• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
I wouldn't go changing your license plates just because you'll take some heat from a DI or IP--that's expensive (if NY is anything like GA). What I'd do is just trade cars with one of your parents or siblings for OCS.

CHECK6...that's good.

----LATER----
Hmm...just checked Alabama registration...CHECK6 is available here (so is SPLASH1). Which surprises me, b/c there's an F-16 squadron based at Maxwell AFB in Montgomery.

Hmm... AUAV8R is also available. <Wheels turning in head>...

Edited by - Tripp on 03/15/2001 22:46:24

Tahoe

quote:
quote: I already have people threatening to have an order from Victoria's Secret sent to me at OCS.

Victoria's Secret!! I'd be lucky if I got just that. You should hear some of the stuff my buddies are saying they are going to send, ugh...my stomach turns at the thought of what's to come..

D

vicki

Must be that people from New York don't care how dorky they look with these types of vanity tags. Mine actually say CHECKS1X because CHECKSIX, CHECK 6 and CHEKSIX were all taken.

Maybe I just won't own up to that being my car. Unless of course, someone comes in and says "Okay, now who's the idiot with the pathetic tags?!?" Oh well, I'm used to taking a lot of humor at my expense. I have a thick skin. :)

Jeff29

Science Project
Financially, it's in your best interest to get rid of those plates anyway (you can still keep them, just not on your car). Supposing you end up somewhere in Texas during flight training, you'll probably save over $1K per year by becoming a Texas state resident. Texas has no state income tax, so you might want to get a driver's licence and change your plates as soon as you get there. Then for as long as you're in the military you will never have to pay state income tax.

vicki

Jeff - Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1940 that the only way I'd wind up paying state income tax is if I were stationed in my home state and said state had a state tax. While NY certainly has a state tax I think my chances of being stationed there are next to nil unless I want a recruiting stash or something like that. Am I way off base here? Was I fed a bogus story?

Jeff29

Science Project
I believe Matt is correct (I know I had to pay Utah state taxes while living in California). Also, as far as not paying taxes while in a combat zone, it only applies to months where any part of the month was spent in the combat zone. I know people who will try to get sent somewhere at the end of a month and then return the beginning of the next month (gone for a week, no taxes for 2 months). This also applies to re-enlistment bonuses which is why you'll see a lot of people re-enlisting while in a combat zone.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Matt,

the dude with the license plate of ICEMAN actually got extra duty for that? I know you'd have to be an idiot to get that on your plate, but come on...extra duty. That is just plain wrong!

--Steve

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Vicki, Way off base with the sailors relief act. Take it from a former Californian who also went to flight school in Florida. I have Texas plates now!
CHECKS1X, let me just say as a former IP, you are a target rich envirovment for a Kangaroo Court! You just don't want to stand out that way. Your are correct about one thing, we definitely enjoyed harrassing all the "individuals" who put Tomcat patches or Harrier patches on there helmet bags and haven't even finished API. By the way, all of you going to Kingsville, it appears that I'm going to be an IP again in the "choke" Navy reserve. I'm going to have to go get a USMC emblem tattooed over my heart. I'll be looking for your car Vicki! Semper Fi!

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

vicki

Hey all - Thanks for all the info. It appears that tax law is not going to be an alternate career path for me (sigh). Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Frumby - So, I guess I'm painting a bull's eye on my forehead, eh? I don't want everyone to think I'm a conceited a** with an ego the size of Montana before they even meet me. (I'll let them come to that conclusion after meeting me. JK. ) With a little luck and a lotta work maybe I'll make it to Kingsville and you can try to get some flying skills pounded into my thick head. Just be watching for the black SS Camaro with the CHECKS1X plates! Take care and thanks for the input.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I take it you're going to keep the plates?

--Steve Wilkins

vicki

Steve - I figure I've got at least until Primary to unload them if I'm going to. Since I had this whole tax thing bass ackwards I guess I may be changing my state of residence sooner rather than later in the training pipeline. So, if I do that I'll have to get new plates. For now I guess I'll just withstand the public humiliation. I still don't think it's anywhere near as bad as "ICEMAN". If anyone gets too mouthy with me, I'll just make tham race me ;-). The Batmobile answers all questions with a throaty rumble and a cloud of dust (man, must of just had a testosterone surge there - don't know what came over me).

Dave Shutter

SETTLE DOWN BEAVIS

BTW, I truly hope none of this ballbreaking is coming from any of you June 2nd OCS cats, the WILDONE there might be one of your indoc' candy-O's!

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 03/20/2001 02:32:27

Dave Shutter

quote:it appears that I'm going to be an IP again in the "choke" Navy reserve

Frumby...Congrats on your new job!

Will you instruct from Mon. to Fri.? How does that work if you're in the reserves, or is it one of those "full time reserve jobs"? Will you be "in the Navy" or a Marine simply assigned to one of the VT's?

BTW, Any more news on Kingsville getting the T-45C???

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 03/20/2001 02:30:58

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Vicki,
A black SS Camaro with "Checks1x" on the plates. Don't worry youngster, I think you will have just the right attitude to survive the river of S##T that will flow your way! I've always said, I would rather have someone with an attitude that I would be forced from time to time to reel rather then have to constantly put my size twelve in their posterior to get them to do something!
Good luck on your first step into a incredible lifestyle. Semper Fi!

Dave, I'll be forced to get a sex change because the Corps doesn't have those reserve billets. Last I heard the T-45A was going to begin to be retrofited into T-45C's starting Nov 97. There a little behind but the way we are losing T-45A's (11 in 5 years), it won't be long until we have an entire T-45 fleet in Kingsville.
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC