• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uss missouri .. Ssn-780??

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
When its a thousand feet long 10 stories high, and displaces 103 thousand tons, does it really matter what its called?

Hell yeah it matters! If it was the USS William J Clinton, in time of war it'll head to Canada, we'll never get fresh water because though it's surrounded by it... it won't intake any, the only way to get it to do anything productive is to have it be blown by someone in a blue dress, and it'll deny ever doing anything, even though the whole world knows it happened. :D

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
Forgot to mention... it would try to get rid of 90% of it's weapons, and restrict the use of the remaining 10%.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't see the problem, myself. It's a historic ship name, keeps with a current naming scheme. SSN's aren't as butch as a BB, maybe, but at least it's a warship. Some of the best ship names in the Navy right now belong to MSC (Antares, Impeccable, Invincible, Loyal, Navajo, Pathfinder, Victorious...)

The Coasties are better than the Navy about keeping traditional names in service, like Bear, Harriet Lane (original was a Revenue Cutter that tried to resupply Ft Sumter in 1861), Chase, etc. But to paraphrase Rickover, Harriet Lanes don't vote.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IIRC, Ford will technically be a transition vessel in terms of class, so whatever comes after that, presumably, will be the namesake for the class. I suspect (and hope) they'll choose something good for that.

Brett

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
IIRC, Ford will technically be a transition vessel in terms of class, so whatever comes after that, presumably, will be the namesake for the class. I suspect (and hope) they'll choose something good for that.

Brett

CVN 78 is the lead ship of the class...unless they're planning more changes for CVN 79...last I read, USS Gerald Ford is going to be the lead ship of the Ford-class.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This discussion is a bit late, since the USS Missouri (SSN 780) was named a while ago.

I always liked the fish names for submarines. Feels a lot more fitting than states and cities. Oh well.

I also agree that carriers named after Presidents are lame.

There is a psychological warfare component to naming a ship, and I agree with the poster who said that a name like "USS Lexington" strikes more fear than "USS Gerald Ford."

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
Is it that it's not intimidating enough to our enemies? Or that it doesn't sound cool enough for you?

The USS سيئة موظر الحمار would sound pretty bad ass to the current bad guys, but it looks like gibberish to us. Besides, I don't think many Afghans would wiki 'Enterprise' or 'Midway' to figure out if they should be sh**ting their bishts just yet

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Is it that it's not intimidating enough to our enemies? Or that it doesn't sound cool enough for you?

The USS سيئة موظر الحمار would sound pretty bad ass to the current bad guys, but it looks like gibberish to us. Besides, I don't think many Afghans would wiki 'Enterprise' or 'Midway' to figure out if they should be sh**ting their bishts just yet

It looked like gibberish to the Japanese too...but you think THEY will forget Lexington, Hornet, Enterprise, and Yorktown?

Xtndr50boom

Voted 8.9 average on the Hot-or-Not scale
It looked like gibberish to the Japanese too...but you think THEY will forget Lexington, Hornet, Enterprise, and Yorktown?

Absolutely: Japanese students aren't taught about the rape of Nanking, bio-warfare experiments, and MANY other "minor details" of the Second World War. There are very few Japanese who know what words like 'Hornet', 'Enterprise', and others truly mean.

After all, how many Americans do?

Will_T

Will_T
"Bad Ass Motherf*cker"? That sounds good to me, but it looks like scribble.

And about the "how many americans do" question, from my perspective, I can answer not many. I did a ap history project on the uss arizona and like half the kids had no idea. i was astounded.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CVN 78 is the lead ship of the class...unless they're planning more changes for CVN 79...last I read, USS Gerald Ford is going to be the lead ship of the Ford-class.

I don't know how big Navy will handle this in the end, but the Ford won't be a full up CVN-21 - remember reading that somewhere. Sure it would be cool to have ships named something cool like Intrepid or Defiant, but at the end of the day (or battle), it doesn't really factor into anything worth worrying about.

Brett

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
I don't know how big Navy will handle this in the end, but the Ford won't be a full up CVN-21 - remember reading that somewhere. Sure it would be cool to have ships named something cool like Intrepid or Defiant, but at the end of the day (or battle), it doesn't really factor into anything worth worrying about.

Brett

Boy, if only...announcing delivery of the USS Don't-Fuck-With-This-Giant-Terrorist-Killing-Ship... :D

I'm personally (and realistically) for naming them after old dead presidents instead of new dead presidents.

USS George Washington
USS Thomas Jefferson
USS James Madison

Authors of the values we are supposed to be supporting and defending, right? Just my take.