it was odd that I’d be moved up that soon unless they’ve brought classes back up to full capacity. Excited to get started either way just a little sad I can’t finish out the ski season haha

Coriolanus

Pro-Rec SNA
Anyone else hear from their OR that spots were opening up? Mine texted me today to ask if I wanted to stick around for Christmas and then told me he could roll me into the late January class when I said I’d want to stay. I’m not age critical or anything so I thought it was odd that I’d be moved up that soon unless they’ve brought classes back up to full capacity. Excited to get started either way just a little sad I can’t finish out the ski season haha
Nothing yet but I am hoping /assuming the later dates are just the Navy making max preparation in case classes have to stay small or just easing the pipeline.

so of things get even slightly better I think it’s safe to assume dates and spots will start opening up. That’s why I’m preparing now as if I’m leaving in only a month.

xcrunner18

Yeah mine texted me asking if I wanted to be put on a list to go sooner, but doesn't have a date yet. She said it could be within the next couple weeks which would be awesome but terrifying!