• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

US AIRWAYS Crash in the Hudson River

Would most crews take the same actions as Flight 1549 and be as successful?

• YES.

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • NO.

Votes: 27 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I find it interesting that the news was saying tonight that ditching was not that uncommon. From what I know there has only been a handful of successful commercial jetliner ditchings, and this is the first one where everyone survived.

This one was not so successful. Before any criticism of the aircraft's attitude, let it be known the pilot was fighting for his life against a couple intoxicated hijackers while trying to dead-stick a 767 into the Indian Ocean.

East

东部
Contributor
Great airmanship.

If he was an AF F-4 driver, then he particularly liked the 80:1 glide ratio (or whatever) of the A-320. The F-4 had a glide ratio of about 2:1 (IOW it was an aerodynamic brick).

Great airmanship.
With a glide ratio of 16:1 @ 3000 ft it gave the flightcrew 2.5 to 3 minutes to decide what to do above NYC with a dual powerloss.

Rated:Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane single and multi engine land, Commercial privileges; Glider, A320, B737, DC9/MD80, Learjet. 19.000 hours.
Certificated Flight Instructor (airplane single and multi engine,Glider, Instrument Airplane).

The fact that the Capt is a certified glider flight instr as well played a huge roll as well.

"Kudos to the crew" :thumbup_1 as one of the passengers stated on national TV.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Great airmanship.
With a glide ratio of 16:1 @ 3000 ft it gave the flightcrew 2.5 to 3 minutes to decide what to do above NYC with a dual powerloss.

Rated:Airline Transport Pilot, Airplane single and multi engine land, Commercial privileges; Glider, A320, B737, DC9/MD80, Learjet. 19.000 hours.
Certificated Flight Instructor (airplane single and multi engine,Glider, Instrument Airplane).

The fact that the Capt is a certified glider flight instr as well played a huge roll as well.

"Kudos to the crew" :thumbup_1 as one of the passengers stated on national TV.

It's not the first time a glider rating may have helped save lives. Remember that guy that slipped a 747 onto a closed airstrip while going over under around and thru a car rally/gathering of some kind. I don't think anyone got a scratch. (not same same as a water landing though by any means)

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
^Lets all go out and get glider ratings, high five and sip fuzzy navels. Somewhere in every pilots training, you talk about and execute power loss scenarios. Haven't we all flown gliders then??? Yeah, Yeah, I know its all different, blah blah blah. IT WAS OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE HE HAD A GLIDER RATING RIGHT??? wtfe.:eek:

Above merger stuff is for real, also think about being able to pick your schedule to line up with family life with 23yr FO seniority. That's how it works. Some folks don't upgrade, better to be the most senior bitch than the most junior captain. Piloting prowess in this business ain't 100% of the game.. its probably less than 50. Top Gun weenises are kung foo masters of briefing the hell out of a flight, falling on their Top Gun swords, and telling you all about the mistakes everyone made. 2 out of 3 passes the grad hop, flying (execution of all that blabbering) doesn't matter as much.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not the first time a glider rating may have helped save lives. Remember that guy that slipped a 747 onto a closed airstrip while going over under around and thru a car rally/gathering of some kind. I don't think anyone got a scratch. (not same same as a water landing though by any means)

It was actually an Air Canada 767 that ran out of fuel because they didn't fill 'er up, it was called the 'Gimli Glider' because it landed at a former RCAF in that town. There was a miscalculation in the fuel load because of recent change from the Imperial system of measurement to the metric system in Canada along with a few other mistakes.

Here is a full description of the incident:

Gimli Glider

Wikipedia page

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
^Lets all go out and get glider ratings, high five and sip fuzzy navels. Somewhere in every pilots training, you talk about and execute power loss scenarios. Haven't we all flown gliders then??? Yeah, Yeah, I know its all different, blah blah blah. IT WAS OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE HE HAD A GLIDER RATING RIGHT??? wtfe.:eek:

Well that and the "ditch button".....:)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Who knows if it helped, but it probably didn't hurt. And FYI, our syallabi in training or the sim never goes over dead-sticking a plane with 4 feathered props (we have the EP for ditching, we talk about it, but never simulate in the sim). Perhaps that aircraft/company does; dunno.

