• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning from helos 2 fixed wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash2

If you dont get jets or props (fixed wing aircraft) which is what i want to fly, and get stuck flying helos because all the fixed wing slots were filled can you transition to fixed wing aircraft if something opens up down the road? or do you have to fill out your 10 year commitment in helos if thats what you are assigned to? please dont flame if this is a repost, i cant find anything on this subject here. im new and trying to get a straight answer, no one has been able to tell me for sure in other forums.

thx

chazmurr

do a search for transitions and look at all the topics to read.

Its not that hard people use the search button. I know it's not google, but still.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
phrogdriver said:
You made THIS your first post on Airwarriors?

No kidding, he didn't even ask about "his chances" for getting a fixed wing spot in the first place!

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you'd read the FAQ, you'd notice that your first post must be one of the following:

1) What are my chances?

2) How can I be a fighter pilot?

3) This guy zab told me an F-16 landed on a carrier, is it true?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Crash2 said:
If you dont get jets or props (fixed wing aircraft) which is what i want to fly, and get stuck flying helos because all the fixed wing slots were filled can you transition to fixed wing aircraft if something opens up down the road? or do you have to fill out your 10 year commitment in helos if thats what you are assigned to? please dont flame if this is a repost, i cant find anything on this subject here. im new and trying to get a straight answer, no one has been able to tell me for sure in other forums.

thx
There is an annual jet transition board that you can apply for after your initial sea tour. It is competitive and, as everything else, is dependant on how many slots there are, needs of the Navy, etc, so I wouldn't count on it. Having said that, there are at least 10 guys I know of in the Prowler community that used to fly helos. Big picture wise, one could probably make a sound argument that an elective transition decreases your likelyhood for success (read skipper slot).

Two axioms that you'll find as you peruse this forum:
Don't put your cart before your horse.
Don't knock it until you try it.

Hope that helps.

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
If you'd read the FAQ, you'd notice that your first post must be one of the following:

1) What are my chances?

2) How can I be a fighter pilot?

Squeeze, I love the face stab, second only to the ultra-satisfying pistol whip!

Good times,

Brett

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Crash2 said:

thx

Please, please, please walk into your first primary sqd and ask that question when the skipper comes into meet and greet his new class!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:

anim_lol.gif

LOL that's priceless. Waiting for Zab's response...

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
Crash2 said:

thx
Awesome. Hey guys, what are my chances of getting my NFO wings and then going back and getting my Pilot wings? Could I wear both at the same time? Also, it's always been my dream to fly backseat in an F-16; how many Navy F-16 Squadron's are two-seaters? :icon_drin

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
This forum is sounding a lot like a Sailor Bob forum. Lets not do that to those who are interested in pursuing the life that we, or at least a good number of us, are fortunate enough to have. Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong, but a simple "why don't you try this in the search line [insert search here]" probably would have suficed. Again, I'm sure it is a lot of sarcasm, but I think it may come across wrong to someone who is new.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Fly Navy said:
anim_lol.gif

LOL that's priceless. Waiting for Zab's response...

no fly, it's true! I even saw the picture up on here. My sister was the skipper of the boat when it canme across. Why do you think the f-16 has a hook????

edit: sorry for the new guy.

1) Never say to ANYONE 'stuck with helos'
2) You can transfer, but as someone said it earlier, don't knock it till you try it.

Reactions: bch

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Crash2,
Try reading this thread:

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9015

If you need more info, try doing a search on this site for "Helo Transition"

Somebody makes the point in that thread that it is much more important to get into the service, accepted for SNA, and through Primary than it is to worry about transitioning. Good advice if you ask me, but at least some of the info you seek should be in that thread.

Good luck.

Crash2

Sorry didnt mean to offend any helo pilots, and i dont have anything against them, its just that i have all my training and ratings in fixed wings and want to pursue a fixed wing career once i get out or retire. i knew absolutly nothing about the military a few weeks ago and am trying my hardest to learn what i need to know for my future. ive researched everything else i really need to know this was just a question ive had weighin on my mind for awhile.

Im new to posting on forums and didnt know about search features, thanks for the links. and thanks for all the hell ive caught for this post. you were all in my shoes once and didnt have a clue about anything we all have to start somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.