• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Whats everybodies Opion?-Where to go to Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pags

N/A
pilot
ENSsquid said:
whiting: mile high approaches talking to your IP "ATC". intersection runway ops.

You can fly real approaches at Whiting every time you fly if you ask for them. I had one day of kiddy plates, and then the rest was the real thing, at my request.

If you can't learn whiting course rules, you're an idiot and have no right being in a airplane.

And as far as the town of Milton being a suckhole, well, just go and live in Pensacola. I live 5min from the bars and its a 40min commute, which is only a few minutes longer than my friends from NAS Governors Gate.

I enjoyed my north field time, and now that I'm going to South field, I don't have to find new bars.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
E5B said:
When I was in Primary (Corpus) they were trying to push SMA (Student Miliary Aviator) because of the AF presence. How gay does that sound?

They still use the SMA every know and then. Some IPs put it on the grade sheet, and its on some official stuff. I would say Studs is more popular though.

Reactions: E5B

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
why not just skip primary altogether. I mean you can wing right out of API, I would imagine your chances are pretty good.

/threadjack

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
The only reason I chose Corpus for Primary was my ultimate goal was to be TS in Kingsville. Since that worked out and I got to say in SoTex I liked it quite a bit. You just have to find the goods about a place and ignore the others as much as you can. Now that I'm in Krock West (lemoore) I miss good old south Texas, but I don't think I want to go back. The flying is too titty out here. Me likey mountains.

If you are trying to make the choice, I would pick based on what you wanted to do. If you want Props or E2/C2 then go to Corpus. If you want Helos obviously pick Whiting. The only trouble is if you want jets. You might get stuck with Corpus and then have to go to Meridian or vice versa.

beau

Singer6 said:
The only trouble is if you want jets. You might get stuck with Corpus and then have to go to Meridian or vice versa.

Yep, but not complaining!

Hey A4's what about that nasty 13 second spool up time for the F-9? kind of dicy for carrier ops for studs eh? what's your take on it?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Disclaimer: don't hold me to ANY of the numbers as I'm doin' this from memory.

beau said:
Hey A4's what about that nasty 13 second spool up time for the F-9? kind of dicy for carrier ops for studs eh? what's your take on it?
HEY, BEAU ..... True story ... some of my flight school "buds" who were too squatty to fly the "sexy Scooter" (see above re: sitting height) and got F-9's @ Chase Field told me that the wave-off point had to be adjusted at the ship AND "under the bag" on go-around on instrument hops at minimums --- Instructors really paid attention ..... the NICE thing about the F-9 engines was they were impervious to most FOD .... normal maintenance consisted of throwing 2-3 Alka-Seltzer into the intake while still turning ..... they ate anything --- Texas buzzards beware ;)

Mefesto said:
T-2's (not sure which model) was worse than that... the old man told me one of their preflight items was a timing of idle to mil... anything over 22 seconds was too much, and the plane was grounded.
Also a true story, "Mr. Mefesto" (*ahem*) ... it was the T-2A model originally with a single Pratt & Whitney J34-48 engine --- 19 seconds was considered "good to go" (however, that particular phrase had not been invented, yet:) ) ..... that was what we started in at both VT-7 and VT-9 at McCain Field and the T2A NEVER went to the ship --- at least not while I was there.

VT-7/9 also had the T-2B (twin engine) for formation and night flying and VT-4 @ Sherman Field had the T2C for guns and CQ. It came with a lot more power and quicker response in the guise of two J85-GE-4 engines w/3000# thrust each -- not too bad for a little trainer with an empty weight of @ 8000# and a max takeoff of @ 13,000#. Snappy performance for a straight-wing jet -- great in the gun pattern.

T2-formation-01.jpg
T-2 Nicknames: Attack Guppy; Trusty Tubbyjet

Side note: We used to do spin training as STUDs in the T-2 as it was straight wing. Do you have that in the Goshawk syllabus ....... ?????:)

2nd side note: look at the T-2 Buckeye tail in the profile where it joins the upper fuselage. North American built the T-2 until N/A was bought by Rockwell ...... do you see anything familiar about that tail profile??

p51.jpg
Do you see it now ..... ???

