• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Well half the time, people not in the know think Top Gun is Air Force anyway..I don't know how many times I have heard, "Top Gun is Navy? I didn't know they had airplanes, I thought they just had ships." :banghead_

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What kinda irks me is that there are no recent flicks about Marine aviators out there ("The Great Santini" would be the latest one that I can think of, and that's from '79). Aside from having cameos in True Lies, Independence Day and Live Free or Die Hard, there's nothing. How cool would it be to watch a flick about a present-day Cobra squadron perchance? Or even a Phrog one. :D

You forgot the USAF F-18s from a VMFA squadron in "The Rock!"

Marines get pretty good Hollywood press in general, though. For example, every James Bond film with US troops in it has Marines--helos (OH-6!?!) in Diamonds are Forever, space Marines in Moonraker, a recon squad in Goldeneye, etc.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
^ Colonial Marines in Aliens with their crazy dropship version of the Osprey...
ud4ldropshipqd2.png

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
With all the movies/shows that are Corp heavy, I don't feel so bad.... Full Metal Jacket, Heartbreak Ridge, Flying Leathernecks, Flags of Our Fathers,...about every PTO movie during WW2, Generation Kill, Jarhead, etc etc etc etc...so it pales in comparison and no, Horatio Hornblower doesn't count :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
With all the movies/shows that are Corp heavy, I don't feel so bad.... Full Metal Jacket, Heartbreak Ridge, Flying Leathernecks, Flags of Our Fathers,...about every PTO movie during WW2, Generation Kill, Jarhead, etc etc etc etc...so it pales in comparison and no, Horatio Hornblower doesn't count :)

Hah! Love that miniseries. +1 :)

QuagmireMcGuire

Kinder and Gentler
Oh, how quaint. It would have been Maverick v. Starbuck. Now that I think about it, Apollo does look like Maverick.

Fascinating.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well half the time, people not in the know think Top Gun is Air Force anyway..I don't know how many times I have heard, "Top Gun is Navy? I didn't know they had airplanes, I thought they just had ships." :banghead_

I get that all the time back home from the religious Jews of whom i used to be a part.

Them: "So... you're in the Army?"

Me: "Navy"

Them: "What's the difference"

Me: *facepalm*

then I explain about the Navy and its air power and my being a pilot and officer etc etc

Them: "So you went to bootcamp and stuff? That's cool. Was it crazy?"

Me: "Not exactly. I am an Officer. I went to OCS and earned a commission."

Them: "What's an officer?"

I seriously think anyone who knows I am in the Navy back home thinks I wear a cracker jack uniform, scrub a ship all day and live in a barracks.

Even my best friend, who I explained AT GREAT LENGTH what I am doing in the Navy, was surprised as hell when I took him golfing on base and the gate guard saluted me.

How the hell do you get civilians to understand what it means that you're an officer??

OldNavy

You forgot the USAF F-18s from a VMFA squadron in "The Rock!"

Marines get pretty good Hollywood press in general, though. For example, every James Bond film with US troops in it has Marines--helos (OH-6!?!) in Diamonds are Forever, space Marines in Moonraker, a recon squad in Goldeneye, etc.

Not recent, but don't forget Independence Day...

Coota0

None
I get that all the time back home from the religious Jews of whom i used to be a part.

Them: "So... you're in the Army?"

Me: "Navy"

Them: "What's the difference"

then I explain about the Navy and its air power and my being a pilot and officer etc etc

Them: "So you went to bootcamp and stuff? That's cool. Was it crazy?"

Me: "Not exactly. I am an Officer. I went to OCS and earned a commission."

Them: "What's an officer?"

I seriously think anyone who knows I am in the Navy back home thinks I wear a cracker jack uniform, scrub a ship all day and live in a barracks.

Even my best friend, who I explained AT GREAT LENGTH what I am doing in the Navy, was surprised as hell when I took him golfing on base and the gate guard saluted me.

How the hell do you get civilians to understand what it means that you're an officer??

I feel your pain. First is the explanation that the Army has aircraft and I'm a Warrant Officer, followed by what the hell is a Warrant officer?

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor

I'm beginning to feel your pain. :eek::icon_rage

Friend: "So...you're going into the Air Force, awesome!"

Me: "Actually, the Navy"

Friend: "But I thought you were going to fly."

Me: "Yeah, in the Navy"

Friend: "So, you're not going to fly anymore?"

Me: *facepalm* - long explaination beginning with "Remember in the beginning of Top Gun when..."

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
They will never understand. Civilians suffer from chronic and gross situational "un"awareness. CAGSU or better known in plain terms as dumba**ness. I didn't realize this until my 10 year reunion and was greeted with all the same assumptions and questions. I guess it's cool that they like the movies, but it is frustrating at times when you realize that they don't see about 70% of the details you are seeing when you get together around the water cooler the next day and say sh** like, "Man! Did you see that part where the UH-1 went down and they actually had the correct rotor RPM low horn playing loud! The only thing they screwed up is the aircraft yawed the wrong direction when it was coming down and the pilots were all wearing the wrong patch for that unit!" Yeah...

Lobster

Me: *facepalm* - long explaination beginning with "Remember in the beginning of Top Gun when..."

Its painful, people do that all the time. I almost cringe when asked what it is I'd like to do after school. "Navy? Why not Air Force?" My usual reply of "Because the Air Force guys don't get to land on the boat." Will confuse them long enough to make a quick exit. Also last night I was flipping channels and I stopped on a monster truck thing while they were talking about some new gizmo they put on grave digger. This commentator goes and I'm not kidding I almost fell over, "They are made out of the same material that they uses to make the cables to catch aircraft on those Air Force Carriers."

Me...Double facepalm

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
The biggest frustration is .."That was dumb that you went to college first...most people go into the military and then get their college for free afterward..so why are you doing it backwards?" ...."Oh, I thought you worked your way up to becoming an Officer...because my friend's boyfriend is a Sergeant in the Air Force..and he flies."

Me: But he isn't the pilot, those are Officers...

Them: "No, he's a pilot...trust me, I've known him for like 6 years. He has even shown me his plane."

I didn't want to go into detail that he is the FLIGHT CREW on an AWACS..so I just said "Oh, the Navy is different I guess..."

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

I've had that conversation many times. It usually ends like this for me:

"Have you ever heard of an aircraft carrier?"

"Yeah"

"Well... those planes and helicopters are the ones the Navy flies"

"Oh, I thought the Air Force landed on the Navy's ships."

Status
Not open for further replies.