• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Gun 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Who's taking Lockheed's place? is the one-thumbed horseman still there?

That's the one who left.....not sure who is taking over. Actually I will say that at least one of the remaining 3 is not really that bad. I had a ride with him the other day, and I would say I learned the most from him of any of the instructors I have ridden with so far; the horror stories I heard prior to going in were largely unfounded. I made one big "helmet-fire" kind of mistake early on, and it didn't end up hurting the rest of my "flight".....he gave me some good-natured ribbing of course and a couple good pointers, but we pressed on just like normal. My guess is that those guys just don't handle unprepared students very well.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's the one who left.....not sure who is taking over. Actually I will say that at least one of the remaining 3 is not really that bad. I had a ride with him the other day, and I would say I learned the most from him of any of the instructors I have ridden with so far; the horror stories I heard prior to going in were largely unfounded. I made one big "helmet-fire" kind of mistake early on, and it didn't end up hurting the rest of my "flight".....he gave me some good-natured ribbing of course and a couple good pointers, but we pressed on just like normal. My guess is that those guys just don't handle unprepared students very well.

I think I know the one you're talking about. He isn't bad. He's just a "tough-er" grader than most, and isn't as forgiving as others if you screw stuff up. I had one ride with him, and it wasn't bad (if it was the same "horseman" I'm thinking of).

The other two: One is a screamer. If you fvck up, he gets agitated, and if it snowballs into 2-3 mistakes he starts screaming and cursing.

EDIT

That doesn't sound so bad, but often times instructors forget this is Flight SCHOOL, and that input on a hop is necessary and required. We can't be expected to read the FTI, hop in, and with NO instruction or feedback do it perfectly the first time. That is this guy's problem. (and yes, for all the IPs on here, I did make that clear when I checked out of the squadron, as did others).

They aren't all evil. They just have particular personalities that you have to adapt to and overcome and find out what they want to get the best grades possible.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
^^ Pretty sure we are talking about the same guy. If you do something well, he is a candy man, but when you make a mistake he doesn't cut you any slack, which IMHO is fair. As for the other guys, I have heard similar things, just haven't been there myself yet.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Damn, I'm just itching to close this thread for its complete stupidity. OUSOONER, you are not helping either.

navrn

Hellooooo nurse!
Mav dealing with a difficult female student pilot? When did Navy EO get to Hollywood?

Oh I couldn't help but laugh at all these *facepalm* moments because I think I've heard just about every one!

/start threadjack

A little unrelated, but amusing nonetheless was a similar encounter that amplifies how oblivious civilians can be...

Me: (standing at a patient's bedside in khakis - at a Naval Medical Center)
Patient: So, are you in the military?
Me: *blink, silence* Yes, I am.
Pateint: Oh cool, my husband is in the Navy. What are you?
Me: *blink* Navy, too... anyone you see up here in khaki is Navy.
Patient: (eyeballing my uniform) Oh - what are you?
Me: I'm an Ensign.
Patient: My husband is an E4... what is Ensign?
Me: It's O1.
Patient: (interrupting) Oh! An E1! Well, he's E4 so I guess he can tell you what to do!
Me: Well, not quite... O-1 mean's I'm an Officer.
Patient: Right, he's an officer too - Petty Officer - and he flies!

*facepalm*

Her redfaced AW3 hubby at this point tries to interject the difference between E and O.

LOL

/end threadjack

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Ahh, that makes it even worse when the person in question they are comparing you to is right there! Haha, nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.