• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning from helos 2 fixed wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crash2 said:
Thanks BCH i meant no offense to the helo community, i didnt mean to rub anyone the wrong way. i think you guys are awesome, and have nothing but respect for anyone that can fly anything, even if its a parachute with a fan and seat attached to it. we are all interconnected to each other no matter what we fly and share an understanding with each other that non-aviators will never know.
i just have my fixed wing mentality because thats what ive been in for over 200 hours. im very open minded, the most open minded person i know, and make the best of whatever situation im put in. im sorry i came across as closed minded with a jets or bust attitude, but if i do get "stuck" flying helos, i will still be very happy and become the best helo pilot i can be, thanks for being so cool and understanding about this BCH.
Not to pile on, but here goes:

Cocky bastard indeed! You're talking about your instrument rating separating the men from the boys with 200 hours? WTF, over? 200 hours isn't squat, and if you think it is, then it's time for a reality check. WRT your other post about how military flying is just like civil flying with a few minor differences - time for another reality check. Military flying is COMPLETELY different from everything you have ecperienced up to this point. Just like so many of the other wannabes on this site, YOU HAVE EXACTLY ZERO EXPERIENCE. Perhaps I'm being a little harsh. Flying your light civil at 100 kts on the airways is actually alot like flying around the boat (with a different checklist, of course)...oh wait, IT'S NOT. Well, at least doing a barrel roll in your light civil is kind of like flying 580 kts at 100 ft on a low level while being shot at and having to keep track of your -2...oh wait, that's not the same either.

I hate to have to be a d!ck about things, but all of these unrealistic and outrageous attitudes CAN NOT GO UNCORRECTED!

End of rant,

Brett

Reactions: bch

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Okay Crash;
I guess you really should stop your posts because of all the bashings you will recieve. I do agree to the fact that having prior experience is of little to no help in military flight training. I had a guy in my squadron with over 500 hours. He did not do that well, got T-1's when he wanted T-38s (mind you that most of his AF counterparts with little to no experience did get jets). I think that the reason for this maybe because he came in thinking he is going to do better than anyone else. He actually said that the only thing he really felt confident about was radio calls and that is it. Really, No Kidding.

Dude, once you do get accepted and get here; you will have to have an open mind to learn and really forget most of what you learned in your prior civilian flying life. It's a whole different ball game and prior flight experience is a plus but doesn't guarentee that you will be simply brilliant. Since you want jets or fixed wings, I can gaurentee most of us didn't have many hours at all other then the 24 IFS hours. So please, do not rely too heavily on your flight experience. You have more then me right now, I have less then 130 hours even after primary and this includes the IFS hours :icon_mi_1 ....

Don't think this post is meant for any bashing, Not At All. Just a little advice. Take Care and best of luck.

Reactions: Pap

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
because insturments are what separate the men from the boys no matter what you fly

Yo Crash, they don't start you out in jets fly weps dropping "blue deaths" or flying the ball at the field or the boat or ACM for that matter. They start you out in basic instruments then radio instruments, ILS at mins, Hi-TACs at mins, ****....who cares, you are expected to be able to fly that sh!t. The boat, the bombs, the fight...thats the men from the boys...and its not even that....its wings or a walk of shame. This isn't my ideal...just whats been instilled since I have been here, which hasn't been long.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
First, I want to thank Crash for providing some of the best quotes in a while. Some pretty funny stuff, thanks.

Crash2 said:
insturments are what separate the men from the boys no matter what you fly.

So why is qualifying on the aircraft carrier supposed to be your final flight in Jet school??

Dude, I don’t blame you for sounding like a complete ass. You just don’t know what naval aviation is. I wish you luck with your goals.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Crash2,
In my short time in the military, the most important thing I have learned is that, no matter how well I do, I don't know JACK.

I know it might seem like you're getting burned, but take the advice of those (not me) who have achieved their ultimate goals.

