• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Fun fact: China has a “Strategic Pork Reserve”, they also had serious concerns when African Swine Fever decimated their hog population.

Also, you may be interested in the series “Rotten” on Netflix which discusses various parts of the food industry.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

How is blade tenderized more likely to give you e coli then ground meat?
I wondered the same thing. Apparently it's from possible contamination from the tenderizer.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks, I'll look into those.

I wondered the same thing. Apparently it's from possible contamination from the tenderizer.

I get it. Point was why would ground meat from the same source as blade tenderize be safer. Both processes take any surface bacteria and send it in the center of the meat where it may not get hot enough to be rendered safe.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Have tried the meatless options. “Beyond” is horrible- never again. “Incredible” meats is passable on a burger taste test (cooked both side by side), but it’s more expensive, I have no idea what’s in it, and I’m not convinced it’s better for the planet on balance. So put me down for a “Meh, no thanks.”

Vegans crack me up. Ever plowed a field? The number of animals that get killed/displaced would freak them all out, if they weren’t already too busy turning up their noses and plugging their ears at the country life. But go ahead and order another Starbucks Soy Latte. Out of sight, out of mind.

Pasture land seems to work all right for the environment where I live (it’s natural state is prairie, after all), and one (quarter) locally-sourced cow fills the freezer and feeds my family for most of the year.

brownshoe

Contributor
Have tried the meatless options. “Beyond” is horrible- never again. “Incredible” meats is passable on a burger taste test (cooked both side by side), but it’s more expensive, I have no idea what’s in it, and I’m not convinced it’s better for the planet on balance. So put me down for a “Meh, no thanks.”

Vegans crack me up. Ever plowed a field? The number of animals that get killed/displaced would freak them all out, if they weren’t already too busy turning up their noses and plugging their ears at the country life. But go ahead and order another Starbucks Soy Latte. Out of sight, out of mind.

Pasture land seems to work all right for the environment where I live (it’s natural state is prairie, after all), and one (quarter) locally-sourced cow fills the freezer and feeds my family for most of the year.
My next door neighbor:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh, I’m sure I’m already on double probation.

But that was more a clip of Chris Kresser. If you don’t like the clip, here are non-Jocko and non-Rogan alternatives about how and why grassfed meat heals the planet while nourishing people far more efficiently and ethically than a vegan diet:

Soil Carbon Cowboys:

Sacred Cow:

Alan Savory Ted Talk:
Any thoughts on this?

In Sri Lanka, Organic Farming Went Catastrophically Wrong​

A nationwide experiment is abandoned after producing only misery.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Any thoughts on this?

In Sri Lanka, Organic Farming Went Catastrophically Wrong​

A nationwide experiment is abandoned after producing only misery.

ESG is a cancer. It’s going to directly put a lot of Sri Lankans - probably the poorest - at increased risk of famine and death. It’s happening to Dutch farmers too.

A good podcast on this is:
CE79D13B-E63A-4CED-BC20-1655C89144BE.png

taxi1

pilot

We are just not going to be able to feed the planet and be sustainable on everyone eating cow, for example. Going to need to dig into our bag of tricks.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
We are just not going to be able to feed the planet and be sustainable on everyone eating cow, for example. Going to need to dig into our bag of tricks.
Perhaps that speaks more to our (over)population, rather than our methods of feeding them. This isn’t likely to be a popular idea, but just because we can feed 10B people on bugs and hard tack, doesn’t mean we should. More humans isn’t always better for humanity.

While I’m no advocate of mass murder, I am somewhat of the school of thought that a smaller (say 2-4B?) human population could live with a better quality of life on the whole, and it not be unsustainable for the planet. With birth rates already declining in a lot of places, we may eventually be headed that way.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of the most populace countries eat hardly any cow.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Perhaps that speaks more to our (over)population, rather than our methods of feeding them. This isn’t likely to be a popular idea, but just because we can feed 10B people on bugs and hard tack, doesn’t mean we should. More humans isn’t always better for humanity.

While I’m no advocate of mass murder, I am somewhat of the school of thought that a smaller (say 2-4B?) human population could live with a better quality of life on the whole, and it not be unsustainable for the planet. With birth rates already declining in a lot of places, we may eventually be headed that way.
There was an interesting study about what happens if you achieve a utopia. It raises interesting questions about whether or not the declining birthrates we're seeing part of some natural process or reaction to over-abundance in developed nations. This is one of the reasons that some scientists and philosophers have theorized that there is a cap on the human population and nature will correct when we reach it.