• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Graybeard - Kind of unfortunate that he took several broadsides in this forum. Say hi to the new guy ...
You don't come here spouting BS about superiority without expecting to take broadsides from those you are calling inferior.

He made his one and only appearance/post when he left his little gem and hasn't even logged on since.

He got the responses he deserved. Especially since it seems if it was a drive-by.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And Helo Pilots make even worse movies?

2n03gg9.jpg

Still, think about how much better Top Gun would have been if it had Tommy Lee Jones as Jester and Sean Young as Charlie.

Dhopeful

I am seriously interested in becoming an NFO and was wondering if any NFOs can give me information about what it is like? Do you get to fly the aircraft you are navigating? For example a NFO on a F/A-18F would he ever actually fly the aircraft or are the rumours I have read true that they just ride along and never get to fly? Thanks for any info!

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am seriously interested in becoming an NFO and was wondering if any NFOs can give me information about what it is like? Do you get to fly the aircraft you are navigating? For example a NFO on a F/A-18F would he ever actually fly the aircraft or are the rumours I have read true that they just ride along and never get to fly? Thanks for any info!

Welcome to Air Warriors! Have you had a chance to use the search function or browse through the forums? Your questions are fairly common and get brought up from time to time. Many current and former NFO's have provided insight into the life of an NFO in those existing threads.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Being an NFO is awesome...it's almost as fun as being a pilot!

Welcome aboard...
Pickle

Bubba thinks Pickle needs a whiz quiz. Seems like Pickle's been smoking something.

I will say the first part of Pickle's statement is correct... being an NFO is awesome. He does, however, need a little guidance on the second part. I'd have to say that being an NFO is more fun than being a pilot.

Hey pickle... you see the little blue line on your EHSI? Yeah.. shut up and follow it... (i keed, i keed)

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Welcome to Air Warriors! Have you had a chance to use the search function or browse through the forums? Your questions are fairly common and get brought up from time to time. Many current and former NFO's have provided insight into the life of an NFO in those existing threads.

This is the most polite "use the search bar" post I have ever seen. :)

To the OP, F/A-18F WSOs do a lot more than "just ride along," but you'd have a tough time flying from the backseat, seeing as there are no flight controls back there. (This from the voice of no experience).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Student NFO's get a little bit of "stick time" in primary in the T-6, and I could imagine that if you go further on the strike pipeline you would probably get a chance to fly the T-39 and/or T-45C if you had a cool pilot and some time to waste. I have a couple NFO friends that got to do both, but this is of course stick time counted in minutes rather than any meaningful experience. As for the fleet I can't comment, although I am aware of few fleet aircraft that have dual controls (P-3, E-6, E-2 are the only ones that come to mind with NFO's). The Super Hornet FRS has a few a/c with dual controls, but IIRC those cockpits are analogs of the front and I'm *guessing* wouldn't be used for WSO sorties. Maybe someone with Hornet/Rhino experience can comment on this....

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
NFOs don't really fly aircraft. We manage a/c systems, talk on the radios, and help build the crew's SA. You get to fly a little bit in training, mostly in the T-6, but that's about it.

It is fun and rewarding...but not the same kind of fun as being at the controls. NFOs are crew members, and a lot of the focus in training is learning how to be a good crew member through communicating with the pilot and ATC, as well as prioritizing your respobsibilities as a co-pilot.

Of course, I have no idea what the fleet is like since I'm still in training, and actual responsibilities of a FO vary a lot from platform to platform, so it's a little hard to answer your question. There's some good info on the board, though, search function would be a good place to start, as well as the sticky's about various training pipelines and RAGs in this forum.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
You don't get to fly the F18F. You don't navigate or run the RADAR. Make no mistake, at least in the Rhino, you are being paid to ride along and provide awareness to the pilot. I recommend you try for pilot if you are physically qualified. It's a good job for good pay, but being a pilot is much more fun. That's why Im back in flight school as an O-3 to get the single anchor and I'm loving every minute of it.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ever think the guy wants to be a NFO? While what you say about the Rhino and NFO's may be true, its not the same for every platform.

Take the mighty EA-6B Prowler for instance... the pilot cannot control the weapons system. That's what us double anchor guys do. We talk to whomever on the radios, navigate and operate the system. In fact, you can't go fly a Prowler without at least one NFO, and that only in very specific instances outlined in SOP... outside of those specific circumstances, the jet REQUIRES 3 people.

To the OP, befoer you dive headlong into being an SNFO, make sure you understand what it is you're getting into. When it comes time for platform selection, make sure you've talked to instructors from the different communities and you have an idea of what the mission entails... both the current and traditional missions (as far as can be told) because they can, and do, differ. I'll give the same advice for someone who's thinking about becoming an SNA.

BTW, i wanted to be a pilot, and selected SNFO. I have no regrets. I don't want to go back and try to be a pilot. I absolutely love my job.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I am seriously interested in becoming an NFO and was wondering if any NFOs can give me information about what it is like?

Keep in mind that I became an NFO in the days before eye surgery and the options to be a pilot, starting VT-10 in spring of 1987, and while there is no doubt that I would have preferred to have been a pilot at the time I'm not sure I can say that in a 22 year retrospect.

As an NFO you were expected to know everything the pilot knew plus your half of the plane (and in Prowlers you get a front seat and weapons system NATOPS check ride every year to ensure you do). The standards are high.

As a TACAIR NFO you are likely the smallest group of winged officers in the Navy. I have nothing to back this up but would be curious to know how many people have graduated from VT-86 over the years but it's not a huge group by any means.

As an NFO you have the opportunity to do some very interesting second tour options that may not be available or of interest to our single winged brethren.

Other than some fun, occasional, stick time in the T-34, T-2, TA-4, S-3, a couple Hornet B rides and reaching over from the left seat to do the occasional flaperon roll on a FACIT flight I never got to fly the plane. That's OK, my part of the team was great and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

You are expected to be an expert in every aspect of you aircraft and employing it. There is no slack in this matter, your career and professional reputation depends on it. There is a double standard (at least in the Prowler). If you have a pilot as a CO/XO your airmanship skills will be judged by your comm/nav/USQ and airmanship knowledge in the front seat. Your NFO squadronmates and senior officers will judge you by how you perform in the back and your knowledge of weapons and tactics. To succeed you need to excel at both.

In general an NFO runs the plane, he doesn't fly it. So, do you still want to take on the challenge of being an NFO?