And don't forget about that little "Officer first, Aviator second" thing. It's in the fine print. Best of luck to ya,
-G

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
T37Driver said:
Okay Crash;
I do agree to the fact that having prior experience is of little to no help in military flight training. I had a guy in my squadron with over 500 hours. He did not do that well, got T-1's when he wanted T-38s (mind you that most of his AF counterparts with little to no experience did get jets). I think that the reason for this maybe because he came in thinking he is going to do better than anyone else

I disagree with the prior flight time issue. I believe a lot of civilian flight time will help. However, on that same note, the person with the prior flight time needs to have the capability as well. Meaning, that prior flight time pilot would have made it through the program regardless, flight time or not. If a person with 500 flight hours flunks out of the program, he or she wasn't going to make it regardless. If you already have the ability to make it through the program, then extra flight time is only going to benefit. Of course things like air-to-air gunnery, air-to-ground, BFM, 4-plane form, CQ, night CQ :eek: are things that normally are not taught on the civilian side and will take some skill to accomplish.

Like someone said above, military flying and civilian flying just do not compare. I've done a little bit of civilian and its intensity just isn't there. Just take flight school for example, the competitveness and general intensity of the training is second to none. Hell, I fly a cargo plane from the boat and the **** I've done is most likely like nothing most civilian types experience and that's besides the carrier flying.

By the way, Crash, if you were to make it into the flight program and succeed, you should be so lucky to fly Helo's in the US Navy or Marine Corps. I'll bet you the flying is like nothing you've ever experienced and something that only a lucky few will ever experience. A good buddy of mine, a Marine CH-53 driver, flew 25 combat missions in OIF. Helo flying, brother, is all it's cracked up to be and more.

Reactions: bch

Broadsword2004

Just a suggestion, but maybe you guys who run the forums should put up some stickies consisting of links to previous threads (like this one) for people who come asking these questions about "can they transition aircraft," "do they have a chance at getting accepted, etc...." I mean I know I asked some of these questions when I first arrived here (I asked quite a few actually), which to long-timers here probably seemed like a huge annoyance since they seem so common. Perhaps stickies can change that.

There is the Search feature too, but some people may not initally notice that upon coming to the site (I myself didn't notice it at first), so I mean don't think everyone simply ignores it.

CandKyMarine

Just to cement what everyone else is saying... prior flight time is NO indication of how well you are going to preform in the Naval Aviation program. Just because you can fly does not mean you'll even make it to primary. In API, we had 2 not make it through the program... guess what... both toted how many hours they had and what ratings they earned. One was a CFI and the other flew comercially. One was DQ'd for "unofficerlike qualities" and the other only had a 28 NSS at the end of API.
Both came in acting s*** hot and went home at the end of 6 weeks with their tails between their legs.
Just another morsal of food for thought

Crash2

im just basing my posts from what ive heard from people i know that have already been through the navy program. these are some direct quotes from them.

"Nothing I have gone through yet has been hard, academics, flying, and simulators."

"Instruments weigh the most on your grade so thats were you really want to concentrate on."

"The main difference from civil aviation training here is that the Navy is going to push you through the pipelines as fast as possible and the training is more advanced."

"If you study hard, in Primary and you can fly the plane (which I know you can), then I can almost guarantee that you will get what you want."

Im just getting conflicting information from these various people i know and what you all are saying. they say its not hard, yall make it sound like its the hardest thing in the world. I know the training in the military is way different and alot more advanced and fast paced. its just something new im gonna have to learn like everyone else. i absorb new information like a sponge, and have been told i have hand eye coordination and multi tasking skills that they never thought possible.

i have excellent study habbits and will lock myself up in a room 8 hours a day if i have to to become the best. and the fact that i love flying and ill be getting paid to do this will be that much more motivation for me to work harder. i hated studying in college for hours upon end just to get an A, but i did it anyway. Im not being cocky either, im just confident in my skills have a drive to be the best.

i know 200+ hours isnt squat, i have an uncle with over 30,000 hours that flies for american, but he says im probably a better instrument pilot than he is because he always uses the auto pilot and his instrument skills are very rusty. but from what the people i know are telling me the 200+ hours and 4 years of being emersed in an aviation community and studies is a huge advantage over some with 0 hours and no aviation knowledge what so ever.

i know im green and fresh pickins for everyone to take shots at, so keep em coming i have no problem with people telling me whats what. ive been picked on or laughed at my whole life because i was not as physically mature or knowledgeable as everyone else, but i remained confident. through my sheer will power and determination i ended up standing at the top while they were no where to be found. im glad some of you find me amusing, i dont mind being here for your entertainment. but we all have to start somewhere, just remember your beginings and how you felt not knowing anything. thanks for those of you that are being supportive.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Primary wasn't hard for me, per se. I worked very hard, but it wasn't terribly difficult. That being said, it's completely different from civilian training. I got my PPL right before API and the military just does things different. Now, I'm waiting to start TS and I've looked over some of the materials. I will tell you this, just from reading I can tell you that you will never do anything on the civilian side as you would on the tactical jet side. That goes the same for helos and props.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
"If you study hard, in Primary and you can fly the plane (which I know you can), then I can almost guarantee that you will get what you want."

