• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hope so, I took a film class and like this group of dudes were talking about how they were gonna try to fly in the navy and be like maverick and I know 3 of them sell oxycodone etc…. Wouldn’t want to see any of them in the wardroom or even in the enlisted mess.
“Wardroom” Enough said.

FlyingGator

Let me clarify my position here:

Top Gun puts naval aviation in the spotlight it needs. It is a great film, and it helps fill the overwhelming manpower shortage we face right now.

My issue: when everyone and their grandmother wants to be a pilot, bad apples slip through. Qualified people who are dying to be a naval officer are turned away due to the temporary surge of applicants, which majority of whom just want to take a couple pictures in a cockpit.

My whole position is that, people who are winged or even graduate OCS should be Naval Officers/Aviators for more than just the looking cool part of it. People should want to step up and help the junior sailors, people should want to serve their country. People shouldn’t be there because they want to go blow shit up looking like Tom Cruise. That creates a liability.

FlyingGator

You claim that you’re a former MIDN and current fuck-up. Sounds like a regression to me. Why should a bunch of winged aviators give a fuck what you think? Opinions, assholes, et cetera, et cetera . . .
Yeah, the fuck up part is just because I failed a class. Felt like shit when I made my account lol. I was a MIDN but i left because I couldn’t use my degree in the navy with the options I was presented. I’m a Drone Systems Engineering major, and all my advisors said “you can’t go straight to drones from flight school”. So I was like “fuck it, I’ll apply to fly drones.” Granted I still want to lead, and help wherever I can, it’s just that I feel like I’m wasting my 4 years of education to not make use of my degree and forget everything I learned in my 10 year commitment.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Let me clarify my position here:

Top Gun puts naval aviation in the spotlight it needs. It is a great film, and it helps fill the overwhelming manpower shortage we face right now.

My issue: when everyone and their grandmother wants to be a pilot, bad apples slip through. Qualified people who are dying to be a naval officer are turned away due to the temporary surge of applicants, which majority of whom just want to take a couple pictures in a cockpit.

My whole position is that, people who are winged or even graduate OCS should be Naval Officers/Aviators for more than just the looking cool part of it. People should want to step up and help the junior sailors, people should want to serve their country. People shouldn’t be there because they want to go blow shit up looking like Tom Cruise. That creates a liability.
OK, you just confirmed you have no idea what the hell you’re talking about, so kindly STFU and GTFO. The recruiting, screening, and flight school process doesn’t break down with a surge in applicants. If anything, it’s strengthened, because when twice as many qualified people apply, each step in the process can only select the best of what they get.

Go through my post history and you’ll see why I’m a vehement critic of Navy HR bullshit when that’s a thing. But your posts ain’t it.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the fuck up part is just because I failed a class. Felt like shit when I made my account lol. I was a MIDN but i left because I couldn’t use my degree in the navy with the options I was presented. I’m a Drone Systems Engineering major, and all my advisors said “you can’t go straight to drones from flight school”. So I was like “fuck it, I’ll apply to fly drones.” Granted I still want to lead, and help wherever I can, it’s just that I feel like I’m wasting my 4 years of education to not make use of my degree and forget everything I learned in my 10 year commitment.
As someone else who got punched in the face and had to salvage a career (which I did), this is not the way to go about it. You’re pontificating to a bunch of people who have been there and done that about the things they have been and done, based on your take on a Hollywood movie. This is absurd.

Stop and analyze how much of this is your own emotions versus the reality of Navy Air. No one can ever tell you that feeling your emotions are wrong, but we can for sure question the way you choose to express them in public.

FlyingGator

As someone else who got punched in the face and had to salvage a career (which I did), this is not the way to go about it. You’re pontificating to a bunch of people who have been there and done that about the things they have been and done, based on your take on a Hollywood movie. This is absurd.

Stop and analyze how much of this is your own emotions versus the reality of Navy Air. No one can ever tell you that feeling your emotions are wrong, but we can for sure question the way you choose to express them in public.
Yes sir.

When you said “this is not the way to go about it” do you mean I shouldn’t have resigned?

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes sir.

When you said “this is not the way to go about it” do you mean I shouldn’t have resigned?
I can’t make your own choices. I don’t know because I wasn’t there. I’m saying your take on how a movie is going to affect CNATRA’s ability to screen and assess aviation candidates is ridiculously uninformed.

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
I hope so, I took a film class and like this group of dudes were talking about how they were gonna try to fly in the navy and be like maverick and I know 3 of them sell oxycodone etc…. Wouldn’t want to see any of them in the wardroom or even in the enlisted mess.
More quality sailors in the enlisted mess than you’ll ever be, oh that’s right you quit, so you’ll never know.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where’s Jon Taffer?

SHUT THIS (thread) DOWN
Um, Yeah....no...thanks for the input.
Bill-Lumberg-Uh-Yeah-Office-Space.gif

Side note: I had several friends attend the early sneak peek at NASNI, and they all loved the movie. They said the in flight scenes were awesome. I can't wait.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I hear there are a number of fantastic “throw back” images and memories from the first movie. Very cool.