• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF to USN Inter-Service Transfer for Color Vision

exNavyOffRec

Is there a particular reason they separate those? I know they have to get some different people involved, but it seems bizarre they wouldn't select someone that's already in service if there were too many applicants. Unless there just aren't that many people applying for the IST..? Can you elaborate on the IST selection process AOCM mentioned above instead of the boards that everyone else goes through?

The MILSPERSMAN had some good info I needed! It included the 2 medical forms that I'm working and a number more miscellaneous ones. Not sure if they are all needed or just case by case basis but I'll have them complete and ready to go either way. Combining that with what I've heard from the recruiter it sounds as simple as it did before; the approval process may take a bit more time/work? I really hope the members making the selections share your bird theory

AOCM would have much better info on the IST process and probably on the basis of the numbers for IST.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
The reason the processes are different is that once you are commissioned you can't go get commissioned again. Law just doesn't work that way - otherwise you'd have a bunch of old staff-bound dudes trying to start over as JOs so they can get back in the cockpit (just sayin').

The IST process is all paperwork...and a lot of it. You have to work two separate bureaucracies - the losing service and the gaining service. Most folks get stymied along the way by one or more hurdles in the process - on the gaining side the issue has typically been the physical qualification process. Again there is no "board" and, therefore, no "members" - you're either qualified or not and there is or isn't a remaining quota. The reason that there aren't more quotas is because they haven't been needed/used.

mareid2

pilot
Update on the process: finally took ASTB today and scores seemed to be pretty average with 50 7/7/7. I finally got medical paperwork signed off which should be routing down south now. It's only a matter of time before NAMI finds something I need to have verified or resubmitted correctly (so I hear). I plan on discussing options with my commander in the next week or so to start the process of applying for conditional release. I'm really hoping I can use the force reductions to my advantage. My career field and year group are eligible for voluntary separation which is ideal conditions but not everyone that volunteers will necessarily get approved. I'll keep updating as I learn more about how this process is really going to work through the monster that is AFPC.

bmather9

Update on the process: finally took ASTB today and scores seemed to be pretty average with 50 7/7/7. I finally got medical paperwork signed off which should be routing down south now. It's only a matter of time before NAMI finds something I need to have verified or resubmitted correctly (so I hear). I plan on discussing options with my commander in the next week or so to start the process of applying for conditional release. I'm really hoping I can use the force reductions to my advantage. My career field and year group are eligible for voluntary separation which is ideal conditions but not everyone that volunteers will necessarily get approved. I'll keep updating as I learn more about how this process is really going to work through the monster that is AFPC.

Sounds like you're on track, but have you checked with the Naval Aviation career field manager to see if they actually have spots available for interservice transfers? In my case there were none available.

mareid2

pilot
Sounds like you're on track, but have you checked with the Naval Aviation career field manager to see if they actually have spots available for interservice transfers? In my case there were none available.
Just called down to the Head Aviation OCM and they do have slots available for IST--not sure if they are based on year group or year that you are applying for the transfer but either way he said they are open. That's another huge weight off my chest hearing that! Not knowing anything factual on that has been nerve-racking..

bmather9

Just called down to the Head Aviation OCM and they do have slots available for IST--not sure if they are based on year group or year that you are applying for the transfer but either way he said they are open. That's another huge weight off my chest hearing that! Not knowing anything factual on that has been nerve-racking..

That's great news! Keep updating this thread from time to time as you are not the only guy I know interested in this kind of thing.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Inter-service Transfer / Inter-service Commisison quotas are assinged annually. Eligibility for those quotas is (partially) based on the YG of the applicant. An individual needs to be junior enough to get through flight training and into the fleet with enough time to remain competitive for promotion and milestone billets. It doesn't do the Navy any good to burn an accession quota on someone who is DOA.

mareid2

pilot
Inter-service Transfer / Inter-service Commisison quotas are assinged annually. Eligibility for those quotas is (partially) based on the YG of the applicant. An individual needs to be junior enough to get through flight training and into the fleet with enough time to remain competitive for promotion and milestone billets. It doesn't do the Navy any good to burn an accession quota on someone who is DOA.
Seems logical enough to me... Anyway, this FY has slots, I'm not sure about the next so I'm hoping to get everything in and done before 1 Oct. NM3 (?) that reviewed my med paperwork said that what I've sent in is good, now I have to tack on a couple other measurements, security paperwork and Air Force approval and mail my completed package in. The lady from Pers-803 I spoke with said that the process generally takes about a year from start to finish but because I already have some done, there may be a slim chance I get it done in FY14.

bmather9

I understand that this is the way things work in the military, but honestly think that this is a useless restriction. If someone transferred services to get the job they want, then why could they not take a demotion or maintain their current rank for longer time to spend valuable time in the fleet?

mareid2

pilot
I understand that this is the way things work in the military

Having been through this process, do you (or anyone for that matter) know at what level the DD 368 has to be approved for authorized release from AF? The instructions say Unit Commander or designated representative, but I find it very hard to believe a Lt Col, SQ/CC can give me permission to terminate my service commitment early... I don't want to waste time sending up an application without proper authority.

bmather9

Having been through this process, do you (or anyone for that matter) know at what level the DD 368 has to be approved for authorized release from AF? The instructions say Unit Commander or designated representative, but I find it very hard to believe a Lt Col, SQ/CC can give me permission to terminate my service commitment early... I don't want to waste time sending up an application without proper authority.

