• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

02AUG2021 Pilot/NFO Board

luckynumbr27

I worked around the fighter community when I was AD. It would be very hard to not include it on my list if I scored high enough to qualify just out of childhood emotions, but I know deep in my heart that maritime is the way. I have friends that fly E-6s and P-8s and hearing about their worst days in that community sound infinitely better than the best days I saw in the Persian gulf on a flat top launching fighters. Best kept secret in the Navy.

BDavis11

Contributor
I worked around the fighter community when I was AD. It would be very hard to not include it on my list if I scored high enough to qualify just out of childhood emotions, but I know deep in my heart that maritime is the way. I have friends that fly E-6s and P-8s and hearing about their worst days in that community sound infinitely better than the best days I saw in the Persian gulf on a flat top launching fighters. Best kept secret in the Navy.
Definitely

Busey96

I'm gunning for jets but obviously that's tough, truly will be happy in anything though. Hard not to love jets when you've lived around them for the majority of your life.

Jvilla96

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m in ATC over in Fallon and I’ll tell you right now watching jets from a control tower is by far one of the coolest things. BUT I’m definitely not opposed to flying a helo and conducting SAR missions if that option is available. Fingers crossed gents ??

kotn

Danpf

RSPaviator

Very Curious, what makes the platform so much better? Types of missions? Lifestyle? I do not have any military experience, so I am trying to get an inside look whenever possible!

Last edited:

RSPaviator

Crazy to think that the board is probably over and the results have been decided, we just have to wait a couple weeks to find out?
I have been thinking that literally at least once per minute for the last few hours... I'm sticking with "I don't care how long it takes to post the results as long as I am on that damn list"

It'll be interesting to possibly end up meeting some of you guys who are posting on here eventually!

luckynumbr27

Very Curious, what makes the platform doo much better? Types of missions? Lifestyle? I do not have any military experience, so I am trying to get an inside look whenever possible!
It’s definitely the lifestyle. Fighters mission set is hands down the sexiest and would be the most fun, but you cannot beat the maritime lifestyle. Every fighter guy that I knew looked like they were getting worked to death whether they were on deployment or back at the beach, yet somehow all that work doesn’t translate to very many flight hours (which you must have to get a commercial gig) which is a very attractive option to have in your back pocket if you reach your 10 year obligation mark and decide you want to go make the big bucks with your skill set.

Its impossible to accurately convey to someone who hasn’t experienced it, but being on the boat sucks. Like MAJORLY sucks. The nature of the fighter platform is you will spend a large amount of your time on the boat for 8+ months at a time. It really wears you down. Those P-8 boys were staying in 5 star hotels in Europe making bonkers per diem the whole time and face timing their families every night while we were out in the gulf sleeping in coffin racks and sweating our nuts off paying $20 for a 45 minute phone card to call home once a week. E-6 is similar but the “deployments” are 90 days max, you don’t even leave the US, stay in the aforementioned Gucci hotels and rack up as many flight hours in a single tour as some fighter guys get in a whole 10 year obligation. I guess it all comes down to what your personal priorities are.

flywashoe

Well shit, as someone who wants to fly the P-8 I was hoping you all will say jets. May the best fly maritime I guess

CaptMorgan

It’s definitely the lifestyle. Fighters mission set is hands down the sexiest and would be the most fun, but you cannot beat the maritime lifestyle. Every fighter guy that I knew looked like they were getting worked to death whether they were on deployment or back at the beach, yet somehow all that work doesn’t translate to very many flight hours (which you must have to get a commercial gig) which is a very attractive option to have in your back pocket if you reach your 10 year obligation mark and decide you want to go make the big bucks with your skill set.

Its impossible to accurately convey to someone who hasn’t experienced it, but being on the boat sucks. Like MAJORLY sucks. The nature of the fighter platform is you will spend a large amount of your time on the boat for 8+ months at a time. It really wears you down. Those P-8 boys were staying in 5 star hotels in Europe making bonkers per diem the whole time and face timing their families every night while we were out in the gulf sleeping in coffin racks and sweating our nuts off paying $20 for a 45 minute phone card to call home once a week. E-6 is similar but the “deployments” are 90 days max, you don’t even leave the US, stay in the aforementioned Gucci hotels and rack up as many flight hours in a single tour as some fighter guys get in a whole 10 year obligation. I guess it all comes down to what your personal priorities are.
It'll also be interesting to see what the lifestyle is like for 22 guys since it's replacing the C2. I know the Navy wants to make it more "operational" then just a COD role but who knows.