I'm sorry, but while the rest of the comments may or may not be correct, this comment is assinine. Crash, you should slap the cr@p out of the friend that told you this.

Nobody can predict what they are going to get from one week to the next. Anyone that thinks that a high NSS guarantees you "what you want" is full of it, unless what you want is simply to fly for the Navy (and even that is not necessarily assured these days).

I hope that this works out for you and I hope that you are a good pilot, and if your friends contradict what you read here then perhaps you should believe them over us.

Your call.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Crash2 said:
im just basing my posts from what ive heard from people i know that have already been through the navy program. these are some direct quotes from them.

"Nothing I have gone through yet has been hard, academics, flying, and simulators."

"Instruments weigh the most on your grade so thats were you really want to concentrate on."

"The main difference from civil aviation training here is that the Navy is going to push you through the pipelines as fast as possible and the training is more advanced."

Im just getting conflicting information from these various people i know and what you all are saying. they say its not hard, yall make it sound like its the hardest thing in the world. I know the training in the military is way different and alot more advanced and fast paced. its just something new im gonna have to learn like everyone else. i absorb new information like a sponge, and have been told i have hand eye coordination and multi tasking skills that they never thought possible.

i have excellent study habbits and will lock myself up in a room 8 hours a day if i have to to become the best. and the fact that i love flying and ill be getting paid to do this will be that much more motivation for me to work harder. i hated studying in college for hours upon end just to get an A, but i did it anyway. Im not being cocky either, im just confident in my skills have a drive to be the best.

i know 200+ hours isnt squat, i have an uncle with over 30,000 hours that flies for american, but he says im probably a better instrument pilot than he is because he always uses the auto pilot and his instrument skills are very rusty. but from what the people i know are telling me the 200+ hours and 4 years of being emersed in an aviation community and studies is a huge advantage over some with 0 hours and no aviation knowledge what so ever.

i know im green and fresh pickins for everyone to take shots at, so keep em coming i have no problem with people telling me whats what. ive been picked on or laughed at my whole life because i was not as physically mature or knowledgeable as everyone else, but i remained confident. through my sheer will power and determination i ended up standing at the top while they were no where to be found. im glad some of you find me amusing, i dont mind being here for your entertainment. but we all have to start somewhere, just remember your beginings and how you felt not knowing anything. thanks for those of you that are being supportive.

Last piece of advice, STOP FREAKING TOOTING YOUR OWN HORN! It will do nothing for you, except give you a reputation as "THAT GUY." And oh yes, right now you are THAT GUY!

You have had many WINGED navy/marine pilots give you good advice on this forum. IE, they have been through the training. Many had prior flight time, many did not. If you want to dismiss it as BS, go right ahead.... Good Luck to you.

Either way, do yourself a favor, close your mouth, and open your ears! Do you think you are the first "smart kid with lots of hours, good study habits and amazing airmanship skills" to try and get into NavAir? Tons of people each year, who are also so well qualifed, ATTRITE from the training commands.

Crash2

I know i dont know anything, and dont take anything ive seen on here as bs. im just taking what ive heard and what i gather on here and combining them into the reality of being a military pilot. i dont mind being "that guy" because the more i say or "stupid" things i ask the more i learn. in reality im the most modest, quiet, shy, and unspoken guy you will ever meet, i NEVER talk or open my mouth about anything, i just sit back and observe, and thats the way ill be when i go into OCS. but on here i ask, or speak what is on my mind to learn what i can and absorb as much info as possible even if it does seem stupid to some.

i dont care about getting ripped on or ragged on here because i know where ever i go there will always be synics and people trying to put me down or discourage me, because they fell short of achieving their dreams in life by getting the short end of the stick. and by putting me down it some how makes them feel so much better about themselves and their lives for some reason. theres not a doubt in my mind or anyone elses that knows me or is close to me that ill make it. weather i get jets, props, or helos, i will be extremely happy and make the best of it by playing the hand im dealt. if that doesnt convince people about my attitude or commitment to military flying then i dont know what will.

Status
Not open for further replies.