• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF Enlisted Pilots, The Right Stuff, Stolen Bikes, AIC, and SWO pipe dreams.

robav8r

None
Contributor
If you're up against a group of J-11s, would you rather be controlled by N7's resident OS AIC or by the run-of-the-mill E-2 guy?
What do you mean by: "run of the mill?" I've known more than my share of Hummer NFO's and they collectively had their shit together pretty well . . . .

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
What do you mean by: "run of the mill?" I've known more than my share of Hummer NFO's and they collectively had their shit together pretty well . . . .
Warning Warning . . . incoming butthurt, away the safe space transporter away . . . provide from care bear 5. . .

Seriously is run of the mill that hard of a concept to understand? How about the "average" E-2 NFO, does that offend you as well?

robav8r

None
Contributor
*sigh*
Fellas, not butt hurt at all. If anyone here is butt hurt, it certainly appears those defending the OS AIC's are. Lots and lots of experience with CRUDES AIC's in my time. I'll take the E-2 NFO's. Sorry if that offends you . . . . .

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So, if you are a warrant officer or enlisted without a degree, but you play video games or a musical instrument, know how to ride a bike (stolen or purchased), you should apply for a flying program because you will be pushed to the front of the line to run an AOC. Does that sum it up?

Edit: I forgot sports.
Which program did Admiral Greer come through and what was his NSS? (He's got gold wings...)

And we haven't talked about the price of tea in China yet.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
To my point though, I doubt the difference is a college degree. If you're up against a group of J-11s, would you rather be controlled by N7's resident OS AIC or by the run-of-the-mill E-2 guy?

Absolutely the former. My experience seems to the be exception in the VFA community, but I've worked with a handful of OS controllers who were VASTLY superior to any E-2 types I've ever come across. One of them did happen to be a multi-tour N7 instructor and the others were mostly people he trained though.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Absolutely the former. My experience seems to the be exception in the VFA community, but I've worked with a handful of OS controllers who were VASTLY superior to any E-2 types I've ever come across. One of them did happen to be a multi-tour N7 instructor and the others were mostly people he trained though.

On the flip side of that, I've had a conversation with a CRUDES OS that went something like this:

"Mike, Rage 11, picture."
"Mike, say again?"
"Mike, picture"
"Rage 11... Mike... what was it you were you looking for sir?"

The rest of the flight went about as well as you can imagine.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On the flip side of that, I've had a conversation with a CRUDES OS that went something like this:
Yeah, and another anecdote at that end of the "competency spectrum," was one of our CRUDES OS telling the TAO that a light civil airplane wasn't responding to his hails on 121.5. Only problem was he was also talking to the TAO on 121.5 instead of the internal circuit for CIC, oops. There were other foibles too...