I'm pretty sure many would be having a helmet fire, so it was more (as said by many) the crew being sharp when things got quiet in the cockpit and perhaps getting to just above Vs before putting it in the waves.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Seems to me like this crew did their job, but probably did no better than the great majority of crews would do.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who knows if it helped, but it probably didn't hurt. And FYI, our syallabi in training or the sim never goes over dead-sticking a plane with 4 feathered props (we have the EP for ditching, we talk about it, but never simulate in the sim). Perhaps that aircraft/company does; dunno.

I thought that the preferred option for Hercs was to bailout, it was my understanding that your planes had a tendancy to 'shatter' when they ditched.

Under 3.3.5:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/docs/c-130-bar.htm

FlyinRock

Seems to me like this crew did their job, but probably did no better than the great majority of crews would do.
I think that is one of the most appropriate statements regarding this accident.
The new media will glorify the pilot but he only did what any of us might do? Get the fucking thing down without killing anybody. When the emergency happens you have little time to figure out what to do and you better have a game plan well before the fact. Isn't that is what training and practice is all about?
The fortunate part of this was the shallow water allowing everyone to get out without holding their breath for :10 minutes. I'll bet it was cold though .....

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

It was a 767 in Gimly Canada, AKA the Gimly Glider. Landed on an drag strip that used to be a runway.

gimlix.jpg

On another note, I found a picture over at PPRUNE of the ditching, you can see the jet in the upper right hand corner.

This little tidbit caught my eye:

"Sullenberger's co-pilot was Jeff Skiles, 49, of Oregon, Wis., a 23-year US Airways veteran."

23 years and still a first officer?!

And... great job by the crew. I think the 'miracle' word is being thrown around to losely. It sounds like it was just a crew and captain that had its shit together.

Welcome to the life of an airline pilot. Cost cuts, furghloads, and flowback. I guarantee you he was a CAPT at some point prior to USAir laying off pilots with hire dates all the way back to the 80's. A4's can tell you all about that, I'm really surprised he hasn't weighed in yet.

Attachments

• usa_a320_n106us_us1549_lga_090115_4.jpg
    usa_a320_n106us_us1549_lga_090115_4.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 164

Flugelman

Contributor
I think that is one of the most appropriate statements regarding this accident.
The new media will glorify the pilot but he only did what any of us might do? Get the fucking thing down without killing anybody. When the emergency happens you have little time to figure out what to do and you better have a game plan well before the fact. Isn't that is what training and practice is all about?
The fortunate part of this was the shallow water allowing everyone to get out without holding their breath for :10 minutes. I'll bet it was cold though .....

And conversely, for example, the Delta Flt 191 disaster at DFW back in '85. The pilot took a lot of blame for that crash. I have always contended that most airline pilots would have flown that same approach, with the same results. I say this with the understanding that I do not have the experience or training of said pilots.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
And conversely, for example, the Delta Flt 191 disaster at DFW back in '85. The pilot took a lot of blame for that crash. I have always contended that most airline pilots would have flown that same approach, with the same results. I say this with the understanding that I do not have the experience or training of said pilots.

Exactly, very little was known about wind shear and microbursts at the time. That crash opened everyones eyes, and he reacted the way 99% of pilots would have. Sucks to be the guinea pig, or in his case the catalyst.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As those in the know, most of the posts by AW members here have referred to the "flight crew" and even given due credit to the flight attendants. But predictably, everyone else is falling over themselves with praise for the Captain and even his glider training. Have you seen anywhere that the Captain was actually the pilot flying that leg? It is just as likely the first officer was actually flying the aircraft. Captain gets the credit for the ultimate overall outcome as he is the guy with the strips. But praise of his piloting stills may be misplaced.