• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vicki's path to flight school (a female perspective)

vicki

Good luck Dave! I hope the orthopod that examines you is in an accomodating mood. There must be more than a few SNA slots kicking around if they gave me one, I'm sure there's one with your name on it.

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Grr...now I'm having problems. With Civil Aviation! Sheesh, pre-Med is looking easier by the minute!

Apparently, the FAA doens't like the fact that I have AD/HD. No matter that I'm not on any medication for it...they sent me a letter requesting that I send my medical certificate back to them. Augh...stupid bueracracy. My dad's an accountant, so he deals with the IRS and SEC almost every day...I don't know how he does it, lol.

http://www.auburn.edu/~trippmr/flying/faa.jpg

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:
I shoul be able to get checked in the other trainers when I go back down for ACEs in Jan

Vicki: You are going through ACEs twice?? 1 800 FRAUD WASTE AND ABUSE hotline here I come!! jk If so, have fun flying the turbo weenie again.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Tripp: Ouch, that has to hurt. Best of luck in getting that cleared up, and back to flying.

vicki

Ahh, the joys of a technicalities. I went to ACEs in May as an SNFO. I have to go down again in order for my SNA paperwork to be complete. SNAs get an x-ray of their sinuses which SNFOs don't. So there you have it, I'm traveling 1200 miles for an x-ray. I do get another "Turbo-Weenie" ride though (insert evil laugh).

Jeff

Thats funny, I was explaining to a freind of mine getting ready to apply about what the flight physicals are like, and I completely forgot about going over to have all the ex-rays done. That is a pain, when we go to the building to have them done they had no idea what we were there for, so it took an hour of sitting around before they began taking us in for x-rays. Atleast you get to go up in the air, when I went we got to do everything but that so I feel a like I got screwed on that one. Good Luck...

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I hear alot of whinning about motivation and how difficult the whole process to EARNING your wings. I hate to dispell any previous notions but when those two gold posts are hammered into your chest, the pain is only begining. Once you get to the RAG, you will have to learn not only your platforms NATOPS but the secret NATOPS as well. When you get to the squadron, your ground job becomes your life. Unforutnately, your fitness reports will report on how well you do your ground job not your aviation skills. The problem is balancing the ground job and maintaining your knowledge and air sense as a pilot. Believe it or not, flight school is fun. The fleet is hard but it's also rewarding. When you pull 7G's coming off target at 480 kts, looking back while your 60 deg noseup and 90 deg AOB to see your MK-82 "SHACK" the target. Your motivation will be overwhelming. You'll realize that you have the greatest profession in the entire world. SEMPER FI!

vicki

Paul,

I had PRK in July and have since been granted a waiver and a designation of SNA. If I am a "most qualified applicant" then I would guess anybody can do it. I'm not particularly brilliant or talented, just stubborn and hard-working. If you have any specific questions on the waiver process etc. feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck.

FLY NAVY!

vicki

John,

Beleive it or not, I am getting my sh** together. I have been reading aero ad nauseum and was at the gym at 0530 today. I'll probably still get killed at OCS, but hopefully not quite as dead. lol

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Vicki, as with anything you want in life, OCS is just another hurdle to get to where you want to go. And those days in OCS when you get woken up at O dark thirty by the DI and ask yourself "Why am I doing this to myself?" just think that when you get to fly it will all have been worth it, as anyone on here can attest.

Now personally, I just had one of those days yesterday, starting the second day of ground school for P3s when they gave me a NATOPs 4 times the size of the T34 or T44 NATOPs, plust all the other wonderful books they handed out. I looked at the book devoted to circuit breakers and asked myself "Why did I pick P3s again?" lol But seriously, for whatever it is worth, the feeling of joy and accomplishment when you get those Wings of Gold put on is well worth it.

As for getting mashed, those DIs can always find anything they want as a pretext to mash you. Just don't let your family and friends send mass mail to you, can make mail call a real pain for you, and god help you if they send postcards with anything wity on the back.

Anyways, have "fun" in OCS, it is just a prelude of better things to come...

Dave Shutter

Vicki...

I feel your pain in the gym at 0530! I Went running today in some serious wind chill! P-Cola FL, DI's or not, is sounding better every day!

From a "having gone through boot camp" point of view, I can tell you that all the abuse, endless inspections, marching, PT and the "mashings" as Navy folk call them, are specifically designed and orchestrated with an actual purpose in mind. Sounds funny I know, but think about it, the US military has been breaking in new enlisted and officers for over two centuries now and they just about have it down to a science. I know this may come as small condolence to anyone doing push-ups in the sand/dirt/mud/freshly waxed barracks floors, with the sounds with a screaming Chief/USMC DI in their ears, but when you finally get to graduation (and you'll be amazed at how quickly you do) you'll know that you couldn't have gotten there without that DI/Chief pushing you every day. Believe it or not, but you'll look back on the guy/gal with a lot of fondness.

BTW: None of my business, but while you're studying ahead you might want to add books on Naval history, engineering, or even navigation and seamanship to your stack of API gouge. Not very exiting reading for anyone who's got Tomcat on the brain, I know, but these subjects are in your immediate future while Aero I & II are still a ways off. Just some advice that I was given. The OCS website lists all the subjects taught, I plan on studying ahead bigtime.

PS. how did you like the Lingenfelter site?

D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Take if from the resident SWO. Navigation and seamanship are pretty much the two most boring things on this earth. Now engineering, there's some good stuff! Take care.

--Steve

vicki

Vicki's OCS experience

Does anybody have any specific suggestions for study materials for academics at OCS other than the "items to memorize" on the OCS homepage? I have been studying basic physics / engineering/ engines etc., but these are pretty broad topics without even introding Naval history and the like into the equation. I have API gouge aplenty, but little on the actual material covered in OCS. Thanks in advance.

Dave - Could you send me that site again? I've been having e-mail issues.

Dave Shutter

Parts of the OCS website have been "under construction" for as long as I've been checking up on it (two years now) but they've finally got a solid page running. The OCS page is actually just one part of the NASC page, the same folks who run API, which you can also find an informative link for as well as ones for all the other P-cola aviation schools.

OCS is at...http://www.cnet.navy.mil/nascweb/ocs.htm

Vicki...E-mail issues? Have you gotten any of those Tomcat pics I sent?

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 12/09/2000 23:33:42

Dave Shutter

Editing feature works fine John, thanx! Didn't meant to bug you about it, it just got a little annoying.

D

Edited by - Dave Shutter on 12/09/2000 23:36:03