• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tom Cruise too short to be a Navy pilot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Seems like the T-45 is designed, if anything, for short people......
That's why, in the 'ol days, it was a beautiful, beautiful thing when we had TWO jet trainers available for the discriminating Naval Air STUD - prospective Naval Aviator to 'select' ...

1. The TA-4: for the tall, handsome, upright, came from a good family, had a good education, married to or were destined to marry a beautiful blond Admiral's daughter .... :captain_1

2. The TF-9: for the rest .... :crazy_125

Huggy Bear

pilot
That's why, in the 'ol days, it was a beautiful, beautiful thing when we had TWO jet trainers available for the discriminating Naval Air STUD - prospective Naval Aviator to 'select' ...

1. The TA-4: for the tall, handsome, upright, came from a good family, had a good education, married to or were destined to marry a beautiful blond Admiral's daughter .... :captain_1

2. The TF-9: for the rest .... :crazy_125

I think that has to be the best use of smilies I've seen in a long while. I've been meaning to expand my smiley vocabulary...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
A4s,

There was actually an A-4 parked at the hold short at NAS Jax the day I did my PPC check ride. I don't know how tall that guy was, but he looked cramped. It was, however, a strange and wonderful sight to share a holdshort with. No idea who still flies the A-4, but it was nice to see.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yessir. You'll be allright though... Usually if you're 6' or taller you just have to fly with your head cocked to the side a bit unless you don't mind it resting on the canopy. From what I hear it's not too bad, it just makes figuring out the ILS needles a bit confusing when you're looking at em sideways.

They'll also make you sign an ejection waiver... Basically just stating that if you have to eject, you are ok with the possibility that if the mild detonating cord fails to shatter the canopy (which it frequently does fail), your head will be the canopy shattering device.

No big deal though. :D

Wait, I was told that you couldn't waive that and the sitting height restrictions were hard. Have things changed at all?

Shpion1

Contributor
Ahh, come on. You know thats the story that Tom Cruise told them. "Oh, sure I could have been a Topgun, but you see, I was too short, 1" too short".

As an oh by the way, some of you guys may know "Kid" Donegan. About as short a pilot I've seenin the nav. He's done okay.

blackbart22

pilot
A friend of mine was about 5'6" and an AD driver. He always said "On takeoff I can see over the nose or get full throw on the rudder. I can't do both."

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A friend of mine was about 5'6" and an AD driver. He always said "On takeoff I can see over the nose or get full throw on the rudder. I can't do both."

I feel that. In T-6 land on C4001 doing my first brake check my on wing told me to go easy on it after I managed to slam us forward abruptly. He told me to make sure I wasn't using too much brake I should have my heels on the floor and use just my toes on the brakes. That really doesn't work for me and my midget feet as in order to have my toes on the brakes, my heels are a good couple inches from the floor. So rough brake checks remained the order of the day for me :eek:

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
People that I know that have actually seen Tom Cruise would question the 5'7" part of that article. I have heard that he isn't an inch over 5'4". I'm sure his "rep" has inflated the height number for him.

Never seen the guy myself, just sayin'.

Will_T

Will_T
What is the hieght restrictions? I mean Im 6'4", so Im guessing I would be too tall for any of the single seat jets, or even as a backseater, but im curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.