• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No sweat if you can't find them, you'll just get all the shots again. Obviously it's easier on you if you can find them, but the only reason to have them is to save yourself getting the shots again.

Not entirely true. Corpsmen love to pull that, it's happened to everybody, including me. But talking to some doctors, apparently there are certain vaccines you should not get more than scheduled (i.e., X times in adulthood or every Y months); it can compromise the immunizaton efficacy or cause medical problems. Make every effort to find or re-create your vax record, and sanity check it every time you're told you need a shot again.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
Is it worth going to my PCP and getting immunizations now in anticipation of OCS? I don't recall getting anything recently so I'm sure I'm due for all/most of them.

headinclouds

I tried contacting my Pediatrician about my medical records, still have not been able to get a hold of them (granted still 3 months out from OCS). At this point I figure it might not be so bad to just get all the vaccinations I need there and have current records.
Not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a blood test will tell you what vaccines you have and which ones you need. I did this back a few years ago and my doc called me back saying, "you show antibodies for x, but need to be revaccinated for y due to a lack of antibodies."

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure a blood test will tell you what vaccines you have and which ones you need. I did this back a few years ago and my doc called me back saying, "you show antibodies for x, but need to be revaccinated for y due to a lack of antibodies."
Yeah...Navy's not going to bother doing that. They want to see a record of vax.

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
Never hurts to bring EVERYTHING medical/dental/vaccination. As for the needed items, follow the list the OCS website gives you and you can't go wrong. Bring a watch. It will help with time management later on.

America

Never hurts to bring EVERYTHING medical/dental/vaccination. As for the needed items, follow the list the OCS website gives you and you can't go wrong. Bring a watch. It will help with time management later on.
Hi there,

I'm compiling a list of things to bring and am finding the information to be conflicting. The ocs.navy.mil website has a significantly less list than the OCS guidebook - which list do you recommend I follow? Should I bring the crew neck shirts, socks, and bath towels? Or will these items be made available there without a hassle?

Your input is much appreciated!

JonSmith89

Another 60R Driver
pilot
Hi there,
I'm compiling a list of things to bring and am finding the information to be conflicting. The ocs.navy.mil website has a significantly less list than the OCS guidebook - which list do you recommend I follow? Should I bring the crew neck shirts, socks, and bath towels? Or will these items be made available there without a hassle?
Your input is much appreciated!

I too found it conflicting when I was prepping. Unfortunately it seemed like things were changing as far as what you needed to buy and what was "issued".

I would suggest buying your own higher quality white t-shirts (Jockey brand) since you will be using them in the Navy anyway. Higher quality and thicker socks will help because they are more comfortable than the ones you get. If it makes you more comfortable definitely bring a towel or two of your own.

If in doubt.. bring it anyway. Candio's will give you a chance to stash away your unneeded items. I found OCS to be pretty rewarding and they run the program quite well. Just keep that chin up, scream your lungs out, and do your best at everything you do.

America

I too found it conflicting when I was prepping. Unfortunately it seemed like things were changing as far as what you needed to buy and what was "issued".

I would suggest buying your own higher quality white t-shirts (Jockey brand) since you will be using them in the Navy anyway. Higher quality and thicker socks will help because they are more comfortable than the ones you get. If it makes you more comfortable definitely bring a towel or two of your own.

If in doubt.. bring it anyway. Candio's will give you a chance to stash away your unneeded items. I found OCS to be pretty rewarding and they run the program quite well. Just keep that chin up, scream your lungs out, and do your best at everything you do.
Awesome, thanks so much for the input! All the help is much appreciated.

Garrett S.

They can and will check for vaccines at OCS, it isn't 100 percent and it can't verify all of the ones you'll need. If I recall, I got to skip three or four of them because of my blood work.

Garrett S.

When I left in Feb there were plans to overhaul the list of what to bring. The senior leadership sincerely don't want candidates spending any more than they have to. If you have white T-Shirts you can have them so long as they are not anything crazy like under armor moisture wicking or something like that. Look at a standard pair of every day Hanes and if they look similar than you should be fine. Keep in mind though that the Candios will be "interpreting" guidance as well which is part of the training. So if you get there and they don't like the socks or whatever other item you brought than you likely won't see then until after a few weeks when you are more familiar with the regs yourself and have access to your lucky bag.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
So when they say "white basic brief/underwear" is this a boxer brief or "tighty whitey"?
This has been discussed quite thoroughly on this site. Your underwear will not be inspected. Wear what you feel would be the most comfortable whether it be boxers, boxer briefs, tighty-whities.
Staff will not see your underwear unless you show it to them for some strange reason.