• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V/r or V/R?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So if I’m writing a bridge-burning, career-ending e-mail to the Admiral do I use “F/y” or “F/Y”?
At that point, it really doesn’t matter. If you’re going for points, sign it V/r & G/f/y but spelled out.
Also, why do Jarheads always write S/f, vice V/r?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I have always wanted to demand that my people close e-mails to me with,

Your Obedient Servant

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or your certifications….I have a co-worker that puts every CompTIA certification in their signature line (A+/ Security+, Network+, etc) in pictures….OMFG!
Or your ACTC quals. There is a guy at Pt Mugu who has “EA-6B SEAD Lead” in his signature block. Whoop de fucking do. ?

robav8r

None
Contributor
It's in the SECNAV Correspondence Manual, M-5216.5, IIRC.

It's V/r, because it's Sentence case not Title Case: Very respectfully, is shortened to V/r,
When speaking to equal or lower rank it's Respectfully, or R,

The SECNAV manual will tell you that the abbreviations are only for follow-on conversations within an email chain. Initial emails should be spelled out, but almost no one does that.

OTOH, everyone thoughtlessly uses R/ per the manual, even though Respectfully, would be abbreviated as R,

I submitted a change request to fix it, but I think it was ignored. (Yes. I'm a huge nerd.)
???

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or your certifications….I have a co-worker that puts every CompTIA certification in their signature line (A+/ Security+, Network+, etc) in pictures….OMFG!
I’m open to people using major career certs as postnomials on places like LinkedIn and resumes, because if the recruiter is looking for a PMP, an MBA, a terminal Agile coaching cert, or similar, it’s honestly just saving everyone’s time.

But an A+ is so fucking not that. It’s like insisting people refer to you as Joe Schmoe, ENS USN.

Sonog

pilot
The civ world desperately needs something easy and universal like V/r,

Everything else seems so overly formal or passive aggressive. Like "Best, " for example. Hard to say out loud without sounding like a little shit. Only thing that ever feels right is a good Thanks, or Thank You, if you are requesting something or asking for help.

Reactions: IKE

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The civ world desperately needs something easy and universal like V/r,

Everything else seems so overly formal or passive aggressive. Like "Best, " for example. Hard to say out loud without sounding like a little shit. Only thing that ever feels right is a good Thanks, or Thank You, if you are requesting something or asking for help.
I like cheers in a civilian setting. I hope that’s not glorifying alcohol. ?