• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Women in the Marine Corps. Lowering Standards.

What ever happened to arcane methods of learning like opening a book, reading it, then memorizing what you need to know.

I don't know. Everyone has different study habits, and I think that by the time you leave college you should know what works for you. Starting early in API and through primary instructors continually pushed us to study in groups. That was great for trading gouge and lessons learned, but not everyone needs to be partnered up to actually study. Apparently some people do need that though, and thus the push by instructors.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Starting early in API and through primary instructors continually pushed us to study in groups. That was great for trading gouge and lessons learned, but not everyone needs to be partnered up to actually study. Apparently some people do need that though, and thus the push by instructors.
Because group study has been shown to be more effective than just solo studying when employed properly, ie groups of people with similar LOK/abilities, you review the material alone beforehand, you don't spend the a bunch of time shooting the breeze, etc. because vocalizing the material helps people understand and retain it.

On the other hand, doing production work in a group where you are not trying to maximize creativity is generally less efficient than simply dividing out tasks to single people. Can somewhat be circumvented by assigning a group leader, but really it just goes back to only assigning group tasks when working in a group would actually be beneficial to the goal of the task. Also, the fact that no one person will be recognized for going above and beyond can be detrimental to some members' motivation.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If I remember correctly, that "national treasure" ultimately got winged, in the finest tradition of "pass the trash" that we kidded about down there, but didn't actually follow, EXCEPT in very specific instances. I won't delve into how that SNA turned out in the Fleet, but I have very reliable sources...

Concur: diversity is the mission....well, right after SAPR...

I don't hate the players, but I do hate the game...

If this "national treasure" is the one I know, the fleet squadron ran the clock down on the dealine to qualify them PPC before arranging a backdoor agreement with PERS to get them redesignated to a different community where their talents would be better suited to the Navy (They spoke many languages... they were just dangerous when they flew) and they could avoid boards. There was significant talk of qualifying the individual but not letting them ever sign for a plane, which is typical in the VP community to avoid scrutiny of squadron and community training, but a few rocky altitude and course deviations where the individual attempted to follow in the footsteps of Shane Osborn ended those discussions. There was a sense of surprise that the front office worked to get the subject individual out of the aircraft and aviaiton and many sighs of relieve in the squadron.

The diversity production game is alive and well in Naval Aviation, CNATRA wise and in the fleet.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
footsteps of Shane Osborn

I take it said individual wasn't "born to fly?" I never understood the "made PPC but will never sign" attitude. That is the stupidest thing ever. You don't designate someone as aircraft commander unless they are capable of all the duties thereof.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I take it said individual wasn't "born to fly?" I never understood the "made PPC but will never sign" attitude. That is the stupidest thing ever. You don't designate someone as aircraft commander unless they are capable of all the duties thereof.
I'm sure it happens more often than the Navy would like to admit.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Oh I know of several examples sadly and each time I had the same opinions.

BigRed389

None
I hear tell it's also common in the SWO Community…the "Goodbye Kiss OOD Qual". But all of my info is purely anecdotal…no personal experience, obviously.

Yeah...I've seen it. I've also seen CO's do the right thing, so YMMV.

Trend was towards the latter more recently than the former, or so waterfront RUMINT went. But we collectively also had WAY too many Ensigns at that point. Easy to cut people loose when you have so many that you have to make up shit for them to do.