• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning from helos 2 fixed wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Work Hard, Do Your Best.

Crash2;
What you get has not only to do with your grades (NSS), but also your timing and most of all, Needs Of The Service. I initially got picked up for helos but a week later I was able to make a switch to jets (mind you that I did not start advanced but only have finished primary thus far)....

Once you get to primary, do your best and that is all you can do. I don't know how it will work at Whiting or Corpus, but here at Vance, it's good if you show your desire to get jets. Don't go in saying "JETS or NOTHING" but occassionally, when the IPs or the XO asks, it doesn't hurt to let them know that you are trying for jets out of primary. Also, if you excell at something in primary, be there for others in your flight who may not be up to par or who need help. Your attitude plays alot here at the Air Force Bases. I am really thankful to my CO and XO who were able to get me a jet slot but don't expect them to do anything if you don't have the grades OR if you were a complete ass during primary.

I really don't know if we are able to make a switch to after we are in one community. That transition must be pretty hard as stated above. Anyway, good luck dude.

Crash2

thanks t37driver, very useful and motivational information. my grades will be top notch and i have a very good attitude and mindset. i dont have that jets or bust mentality but do want fixed wing since there are more fixed wing jobs in the civilian world once i get out or retire. my old flight instructor got jets and says i shouldnt have any problems getting a SNA slot much less fixed wings with my high gpa, aviation degree, and flight background. thanks for the support and info.

T37Driver

Lone Warrior
Just keep a positive attitude regardless of what people say. Have fun at OCS. API is really cake ( I did have some problem with the swim though ) so just be ready. Your flight time does help but I only had 24 IFS hours before primary. It really varies from person to person especially at AF bases since all your AF counterparts have atleast 50 hours but a little hard work goes a long way. Also, don't hesitate coming to Vance or Moody for primary. Alot of Navy guys don't want it but trust me, it isn't bad at all and that 12 hour day crap doesn't last too long. Also, sandbagging in a T-38 after you're done is a real sweet deal. Good Luck to you and best wishes.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never be afraid to say you want jets. Don't be an a$$ about it though, such as "jets or die". No one likes those guys. But, if asked, tell them you want jets. If your command knows, and you have the right attitude and performance, they will try to help you out.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Crash2 said:
my grades will be top notch

Becareful with comments like that. I know a great many people who came in with XXX amount of hrs and ratings and finished pretty low after primary. If you take anything away from this post listen up.... Civi flying IS NOT military flying. There is a Navy way to do everything, does not matter if there is a "better" civi way to do it, you will have to learn the navy way.

FYI i had a civi liscense b4 joining, it helps a little, but by no means is it going to give you this enormous advantage. (and yes, I wanted helos hahah)

perchul

just to note you won't be "stuck" for 10 years doing helo's because the commitment is less (6 after winging, possibly 8 now I've heard) and then you can leave and be an ahole somewhere else.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
perchul2 said:
just to note you won't be "stuck" for 10 years doing helo's because the commitment is less (6 after winging, possibly 8 now I've heard) and then you can leave and be an ahole somewhere else.

Commitment for Jets, Helos, and Maritime are exactly the same. 8 years. They no longer use a graduated commitment.

perchul

Threadjack

Crash2 said:
i shouldnt have any problems getting a SNA slot much less fixed wings with my high gpa, aviation degree, and flight background. thanks for the support and info.

I've got a question; what exactly is an aviation degree? I assume its different then aeronautical engineering. I see people mention this degree and I just want to know what it entails...not that is something I wish to pursue for my masters or anything just curious.

Crash2

Bachelors in Aviation Science (i can give class specifics if you like), possible to pursue a masters in..... Im not being an ass about anything either ive just been around nothing but fixed wing for the last 5 years of my life. i trained and spent over $50k on my education to learn the aerodynamics, history, and regulations of fixed wing aircraft, they are just what i want to fly. if a helo guy spent that much and got all of his ratings to be a helo pilot he wouldnt want to be "stuck" flying fixed wings.

ive flown both types of aircraft before and by far enjoyed fixed wing flying alot more. i just have a fixed wing mentality and have talked to friends, family memebers, and old teachers who flew them in the military and they have the same mentality and think anything other than fixed wing is a waste of time since i would like to pursue a career in the civilian world after the military. sorry if my "stuck" comment came across as offensive but i didnt mean it to. if i do end up flyin helos for what ever reason ill take it and enjoy it, because thats where god wants me to be. so please stop ripping on me about it and calling me ahole im not trying to be, your just making me out to be one without prior knowledge of my background or who i am.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Crash,
This is by no way meant to be slanderous towards you, just some friendly advice.

