• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Updated list of things to bring?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Is anyone else having a hard time tracking down immunization records? What happens if you cannot get a hold of these for OCS check-in?
No sweat if you can't find them, you'll just get all the shots again. Obviously it's easier on you if you can find them, but the only reason to have them is to save yourself getting the shots again.

LET73

No sweat if you can't find them, you'll just get all the shots again. Obviously it's easier on you if you can find them, but the only reason to have them is to save yourself getting the shots again.
I've gotten all my shots again at almost every command I've checked into since joining the Navy. I'm, like, super immune. The "almost" is my current command; I didn't need a single shot when I got here, and I was coming from a joint command where the Chair Force had my records. I was shocked when the corpsman let me leave, un-vaccinated.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I've gotten all my shots again at almost every command I've checked into since joining the Navy. I'm, like, super immune. The "almost" is my current command; I didn't need a single shot when I got here, and I was coming from a joint command where the Chair Force had my records. I was shocked when the corpsman let me leave, un-vaccinated.
That seems weird, unless you had something like two years in each command. I didn't need them at API or here at Primary, so OCS is the only command that has required me to get my shots. Although it makes sense, since everyone's living in close quarters there, they really wanna make sure you don't have TB for example.

EDIT: I just realized you're an LT, I thought you were one of the applicants with prior service. Everyone's got an Archer avatar, it's hard to keep track.

LET73

That seems weird, unless you had something like two years in each command. I didn't need them at API or here at Primary, so OCS is the only command that has required me to get my shots. Although it makes sense, since everyone's living in close quarters there, they really wanna make sure you don't have TB for example.

EDIT: I just realized you're an LT, I thought you were one of the applicants with prior service. Everyone's got an Archer avatar, it's hard to keep track.
Ha, yeah, it was something like two years at each command. My avatar used to be a picture of the time I tin-foiled my XO's office, but I'd had it for years and got sick of it, so I switched it. Only then did I realize that something like 90% of the other posters on here also snagged something from Archer. I figure as an intel weenie for seven years, I sort of earned it.

As far as OCS goes, I wish they'd had a vaccine for pinkeye. We all got it one day after a particularly long session in the SUYA. That was the same day we went to PSD to get our ID cards. My photo was awesome. I think the BCGs hid most of the gunk...

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
Ha, yeah, it was something like two years at each command. My avatar used to be a picture of the time I tin-foiled my XO's office, but I'd had it for years and got sick of it, so I switched it. Only then did I realize that something like 90% of the other posters on here also snagged something from Archer. I figure as an intel weenie for seven years, I sort of earned it.

As far as OCS goes, I wish they'd had a vaccine for pinkeye. We all got it one day after a particularly long session in the SUYA. That was the same day we went to PSD to get our ID cards. My photo was awesome. I think the BCGs hid most of the gunk...
sorry about archer...I've heard that it's best to practice not touching your face a lot before you go, something like you don't realize how much you do it till you get pink eye there...thoughts?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Our sister company had an outbreak of pinkeye. We were all terrified it was gonna jump over to our hallway. There was one OC in our company we were almost completely certain he'd gotten it, but he was like "Oh no guys, it's fine, it's just really itchy and red." "...Yeah, no shit dude, that's pinkeye."

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
sorry about archer...I've heard that it's best to practice not touching your face a lot before you go, something like you don't realize how much you do it till you get pink eye there...thoughts?
By all means, practice not touching your face before you go. Because God help you if a DI catches you doing that (for that exact reason, they don't want another pinkeye outbreak) (but also because they don't want you moving during drill). If you're looking to actively practice something before shipping out, try just standing at attention for a long time without twitching or scratching or the like, since you'll do quite a bit of that. Also, put on some Gaffigan or Regan or Dane Cook or whoever does it for you, and practice not laughing. Hell, try not laughing at Archer.
"Are they all black, Woodhouse? Or are five of them black and five of them slightly darker black?"

LET73

Yeah, try not to touch your face. But...
Our sister company had an outbreak of pinkeye. We were all terrified it was gonna jump over to our hallway. There was one OC in our company we were almost completely certain he'd gotten it, but he was like "Oh no guys, it's fine, it's just really itchy and red." "...Yeah, no shit dude, that's pinkeye."
...sometimes it just sort of travels through the sand and into everyone's eyes.

And that's how we get ants pinkeye.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
By all means, practice not touching your face before you go. Because God help you if a DI catches you doing that (for that exact reason, they don't want another pinkeye outbreak) (but also because they don't want you moving during drill). If you're looking to actively practice something before shipping out, try just standing at attention for a long time without twitching or scratching or the like, since you'll do quite a bit of that. Also, put on some Gaffigan or Regan or Dane Cook or whoever does it for you, and practice not laughing. Hell, try not laughing at Archer.
"Are they all black, Woodhouse? Or are five of them black and five of them slightly darker black?"
or get good at this?...

Surf

pilot
I tried contacting my Pediatrician about my medical records, still have not been able to get a hold of them (granted still 3 months out from OCS). At this point I figure it might not be so bad to just get all the vaccinations I need there and have current records.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
or get good at this?...
That's the single most unsettling and terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life. I can't even imagine how a DI might react if someone did that in the middle of drill.
Noises in general are no bueno, so no coughing or sneezing. That wasn't as big a deal as I expected, I just never really felt like sneezing during drill. Although when we were going in for chow, our prez, who was in the front of the formation, was trying to stifle a sneeze. A passing DI saw his contorted face and asked him just what in the hell he was doing. "Holding in a sneeze, sir." "WELL, LET IT OUT. Bad shit happens when you hold it in!" He was subsequently RPT'ed when his sneeze wasn't particularly loud or vicious.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I tried contacting my Pediatrician about my medical records, still have not been able to get a hold of them (granted still 3 months out from OCS). At this point I figure it might not be so bad to just get all the vaccinations I need there and have current records.
Yeah it's not so bad, it's mostly an inconvenience, plus a bruise from the intramuscular shot. Although it did suck having that sore arm going into the mid-PFA.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I'm taking Tycho_Brohe advice and going to listen to comedians with a straight face...i enjoy laughing so this is going to take some practice

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
If something tickles my funny bone, I will think of this and do everything I can to hold back my man tears.