To be honest I never did figure the DD 368 out. My situation might be a bit different than yours since I went from Active USAF to Army National Guard. From what I remember, there was a process in place for active to active called inter-service transfer (or blue to green in my case), and another process for going from active to national guard called "palace chase". Unfortunately neither of these applied to my situation since I was both transferring branches and from active to guard simultaneously. I had to essentially separate from the USAF and swear in the the Army Nat'l Guard the next day to avoid a break in service.

In my case I just had my Lt Col SQ/CC sign the 368 as more of a formality. The real process went through AFPC (via the vMPF computer system). This process seemed to more or less replace the 368 as it forwarded my info for seperation electronically through my chain of command until it was officially approved. I do believe there was an option for "interservice tranfer" in the vMPF system, but I couldn't use it since it technically didn't apply to my situation.

I'd suggest you talk to the personnel center on the base, and not the enlisted person working the front desk; tell them you need an officer because mostly likely no one will know how to help you. Additionally find a phone number for AFPC and give them a call to find out what they can tell you about how the process works. Lastly, maybe someone better informed can chime in, but I believe Navy Personnel Command had some good info on the process from the navy's side. Between all of those you should be able to piece together the puzzle. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it pans out.

mareid2

pilot
After getting my letters of recommendation together, I've finally sent in my package to AFPC for my conditional release. Supposedly takes up to 8 weeks to get the decision but I hear it took 6 months to hear back for a package sent up last summer... hopefully I'll be able to post good news sooner than later, if at all...

Noggin

Welp, I'm joining this fine club. Tested CV normal on my USAFA PEPP in 2009, graduated 2010, went to grad school for 3 years, PCS'ed to Laughlin, and started UPT Phase 1. On the first day, I looked at this bizarre CCT contraption I had never seen before. Kept scoring 70/100 on my greens and showing up mildly deficient. Completed Phase 1 successfully but found out my waiver came back from AFMSA denied (shocker! not). My ETP is on its way through Wing and should be at AETC within 2 weeks. And so the waiting game continues.

Here's how mild I am: I always ace the PIPs (14/14 in each eye on my PEPP) and I ace the D-15, 15/15. I took a 'practice' Hue-100 and got a score of 14. Yes, 14. The particular CCT they chose to send up shows 90/100 right eye, 65/100 left eye for green. I felt like I was going to be the first CCT false negative....if only. So, like many, for the first time in my life, I find out I am technically CVD while being pretty much indistinguishable from CVN except on the CCT and anomaloscope.

That's the short synopsis of my life at the moment. It's both depressing and encouraging after reading bmather's story. I'm lucky that I have full Wing support and my squadron CC is fully behind me (the flight docs here are as well). However, if my ETP gets flushed back down denied, I have less flexibility than someone from ROTC/OCS with a USAFA background and an additional grad school ADSC.

You guys in this process, I'd certainly like to chat you up and compare notes. Looks like bmather hasn't been on here in a couple weeks though (Facebook messaged him). Reid, PM me when you have some time.

What a nightmare AF medicine is. I feel pretty bad being so apathetic on the topic in the past only to have it bite me on the day I thought I'd start fulfilling my dream!

bmather9

Welp, I'm joining this fine club. Tested CV normal on my USAFA PEPP in 2009, graduated 2010, went to grad school for 3 years, PCS'ed to Laughlin, and started UPT Phase 1. On the first day, I looked at this bizarre CCT contraption I had never seen before. Kept scoring 70/100 on my greens and showing up mildly deficient. Completed Phase 1 successfully but found out my waiver came back from AFMSA denied (shocker! not). My ETP is on its way through Wing and should be at AETC within 2 weeks. And so the waiting game continues.

Here's how mild I am: I always ace the PIPs (14/14 in each eye on my PEPP) and I ace the D-15, 15/15. I took a 'practice' Hue-100 and got a score of 14. Yes, 14. The particular CCT they chose to send up shows 90/100 right eye, 65/100 left eye for green. I felt like I was going to be the first CCT false negative....if only. So, like many, for the first time in my life, I find out I am technically CVD while being pretty much indistinguishable from CVN except on the CCT and anomaloscope.

That's the short synopsis of my life at the moment. It's both depressing and encouraging after reading bmather's story. I'm lucky that I have full Wing support and my squadron CC is fully behind me (the flight docs here are as well). However, if my ETP gets flushed back down denied, I have less flexibility than someone from ROTC/OCS with a USAFA background and an additional grad school ADSC.

You guys in this process, I'd certainly like to chat you up and compare notes. Looks like bmather hasn't been on here in a couple weeks though (Facebook messaged him). Reid, PM me when you have some time.

What a nightmare AF medicine is. I feel pretty bad being so apathetic on the topic in the past only to have it bite me on the day I thought I'd start fulfilling my dream!

I still try to keep up with this thread; I've sent you a private message with my email address. Yours is the first case I've seen where you actually started UPT. Keep us all posted on your progress. Fight the good fight and let me know if I can help.

mareid2

pilot
My conditional release from the AF was recently approved and I mailed my package to the Navy personnelists this morning. After talking with the aviation community manager it sounds like all of FY15 slots are already claimed for the service academies. There are still slots avail for this year so if I can miraculously get all my paperwork through NAVPERSCOM prior to 30 Sep this year, I might stand a decent chance still.

Anyone have any good contacts down there in TN? More specifically in PERS-803? I've called a few folks and left voicemails but haven't had any luck hearing back from anyone...