The reason why a good deal of people have "ripped on you" over this topic is has to do with the HUGE numbers of people who come on this site and ask that same question over and over again. Also, when wording a post as you did (getting stuck with helos) tends to imply that flying helos is less important, glamorous, cool (whatever you get the point) and as such rubs some people the wrong way (myself included).

Also a huge number of wannabes are under the impression that if you are a helo pilot, you must have done poorly in flight training, or were just not good enough to be a jet pilot. Believe it or not, a good number of people who have prior civi (fixed wing) time truly love flying military helos. Flying around in a civilian helo (just as in fixed wing) does not even come close to representing what the military helo or fixed wing flying is about.

Just an example... while I was still in college, I was the total jet wannabe. I totally believed that helo pilots were a "lower grade pilot." After 1 flight at the controls of a CH-46 as a midi completely changed my mind. I had flown in an F-18 b4 and for me, (while the hornet was AWESOME) it could not even compare to the helo side of the house (in my opinion.) Anyway, my point, be open minded!!! You might just find that the military fixed wing community is not what you thought it was all about, or that it is exactly what you think it is. For me, it was a total attitude changing event.

If you have any question feel free to PM me.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As much as I like to give bch sh!t, he's one of the helo guys I know that truly loves it. PM him if you got questions, he'd be eager to answer.

Crash2

bch said:
Becareful with comments like that. I know a great many people who came in with XXX amount of hrs and ratings and finished pretty low after primary. If you take anything away from this post listen up.... Civi flying IS NOT military flying. There is a Navy way to do everything, does not matter if there is a "better" civi way to do it, you will have to learn the navy way.

FYI i had a civi liscense b4 joining, it helps a little, but by no means is it going to give you this enormous advantage. (and yes, I wanted helos hahah)

Ive heard different. many people i talked to that are flying in all branches of the military that had prior flight experience especially instrument experience like ive had and said it was a tremendous advantage, and was one of the main reasons they ended up getting to fly what they wanted to fly.

i can see how some hack pilots would go in with ratings that slipped through the cracks, and not perform well. because ive known alot of pilots that go take a crash course on insturment flying and get their rating in 2 weeks from santa clause. i guarantee they would not survive their first flight into the soup at ILS minimums if they had a vacum pump failure and had to fly partial panel. my instrument and flight training i recieved was top notch from one of the best 2 year flight schools in the country from which i graduated at the top of my class. ive looked at all the gouges for the flight classes, study materials, and tests and its all stuff ive seen before.

as far as Military flying as compared to civilian flying goes, the people i know that are in said it wasnt much different, just different procedures or checklists they had to learn, not hard to conform to at all. having a private pilots license is a joke, it just shows that you can buzz around the pattern and land a C-152. i can see how that would not help at all. but an insturment rating would seem to be very beneficial before going in, instruments are instruments and the principles are all the same. i heard instruments weigh the most on your grades during training. they should too because insturments are what separate the men from the boys no matter what you fly.

i know someone is gonna find some way to give me hell about this post. so bring on the flaming, im ready :icon_boxi

Crash2

Thanks BCH i meant no offense to the helo community, i didnt mean to rub anyone the wrong way. i think you guys are awesome, and have nothing but respect for anyone that can fly anything, even if its a parachute with a fan and seat attached to it. we are all interconnected to each other no matter what we fly and share an understanding with each other that non-aviators will never know.
i just have my fixed wing mentality because thats what ive been in for over 200 hours. im very open minded, the most open minded person i know, and make the best of whatever situation im put in. im sorry i came across as closed minded with a jets or bust attitude, but if i do get "stuck" flying helos, i will still be very happy and become the best helo pilot i can be, thanks for being so cool and understanding about this BCH.

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
Crash2 said:
i can see how some hack pilots would go in with ratings that slipped through the cracks, and not perform well. because ive known alot of pilots that go take a crash course on insturment flying and get their rating in 2 weeks from santa clause. my instrument and flight training i recieved was top notch from one of the best 2 year flight schools in the country from which i graduated at the top of my class. ive looked at all the gouges for the flight classes, study materials, and tests and its all stuff ive seen before.

Cocky little bastard, aren't you? I like it, but don't show up at API and Primary with that attitude, it just rubs people (peers and IPs) the wrong way. Nobody likes a know-it-all. Just use your knowledge and experience to help those that have no prior experience in aviation, like me, and you'll be well-received in flight school.

Reactions: bch

chazmurr

Crash2 said:
having a private pilots license is a joke, it just shows that you can buzz around the pattern and land a C-152.

Crash2 said:
i think you guys are awesome, and have nothing but respect for anyone that can fly anything, even if its a parachute with a fan and seat attached to it. we are all interconnected to each other no matter what we fly and share an understanding with each other that non-aviators will never know.

You are contradicting yourself, and proving to be quite ignorant about many things. Best of luck to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.