• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Which watch?

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
This is a real place? Did they have paint brushes and radium? I'm very amused right now.

Yeppers…it’s a real place…just west of Cincinnati, OH…it’s the HQ for the AWCI which is the certifying entity for certified watchmakers [CW21] and certified master watchmakers [CMW21] in the U.S. What our daughter and I did was take the AWCI build-a-watch course which is basically like taking a discovery flight to see if you want to pursue a PPL and beyond. Needless to say, I realized pretty quickly that I’m not cut out to be watchmaker…and to NOT fuck with mechanical watch(es) unless you know what you’re doing.

During the 3 day build-a-watch course in 2018, our class of 12 disassembled, cleaned, oiled, reassembled, and adjusted mechanical 17j ETA 6497-1 movements and recased them…followed by pressure testing them. All tools and instruments were provided. We had the choice of whether or not to purchase the watch that we were working on…11 of the 12 students purchased their watch [an additional $300 per watch] which our daughter and I did. The course itself was $600 per student…so if you purchased the watch that you built, it was $900 total per student. Also, the class was taught by 2 CW21s and 1 CMW21. NOTE: “21” references the 21st century.

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Hah that sounds pretty interesting and random. Cool activity to do together

Yeppers…it was pretty cool going through the build-a-watch course together. There were, however, several occasions where Hannah had to intervene and tell me to stop dropping f-bombs…she was fairly embarrassed regarding my behavior and I don’t blame her…I have anger mis-management issues which I continue to work on.

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Yeppers…it was pretty cool going through the build-a-watch course together. There were, however, several occasions where Hannah had to intervene and tell me to stop dropping f-bombs…she was fairly embarrassed regarding my behavior and I don’t blame her…I have anger mis-management issues which I continue to work on.
If she is anything like my daughters the phrases "Dad behave" and "Please don't encourage him" must be familiar.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Are those desks super high, or are you kneeling on the floor?

The desks [in watchmaker speak they’re called “the bench”] are very high. We sit in regular office type chairs but the entire bench moves up or down regarding adjustment for each individual. From what I experienced, the reason they are high is so that you don’t have to bend over [with the neck and back] when viewing things up close…and so that you can easily rest on your forearms while doing work…resting on the forearms creates a stable platform for the hands.

Below are some pics of our daughter, Hannah, at the bench at the AWCI build-a-watch school…

BE207EB4-0653-406B-860E-294A9F778697.jpeg

4521EFEF-8F43-40A2-BCF3-7066AD46F86D.jpeg

E208BED3-B913-4709-A6C7-266806F3A995.jpeg

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
So how’s the watch holding up?

Fabulously! It’s been almost 5 years since I built it and it’s keeping time fairly well…about +5 seconds per 24 hours. After I built it, I had to adjust the regulator a few times to get the time keeping better.

Pics from inside the car wash today…the car wash that I go to has 1977 era disco lights…

E04B609E-7DD7-4EA3-B154-E96F8BB8D3A2.jpeg

…and as a result of asking all sorts of ridiculous operational/logistical questions about the car wash and how it works, the manager gave me a tour today…pictured below is the brain of the car wash…notice that it’s quite a bit bigger than the mad dog action figure’s brain…

8F1D776C-9103-48E1-91CD-96BA2DF8E484.jpeg

Last edited:

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Pretty cool.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Fabulously! It’s been almost 5 years since I built it and it’s keeping time fairly well…about +5 seconds per 24 hours. After I built it, I had to adjust the regulator a few times to get the time keeping better.

Pics from inside the car wash today…the car wash that I go to has 1977 era disco lights…

View attachment 37301

…and as a result of asking all sorts of ridiculous operational/logistical questions about the car wash and how it works, the manager gave me a tour today…pictured below is the brain of the car wash…notice that it’s quite a bit bigger than the mad dog action figure’s brain…

View attachment 37302
Did you ask the manger to take this pic??

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Did you ask the manger to take this pic??

Dang…you’re smart…yes, I asked the manager [John] to take the pic…and he did it. Also, I used my Apple Crayon to block out the chaos in the pic…below is a pic that shows the chaos…

C4A4328A-5D04-443C-8CCB-101E2F583759.jpeg