• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tipsy Gypsy Leather Patches

Chubby

I've been wondering, if you get the leather patches and have them sewn on your jacket, what do you do when you change squadrons? Seeing as you can't really change out the patches because the holes are already in the leather. Also, I remember hearing somewhere but wasn't sure, can you substitute the leather jacket for the SDB jacket?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had mine sewn on. Everyone with leather patches that I've encountered did the same.

Change squadrons...let's see, odds of going to another operational squadron after your Fleet tour are slim, you may go to a training command. As a salty IP with all those Fleet stories, are you gonna swap out your perfectly aged and worn-in Fleet patch for a...training squadron patch, shiny and new and...gay?

On the flip side, I did go to another operational squadron and kept my Fleet patch. But I wanna keep my mojo.

(I've seen O-4s and above start sewing new squadron patches over the old ones and leaving the squadron name "rocker" underneath still visible. looks cool, but you dfo miss out on the patch art)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
....you may go to a training command. As a salty IP with all those Fleet stories, are you gonna swap out your perfectly aged and worn-in Fleet patch for a...training squadron patch, shiny and new and...gay?

No. Oh, was that a rhetorical question?

Crowbar

None
Serious question here. Do these patches serve any purpose other than status symbol? I mean, I've seen them and sure they look neat, but to spend that much money and wait that long...for what?

FLY_USMC

pilot
I waited 4 years for an authentic Sharps Shiloh 45-120 Buffalo Gun like in "Quigley Down Under" so I guess it just depends on what you want.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll expound a little.

"Status" symbol? I dunno, maybe. Really, who gives a fvck what patches you have.

Reminds me of something my old Skipper said in regards to a guy's ribbon rack. "You can basically read a guy's bio by checking his ribbons". Kind of the same thing with the patches. No, we can't have "Winnebagos" anymore, but you can see another aviator, tell what community he's from, where, platform specifics, maybe even deplyoments made.

The patch thing is a tradition that needs to stick around in Naval Avation. Why not have your "minimum flair"?

As far as the cost...there's no comparison as far as the quality and look of the leather-on-leather vs using embroidered. By the time you hit the Fleet and get them, it isn't like you don't have a little mad money to spend on something you'll have the rest of your life.

Crowbar

None
As far as I know we can't wear them anyway, but that question's been bothering me since I started reading this--with all the talk about the wait lists and ordering windows and what not.

KSUFLY

pilot
Was just digging around the internet and found these guys at www.flightjacket.com who also make leather patches. Seems like there turn around time is a bit shorther than what the tipsy gypsy seems to be getting. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

I purchased a leather jacket from these guys a couple years ago. From my experience they are an awesome company and they do awesome work. They actually sent me two jackets so I could make sure I was getting the right size and then I sent them both back so I could have some special work done on the one that fit right. I was really pleased with their work and I'm sure their leather patches would be great as well.

East

东部
Contributor
Not into USN slang, so can anyone tell me what's a:

can you substitute the leather jacket for the SDB jacket?

:confused:

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Not into USN slang, so can anyone tell me what's a:

can you substitute the leather jacket for the SDB jacket?

:confused:
It's the Service Dress Blues jacket.

59-100-hi.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn you. Now I'm going to go have to look that up. You used to be able to substitute it, and it was legal.

Looked it up out of curiosity after I saw my CO wearing it that way. I was surprised also.