• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What is it like to be an NFO?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Having seen a lot of questions on this subject, I thought I would provide these notes from an “old” air warrior concerning the NFO career path. Traditionally, only the top performers in Basic NFO flight training would be selected for the fighter (RIO) Advanced training pipeline.
Bullshit. When I went through VT-10 in 1983, at least 50% of the guys that were #1 in the class were choosing P-3s. The A-6 BN job was probably more desired than F-14 RIO too. Lots of guys who NPQed from pilot wanted S-3s for the chance to sit the front right seat. There was no "one plane gets the best" either in SNFO preferences or selections. It was all based on class standing, desires and needs of the Navy. Further, "quality spread" was a selection criteria. If the #1 guy went F-14s, then the bottom guy also went F-14s. I know the number of guys wanting P-3s were similar through out at least the early to mid 1980s. There were not enough P-3 slots for all that wanted them.

As a personal aside, when I was in VT-86, three experienced fleet attack pilots who had lost their pilot status for visual reasons wound up in the (then) RIO syllabus as they wanted to become Fighter RIOs. A few weeks in, they told anyone who would listen that it was by far the most difficult flying training they had ever experienced. The VT-86 RIO pipeline had at that time the highest attrition rate in the Naval Air Training Command.
I'll agree with this. I posted this once in the past on this site, but in the early to mid 1980s, NFO training had a 40%+ attrition rate (not including NPQs) where pilots were around 25%.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Interesting first post, The jump from first to third person read like a book... Welcome to the site old timer...

rbon533l.jpg

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
When I did selection out of basic in 1991, you had to be the #1 guy if you wanted Intruders to guarantee the spot. #2,3,4 were usually E-2 draft. Then Prowlers and Tomcats. Bottom guy would get Intruders as quality spread.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Things seemed a little simpler back in '68. At least for the Marines.

There were six of us in our class at VT-10. We were told day one - there are 3 F-4 RIO billets and 3 A-6 B/N billets. Top man gets his choice and down the list.

All you had to do was look around and see what everyone wanted and you knew where you had to finish.

Finished #2 - top guy wanted and got A-6 - Bingo fighter/attack land here I come.

Life was simple

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I would much rather be a BN than a RIO. How many BN's dropped ordnance in combat? How many RIO's shot down MIG's in combat? Retorical question. "Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history"

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
"Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history"

The old joke was "Fighter pilots make movies, attack pilots make bad movies." :D
Flight%20of%20the%20intruder.jpg

A-6 Intruders, All Weather Attack. We stay up longer, go deeper and deliver bigger loads.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
If the ass clowns who flew in my back seat of the F-14A were the top of the class (except for MOTO), I cry for the poor JOPA souls subject to the double anchor leadership of the F/A-18F community today. JFK

I'll second the motion that quality spread exist(ed)s, or at least I hope it does (did)...

IRfly

None
Nah, the OP is right. As a P-3 NFO, I certainly consider myself to be bottom-of-the-barrel material. I'm not even important enough to have someone telling me what to do every second in the plane! Then I go home and weep over the size (or lack thereof) of my cock (but the little guy sure tries hard, especially when I see one of those super-awesome jet guys).

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Very odd and unasked for first post from a former USN RIO and USAF WSO.......

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Graybeard,

Welcome to the forum and boy did you step in it with your first post. I only made it through your first paragraph before the F-Bombs were flying in my office :icon_rage, and that was a few days ago.

That is your viewpoint from your experience and I for one have a VERY different viewpoint which I am compelled to offer. During your era, I can not imagine that naval leadership (O-6 and above) of the non-fighter communities would have tolerated "that" for one nanosecond. Your first paragraph did a disservice to the rest of your post.

When I went through VT10 and VT86 in 1984, it was "#1 [usually] gets their choice and the rest is quality spread". It's been a couple of years since I spoke to a TraWing Commodore, but nothing had changed in 2006. Today the students still fill out their dream sheets and hope that they earned the privledge to wear their wings in the aircraft of their choice.

No matter the outcome, the freshly minted wear their wings with great pride and in their own minds their #1. I saw it everyday when I was a recent base CO of a major training destination. Good on 'em.

Given that there are over 300 million people in our country and what it takes to clear all of the gate keeping to earn one's wings, including filtering BS forum posts, messdeck rumors and stinkin' thinkin' by a few, they are all number #1 in my book, and the best this country has to offer, no matter their rank in their winging class (NA or NFO).

And for all of you junior birdmen, when you show up at your RAG class, your ranking, #1 or last, means absolutely zip, nada, nothing!

'Nuff said by this NFO...for now!

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I would much rather be a BN than a RIO. How many BN's dropped ordnance in combat? How many RIO's shot down MIG's in combat? Retorical question. "Fighter pilots make movies, bomber pilots make history"

So what movie are you going to make?