• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC Executive Flight Detachment (HMX-1 and Presidential Helo)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I think we'll be seeing all helicopter programs to be under scrutiny.

They already are - just look at the Army's issues with their light helo programs, USAF with CSAR, USMC with the Y/Z upgrade, etc. Unfortunately helos are no longer so "cheap" that they slide under the radar in acquisitions.

For the presidential, there is more than enough blame to go around for all sides - the contractors do not deserve all the blame in this case.

phrogpilot73

They already are - just look at the Army's issues with their light helo programs, USAF with CSAR, USMC with the Y/Z upgrade, etc. Unfortunately helos are no longer so "cheap" that they slide under the radar in acquisitions.

For the presidential, there is more than enough blame to go around for all sides - the contractors do not deserve all the blame in this case.
Interesting, I was just discussing this the other day with a former Coastie (who now works for one of Sikorsky's subcontractors). He said that the USCG fell into the same trap with a Eurocopter product (HH-65). He said that the Coast Guard said "Air Conditioning, we don't need no stinkin' air conditioning", only to find out that all Eurocopter products are air conditioned for one reason and one reason only - Avionics. The Army's learning this now...

Yeah, Helos ain't cheap. The 53K is a $4B contract...

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
He said that the Coast Guard said "Air Conditioning, we don't need no stinkin' air conditioning", only to find out that all Eurocopter products are air conditioned for one reason and one reason only - Avionics. The Army's learning this now...

It's not "Air Conditioning" it is an "Environmental Control System". This may sound stupid, but "Air Conditioning" is perceived as a luxury item to keep the flight crew cool, not something to keep the avionics within their operating temperature.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jeebus cripes...so much for a quick, off-the-shelf program. I knew this crap was going to happen as soon as Sikorsky flang down the law gauntlet. We'd seriously be so much better off if Congress could be kept out of acq programs for anything short of gross contractor malfeasance. Long as I'm wishing, I'd also like a new Jag and a soapy from Drew Barrymore.

phrogpilot73

Jeebus cripes...so much for a quick, off-the-shelf program.
That's the problem. Everyone assumed a quick, off-the-shelf program and any executive helo never will be. Once they select a platform (whether new design or existing design), they have to add a bunch of crap (even more than what they do to fleet helos). All of this crap has to be flight tested and evaluated. I always thought that the schedule was a bit optimistic at best. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IA'd dude in my office here works at the helo desk in Pax for his "real job". Among the changes requested after the contract was awarded - capability to do real-time VTC in flight. What!? How often do you need to VTC during the 20 min flight between the White House and Andrews? I mean, okay, SATCOM, secure comms, countermeasures, great, I can see that. But at some point this crap becomes the equivalent of chrome spinners and speakerboxes.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Presidential Helo takes to the air amidst controversy

Official Navy News Release

TV5_LR.JPG

VH-71 Begins U.S. Flight Testing

Patuxent River, Md. -- The first two VH-71 helicopters built for the President of the United States have entered the flight test phase with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.

The Navy-owned test vehicles, TV-2 and TV-5, arrived at NAS Patuxent River in November and December, respectively, aboard a U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo plane from AgustaWestland’s facility in Yeovil, England. The government and industry integrated test team will use the aircraft primarily for structural and propulsion testing, and pilot training.

TV-2 and TV-5 are the first of four test aircraft built for the initial phase of the VH-71 program known as Increment One.

Two more Increment One aircraft, TV-3 and TV-4, will undergo additional assembly and missionization at Lockheed Martin Systems Integration, Owego, NY prior to being transferred to NAS Patuxent River this year for testing of the avionics and mission systems.

TV-1, an industry-provided test asset, has been in flight test since shortly after the contract award, and currently has 555 flight hours.

Over the next eleven months, all Increment One aircraft will be delivered to Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., including the initial fleet of five presidential helicopters.

phrogpilot73

^^ I thought I saw it flying the other day... That, and an H-34 before the holidays. Wasn't able to find anything on that...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ I thought I saw it flying the other day... That, and an H-34 before the holidays. Wasn't able to find anything on that...

Ever thought that it has been so long that you have been in the cockpit that you are starting to see things? Or fantasize? Or have a 'Nam flashback? ;)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Ever thought that it has been so long that you have been in the cockpit that you are starting to see things? Or fantasize? Or have a 'Nam flashback? ;)
Speaking of which. If flying a desk is aviator hell - what would you call sitting at a desk with a window facing the Anacostia River watching more helicopter traffic than the Ia Drang in '65?:icon_help

MasterBates

At least you have a window.. Stuck in a windowless back office running numbers for the Penguin, while going 5 months without flying.. That blew.

phrogpilot73

Very well quite possible. I first saw it on my way in to work, and almost got in a couple of accidents trying to crane my neck to see where it was going... Then I thought that maybe I was still half-asleep and dreaming. When I left to go home and it was still booming around, I knew I wasn't dreaming...

At least you have a window.. Stuck in a windowless back office running numbers for the Penguin, while going 5 months without flying.. That blew.
Agreed - Aviator hell is working in a windowless cube, in a building that doesn't have the best soundproofing, and being able to hear everything from jets to props to helos flying all day. Welcome to my misery...