• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

V/r or V/R?

MC87

Thanks, Griz.

Was told that V/R = addressing higher rank and V/r = addressing lower rank

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I always sign off emails as "V/r," regardless of rank. For officers I'll use "V/r, (my first name)", for enlisted I'll use "V/r, (my rank, last initial)"

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
It's in the SECNAV Correspondence Manual, M-5216.5, IIRC.

It's V/r, because it's Sentence case not Title Case: Very respectfully, is shortened to V/r,
When speaking to equal or lower rank it's Respectfully, or R,

The SECNAV manual will tell you that the abbreviations are only for follow-on conversations within an email chain. Initial emails should be spelled out, but almost no one does that.

OTOH, everyone thoughtlessly uses R/ per the manual, even though Respectfully, would be abbreviated as R,

I submitted a change request to fix it, but I think it was ignored. (Yes. I'm a huge nerd.)

number9

Contributor
I will always find it hilariously that people want to say "Very respectfully" at the end of an email in order to be polite and professional, but quickly think to themselves "Fuck it, that's too many letters to type. 'V/r' it is!"

Reactions: IKE

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It's in the SECNAV Correspondence Manual, M-5216.5, IIRC.

It's V/r, because it's Sentence case not Title Case: Very respectfully, is shortened to V/r,
When speaking to equal or lower rank it's Respectfully, or R,

The SECNAV manual will tell you that the abbreviations are only for follow-on conversations within an email chain. Initial emails should be spelled out, but almost no one does that.

OTOH, everyone thoughtlessly uses R/ per the manual, even though Respectfully, would be abbreviated as R,

I submitted a change request to fix it, but I think it was ignored. (Yes. I'm a huge nerd.)
So if I’m writing a bridge-burning, career-ending e-mail to the Admiral do I use “F/y” or “F/Y”?