• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whats everybodies Opion?-Where to go to Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBayDog

lance2 said:
you enjoyed yourselves---Thats the main idea anyway right!

Whoa! Easy there killer. Didn't say anything about enjoying ourselves. Not while on the Navy's clock. It's all about TRAINING! Hoo-yah, Master Chief! :D

Plus, "fun" is a very relative word when talking about the areas designated for SNA/SNFO training.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Corpus is a crap place to live, but the course rules are easier, so I hear. As far as moving the family/spouse, we did it...it was tough but doable. I had 4 days to straighten things out before starting up. I also hear that Corpus pattern is much busier (because we only have 2 outlying fields to bounce) so you're used to the busier radio comms. At Waldron, when you get 6 planes in the pattern, it's very important to keep your SA up.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Corpus of course..much better than this place called Milton or even Florida. Especially if you get 28 if you get 27 life might suck a small bit more.

KBayDog said:
7. Hate Texas and everybody from Texas.

hey now! give me back my pubs!!!! :icon_wink

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
corpus: real approaches all the time talking to real ATC, have come in at mins numerous times. fam course rules are cake. (hit the beach, hook a left/right). parallel runway ops.

whiting: mile high approaches talking to your IP "ATC". intersection runway ops.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
just to throw this out there (only becuase I have seen this in a few posts on this thread), DO NOT let something trivial like course rules be a deciding factor. yes you may master corpus course rules 1 entire flight sooner than whiting. If course rules are that big of a problem, well you know.

NavyOCS

I am from corpus christi. So for me its primary where I went to college with all my college
buds vs. P'cola. I am thinking the latter would be my best bet.

beau

Corpus...=less of a commute to town..(SPID).....Pensacola....takes forever to get anywhere. Pensacola has the beach.....handsdown. Corpus nightlife is not too bad....eventually you will see everyone who goes out though...seemingly....everyone goes to he same places......True for Pensacola too.

I had a great time in Corpus...the flying was awesome. if you can talk to ATC or shoot real approaches at whiting, then I would definitly go to Corpus IMHO. Seems like crap training to me!

KBayDog

I am nowhere near finishing Primary. In fact, I am almost about to START Primary at NASWF. Hence why I direct this question to those who have been away from WF/CC for a while, and have had the chance to work with SNAs from both wings:

I sense this is akin to the old debate of which Depot turns out the better Marine - Parris Island or San Diego. Each Depot has its own nuances that seem big to a PFC who just graduated...PI has the extreme heat/extreme cold, the sand fleas, no hills, lots of isolation. SD has great weather, no sand fleas, lots of hills, it's in the middle of the frickin' city, has the airport, etc.

Despite these differences, they turn out the exact same product by using the exact same syllabus and standards: a basically-trained Marine. After a few weeks/months in the Corps, you cannot tell what Marine went to what Depot - they are all the same.

Is that the case here? Aside from the subtle nuances regarding course rules, ATC, etc., the syllabus is the same, the standards are the same, the aircraft is the same, etc. Is the finished product the same? Is there a difference between flying styles, competency, etc. for two SNAs recently out of the different Primary locations? What about a few weeks/months into intermediate/advanced? What about the Fleet?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Corpus guys will fly over water on just about every flight. I hear the Whiting studs fly over land mostly.

Other than that, the main difference between Corpus and Whiting is that in Corpus it would help to speak a little Spanish and in Milton it would help to speak a little 'Neck.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
This is a minor thing but p-3 guys must train here, E2/C2 guys must train here and half of the Jet studs train a stones throw from here. So if you are not averse to one more move.... go for it. Chances are you might end up here anyway. You will get familiar with the aera, familiar with alot of the approaches (the valley, san antonio, alice) and it will one less thing to worry about if you do end up here for advanced.

Big picture...it really does not matter, just a few things to think about.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Disclaimer: I realize the original question was: "Primary" ... so if you don't want to read this, delete me...

But you guys crack me up ..... "B-I-T-D(ay)" .... everyone went the same place, according to community/pipeline. Until Texas ---- and then the only "choice" was Kingsville or Beeville for "Advanced Jets". And the choice usually boiled down to "which do like better --- sh!tttt or pizzzzzzz in the face "??? I.e., Kingsville or Beeville?? Same difference....

And thennnnnnnn ..... they brought in the sexy (can I say that here?) TA4 and of course, everyone wanted to fly that .... but it was Kingsville-based, only. Chase field still had the F9 and while it was reliable and built like a truck, it was OLD and definitely not sexy compared to the Scooter. So initially, if you wanted to fly the TA4, it was basic jet grades and CQ -- as to whether or not you were going to get "s" or "p" in the face. ("They" thought the TA4 was too "hot" for the slugs in the class)

But whennnnnnnn ...... they found out after a few ejections that there was a "sitting height" problem in the TA4 ... i.e., you had to be a certain height to function properly with the EscapePac seat of the period --- should that be the hand that was dealt to you on any given day.

And soooooooo...... witness the spectacle of Student Naval Aviators, STUDs all, our Nation's finest ---stuffing newpaper and magazine clippings into their shorts to sit "higher" while taking the "sitting height" test @ NAMI. Some guys even hung from the chin-up bar for hours @ the gym --- in hopes of "lengthening". I kid you not ....

BTW---- when/where/why in the heck did this "SNA/SNFO" stuff all come about??? The only time "we" were ever called that was on paper --buried with our records in CNATRA. SNA/SNFO: Sounds like something in my Kleenex.

Let me ask: Would you rather be called a SNA/SNFO or a "STUD"??? You be the judge on that one ......

:)) :) smiles .... and remember to sit up straight )

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
/threadjack with A4
The real BS was when CNATRA started to try and call them SNP/SNFO since SNA should apply to both. A naval pilot? Sounds like someone guiding the tug boat in the harbor.

end threadjack/

KBayDog

kmac said:
/threadjack with A4
The real BS was when CNATRA started to try and call them SNP/SNFO since SNA should apply to both. A naval pilot? Sounds like someone guiding the tug boat in the harbor.

end threadjack/

Naval pilot = LCAC driver.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
When I was in Primary (Corpus) they were trying to push SMA (Student Miliary Aviator) because of the AF presence. How gay does that sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.