• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What not to do at OCS

nugget81

pilot
So this happened this last weekend to some candidate officers at OCS....six candio's go to a bar in Destin, in civilian clothes, for a good time on liberty. Two problems already: 1. Destin is out of bounds by 4 miles (you can travel up to 50 miles while on liberty) 2. They aren't in uniform as is required while on liberty at OCS. One of them gets into a fight and the cops are called. No big deal...no one is arrested and everyone is ok.

However, the chain of command at OCS wants to know what happened. The candio's are asked by their class team if they were in uniform, to which they give an affirmative reply (i.e., "yes, we were in uniform.") Then they are called into the CO's office and he has the sherriff's report. It turns out that the COC already knew that the candio's weren't in uniform. Can you say "integrity violation"?

Now there are six candidate officers, who were in the 11th week of training (out of 12), that are being rolled back. They aren't being rolled back just one class, or even two classes. They are going back to the seawall. That means if they want to continue with their naval careers, they will have to start over and go through all of training at OCS again. They are actually lucky in this case because there was talk of them be attrited from the program.

What's the moral of the story? Don't ever lie at OCS. Don't break the rules at OCS. It is only 12 weeks. That is far too short a period of time for someone to screw up an entire career.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. That wouldn't fly at Marine OCS. No question you're going home. I have seen people at boot camp get rolled all the way back like that though. Always for integrity violations, too.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would say they were very lucky to be offered a shot at redemption.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
That never happens in the fleet. An integrity violation gets you the axe! I sure hope those guys learned thier lesson, because there is no room in this Navy for that crap!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
How far is the E-course..

I know full canteens is a no no.

I dont know how long it is, but I think a max score time is some where in like the 40 minutes range.

You are required to have full canteens during the course. I have heard of Candidates getting sent home for dumping them out in the middle of the course.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
You are required to have full canteens during the course. I have heard of Candidates getting sent home for dumping them out in the middle of the course.

Yeah but hydration on some level is required before the course is run, right?
Improper hydration as well as excessive hydration are detrimental to your health.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Yeah but hydration on some level is required before the course is run, right?
Improper hydration as well as excessive hydration are detrimental to your health.

yeah...so you fill your canteens up right before the run. On the E-Course at Marine OCS, you run with your war gear on (Canteens) and the weight from the gear is supposed to be one of the rigors of the course.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
The thing is the water really isnt that heavy, especially after carrying it around for so many weeks. Its more of a mental thing I think. Its all about giving people so many things to do to piss them off and see if they'll actually do it and be honest. As far as being hydrated, before the E-course, they would ask again to make sure that everyone is filled up and if not they could run to the head outside right before starting the e-course to top off. I heard several stories while there of people who had them empty and lied about it when asked, or people who got caught dumping it out while running.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
If the canteens really aren't that big of a problem weight-wise, why would you want to dump them out during the run...especially since the chance of getting caught is high....I mean you would figure, no water = lying...something that would almost certainly get pointed out in my eyes.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Wow, I've never seen such a seamless tread-jack!! They should be kicked out, and my guess is that the Gunny's will run them out.

STLEngineer

pilot
I'm sure Master Guns wasn't too pleased with that. If he's there now...

OCS is not the Navy... that's one thing you have to keep telling yourself to get through the first week or so. It's best to just keep your head low. Go out into town and have a good time, but just follow the rules and don't do stupid stuff like this.

That's going to really stink to have the class that was behind yours indoc you. Although going through indoc the second time is probably eaiser, unless you have a target on your back. While I was there, a guy started at the seawall 3 times because he kicked someone and wouldn't own up to it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
So this happened this last weekend to some candidate officers at OCS....six candio's go to a bar in Destin, in civilian clothes, for a good time on liberty. Two problems already: 1. Destin is out of bounds by 4 miles (you can travel up to 50 miles while on liberty) 2. They aren't in uniform as is required while on liberty at OCS. One of them gets into a fight and the cops are called. No big deal...no one is arrested and everyone is ok.

However, the chain of command at OCS wants to know what happened. The candio's are asked by their class team if they were in uniform, to which they give an affirmative reply (i.e., "yes, we were in uniform.") Then they are called into the CO's office and he has the sherriff's report. It turns out that the COC already knew that the candio's weren't in uniform. Can you say "integrity violation"?

Now there are six candidate officers, who were in the 11th week of training (out of 12), that are being rolled back. They aren't being rolled back just one class, or even two classes. They are going back to the seawall. That means if they want to continue with their naval careers, they will have to start over and go through all of training at OCS again. They are actually lucky in this case because there was talk of them be attrited from the program.

What's the moral of the story? Don't ever lie at OCS. Don't break the rules at OCS. It is only 12 weeks. That is far too short a period of time for someone to screw up an entire career.
What about punching your DI?