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The T-2 is one GOOFY looking bird. That being said, I heard it was actually pretty cool to fly, especially because of its OCF characteristics.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Side note: We used to do spin training as STUDs in the T-2 as it was straight wing. Do you have that in the Goshawk syllabus ....... ?????:)

nope... the T-45 is pretty tough to get to spin according to natops. The only way they could get an upright spin was to asymmetrically load it (PMBRs on one wings, other slick). I've heard of a couple people getting into inverted spins, but it's pretty rare. upon departure as soon as you go neutral-idle, the plane will fall to nose down and pickup a/s pretty quickly. in that regard, its a good trainer b/c it's forgiving when you make dumb mistakes and try to enter the flats at 100 kts and 45 degrees nose up.

we actually only have one OCF flight (and 2 sims), but it never really violently departs...

lance

ENSsquid said:
why not just skip primary altogether. I mean you can wing right out of API, I would imagine your chances are pretty good.

/threadjack

How do you go about doing that?

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
lance2 said:
How do you go about doing that?

something about an OSO (whatever that is??) and you gotta do a marine PFT, and your dad has to be like an air force general (it's all genetics ya know?)

you just gotta ask yourself (and post up on AW): what are my chances?

ps I really hope you were kidding.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
As far as the T-2A going to the boat, we've got some old pictures on the wall in the squadron, one of which is an A on the Cat in tension, I'll try and take a picture of it with my nifty camera phone A4's...

...........the T-45 program... but politics being what they are found us aquiring the Hawk program from the Brits... the rest as they say, is history.

Yes (*aahem*)ah, Mr. Mefesto. Please do it if you can on the T-2A pix ... I'd like to see it. I didn't want to give anyone the impression the T-2A model NEVER went to the ship in it's history --- obviously it was built to do just that. It just NEVER went to the ship when I was there, which suited all of us just fine. The F-9 guys @ Chase Field had it bad enough at the ship with slow power response -- and it was better than the T-2A. If your pix shows the "hold-back" fitting, I'll tell you a "Sea Story" about a STUD on the Lexington, his accident which manifested some stirling headwork on his part, and why @ 40 of us never CQ'ed in Basic as a result ... went straight to Texas Advanced to meet the "deadly" TA-4 without T-2 CQ.

Your sim instructor was right. Stripped down F-18's ??? Reminiscent of stripped down F-9's, F-11's, A-4's, you say ? Just a small example of when "buy American" was not even a question when the subject was U.S. military equipment. The T-45 program ?? ...... harruuuuuuumph!! There are many, many fine potential mounts baking and rotting in the Davis-Monthan sunshine (already paid for) and could have been used instead of that Brit tinker-toy that you guys now fly. I will excuse you if you tell me it's great, you mean well, you just don't know any better. (just kidding, AW haters :) ) IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT POLITICS & MONEY !!! (as in more money and more politics .....) That's also why our military puts up with and has to use many "foreign" products , a.k.a. Stryker, Beretta 9mm's, Aerospatiale (sp?) helos, Falcon jets, the list goes on and on in modern military procurement and in the interest of "globalism". If the foreign stuff is better, then WE need to do better. But if we don't even try .... ???? Remember, Politics and Money .......Politics and Money ....... just my $20 worth .....

Next trick will be to replace the Humvie with THIS !! BELIEVE IT !! ;)

Balut, balut, balut ........

MNL_Manila%20Jeepney%20Jonathan.jpg
125px-Philippines_flag_large.png

lance

Michael W said:
Um, your kidding right? Salina must be turning out some pretty hot products since I was there.

I didn't say i thought i had a chance, somebody mentioned it so i ask a simple question. I don't expect to be a super stud. I am a normal guy just like everyone else around here.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey, we'll all be fuel nazis out of here. Pretty appropriate for our Hornet fleet I'd say.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
As far as the T-2A going to the boat.......I'll try and take a picture of it with my nifty camera phone A4's...

Calling Mr. (*ahem*) Mefesto on your nifty camera phone .... can you hear me now ??? And can we expect that pic any time soon?? Meanwhile, I'm going to town to get some Tequila & limes .....

Status
Not open for further replies.